Why left wing?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Littlejohn, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Not sure if this has been raised here before although I imagine it has but what is the history, and the rational for using left wing feathers for shuttles, why the left and not the right?

Using left wing feathers ensures that the shuttle rotates in a clockwise direction whereas the right wing would induce an anti-clockwise rotation, so what was behind the thinking that clockwise was better, has it anything to do with the predominance of right handers

My first thought was it was something to do with earths rotation and the coriolis effect, (the water rotation down a plughole thingy) but that cannot be the case because we use the same shuttle in both hemispheres.

So why only the left wing feathers?
    I assume that at some time in the past somebody has produced shuttles using the right wing feathers and had them tested, what was the outcome. Once again I assume they were not deemed to be any good otherwise we would see them being used, at least at basic club level, but why do we not see them, surely the flight characteristic would be the same, just the opposite rotation.

Does anyone have any info as to what the outcome of such a test was (if indeed there was one) was the opposite rotation a distraction…or what?

phihag likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm thinking most players are right handed and perhaps hitting a shuttle with left wing feathers is more consistent in flight? Any ambidextrous players here notice a difference in hitting with both their hands?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. ningbo GIG

ningbo GIG Regular Member

owner of factory
    we also use left and right feather. one shuttlecock use 16 feather must be same , all left or all right.

4. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Thats interesting, I wasnt aware that one could get shuttles made from right wing feathers. does the rotation direction cause any problems. I am assuming that other flight characteristics are the same. Also are these on general sale.
    Do you have any idea why it was stipulated that only left wing feathers should be used, could it be that equipment was available, from another totaly different production process, but that it could cope with perhaps sewing left bias feathers than right. There has to be a reason that BWF, or its fore runners made that call

Thanks for your input