Why do people buy top tier high end rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by AreYouEvenMad, Dec 7, 2022.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

So I've been doing a lot of research on new rackets, since I'm planning to buy a new one. And from what it seems like, there are A LOT of people, who own one or sometimes even several expensive high end rackets. Often these are also rackets that are considered very hard to master, because they are super stiff or head heavy or really unforgiving (things like VZFII or Ryuga for example). But still, people buy them, play with them and seem to be very happy with it. And I want to understand why.

Often people buy rackets, that are also used by pro players. For example Astrox 100ZZ, which is used by Viktor Axelsen seems to be pretty popular here. And let's face it: There's a huge difference between pro players and normal people like us. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people here are bad players. I definitely think there are a lot of good players around here with good technique and lots of experience. But still, when it comes to strength, speed, technique etc., pro players like Axelsen are worlds apart from us mere mortals. But how can the same racket be the right choice for both a good amateur player and some of the best players in the world?

I for example was recommended the Astrox 100ZX when I visited a shop. After doing some research and visiting another shop, I'm also considering the 100ZZ. However I still couldn't decide to buy a racket, because there's a voice in my head saying things like "What if it's too stiff?", "Pros play with it, this racket is too advanced for you" "you lost your last few games, you're not good enough, you don't need and you don't deserve such a racket". And it's not even like I'm a total beginner. My technique is far from perfect and I'm playing really, really low in my country, but I've been playing for more than 6 years now. So it's not like I don't know anything about this sport. Still I can't decide which racket to get or even if I should get any new racket at all or maybe just stick to my old no-name racket.

So on the one side, I question if I really need to go for one of the top tier rackets. After all mid tier rackets could have several advantages: Maybe a better performance, less fatigue and injury risk, it's less expensive and less financial risk if it breaks during doubles. But at the same time, I also feel the "need" to buy one of the mid tier rackets, because no one talks about them and you only read about the top tier ones (in fact, I've already bought several high end rackets myself)

So my question is: What is your reason to buy a high end racket?

Is it because you really tested different rackets and came to the conclusion, that this is the best racket for your play style and skill level?

Or is it because you're fascinated by new technologies and like to try out new stuff?

Is it because pro players use them and people online mainly recommend and talk about the expensive ones? If that's the case: Do you think that maybe we just settle with a racket, if we feel "comfortable enough" with it, although there may be other, less flashy and prestigious rackets that may be even better for us?

Or because Badminton is your main hobby and something's that's important to you and therefore you want to spend big and get the best stuff available? If yes, do you "justify" your racket choice or do you just say "f*ck it, I want this one" :D Like do people buy rackets even if they don't really "need" them?

I hope you guys understand my question and overall thought process and I'm really interested on your thoughts about this :)

2. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

If anyone would see my victor collection, most of the people would think that I am mad :)... but for me it is the most beloved hobby - like air and water, for me it is not a big deal to buy 3 pieces (I buy rackets only in three :).. ) like two/three times a year because it is just interesting to try and it does not cost that much - so why not?

SaxoProf, zeeshan355, thyrif and 4 others like this.
  3. SinggihSW

SinggihSW Regular Member

When choosing a racket, I lean more towards the high end one. This started because I idolized Taufik Hidayat. I bought my first high end, the Arcsaber 11 because of him and it made me love the Arcsaber series because this racket really suits my game. For that reason, I prefer to choose high end Arcsaber series racket that has a "real" Arcsaber feel compared to me having to buy a racket that has the same name(play or tour series) but the feel is not like an Arcsaber, and the high end racket gives the best feeling and feedback when played. But that doesn't mean I didn't buy a Low tier racket, I still bought it because I needed it for my practice.

#3 SinggihSW, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Doubtful about this

Good reasons

That’s a good reason!

People usually like to play with new things. Top end racquets are affordable for a lot of working people who play as amateurs. Every so often we buy new clothes or new phones. Many people buy expensive ones. It just comes down to human nature especially when it comes to hobbies.

I can’t blame the racquet when I play rubbish! :D

Currently using 88D pro . It’s a bit head heavy but not as much as some of the other Yonex racquets. I find a big smash from a head heavy racquet is all very well but I might try to rely on it too much. A slightly head heavy racquet allows me to be faster at the mid court and forecourt.

#4 Cheung, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    ubootsg and boby like this.
  5. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I suppose everyone is different. There are those who love to collect. As for me, I approach buying more practically.

When I started playing about four years, I bought a couple of lower end Yonex rackets including a lower-end version of Astrox 88D. I also tried Astrox 88D the high-end version. I've also bought other Astroxes, Arcsaber, Victor and Li Ning rackets because I was curious with how these rackets felt like.

I've however sold most of the rackets I bought, and am left with BS12 and Nanoflare 800 which suit me most. These two are priced lower than the likes of Astrox 100zz or most high-end Li Ning rackets. For me, it's not whether it's high or low end, I just tried to find what suit me best.

6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I haven't bought many high end racket but I have tried many since my friends seems to like em. I don't find it very hard to wield Axelsen's racket vs intermediate rackets or low end ones.

I think once we know how to swing properly, we adjust to the racket. If it's a light racket, then we swing faster. If it's heavy, then we swing slower. Unless a racket is way too stiff or too flex, there's a considerable range inbetween that we can get used to pretty quickly.

I find high end racket usually has less vibration and more accurate. It also feels more 'alive'. Not that those makes much difference if at all, just more comfortable to wield. We'll still lose to the better player wielding a $20 racket. :D

ubootsg likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

You cant argue with someone hobby as its most likely wont be rational or logical to others. But well, if you love it, then no one can stop you enjoy your own life with your own money.

For myself my preference toward racket are based on how it feel in my hand rather than the price. I like heavy feel & agresive attacking style, thus 3U HH racket are usually my liking. Having try friend racket also shows my tendency toward sledge hammer racket regardless the price.

I own 4 racket now (Lining UC5000, Victor TK770, AVP, Adidas P8). If i think back, each time i want to buy a new racket, the driven are to get new toy & ofcourse the 1st thing i look online are the high end one thinking its the best of the best but in the end i always buy offline in store try to swing it there. Except AVP that i buy online due to the hype & end up dislike it.

Why buy different racket? Im not a tournament player but just hobbyist player so performance stability are not a huge deal to me. Win or lose are just another games for me, no betting nor prize when i win. Also i like borrowing friend new racket to try many different racket & im kinda had dream to own 1 racket i like from each brand & one day when im retired from badminton, i would hang it on the wall like a collection. Sound stupid maybe but so does they who collect miniature toy or gunpla or stamp.

& Last, in general why high end one better?
    High end one had better feedback & stability.

How big the different between high, mid, & low?
    It vary between model, sometimes its very obvious, sometimes its just minor difference.

Other thing about high end one are their generation are maintained well so when you broke your racket, you know exactly which to buy without concerning to much about adaptation phase. Other hand low end are 1 season market & gone , replaced with new model. 38/68, Astrox DG Series, Astrox Clear/Feel/Ability, Games/Play.

Should you get high end one?
    If its a war between Gods, where all skill & power are at equal, then equipment are what matter. Are you fighting again Gods? Makes money as an athlete by joining a tournament? Or just hobbyist club player?
    Or... For mortal, does it even matter 3-5cm height net shot vs 5-7cm height net shot? How many opponent could makes a killing from those shot. Or does using high end racket would makes your net shot become tight 1cm height instantly? I guest not.

In the end if you can afford it & makes you happy, go for it but just becarefull when you are not physically strong or had no good basic technique. But dont just chain yourself inside a cage, fear it would be to much to handle. Challange yourself abit so you could improve yourself constantly.

8. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

I have budget rackets and high end rackets.
    I really like player autograph edition so I have n7ii light Liliyana Natsir edition and Tkfe Hendra Setiawan edition.
    I don't want 88dp or 100zz or ryuga or axforce 90 that without player autograph edition.

Well, I don't mind spend around 200 USD for racket, but people around me will commend negatively if I play suck or if I on fire due to high end rackets.
    And family will comment too.

I will buy either aeronaut 9000c yuta or Voltric LD force in the future
    If u ever try high end racket, it's hard to back to budget or mid rackets

#8 Kwarevo, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  9. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

I've started off with el cheapo rackets from Apacs before getting a Yonex ZF as a gift. Since then I find it hard to go back into getting low end rackets mainly due to the feel between them. I'm not sure how to really explain it, but for me, high end rackets feels kinda sturdy. I actually tried both 100ZX and 100ZZ at a Yonex road show when they just launch and i can really feel the differences between those 2. For me 100ZZ feels easier to handle compare to 100ZX which to me feels like I'm swinging a thick wooden stick o_O
    However companies like Apacs do produce a couple of good mid-range rackets such as the famous AVP which I'm still using as my secondary racket.

10. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I buy high end rackets because I can simply afford it. I haven't used a mid-tier racket in 15 years so I can't honestly say it's because performance, since I never compare mid to top tier.

I used the demo rackets at the club, whatever feels the best for my swing/play, I pick.

Cheung likes this.
  11. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Another reason can be that high end rackets are more popular and do get more reviews on internet. People can then have an idea of how the racket feels/plays instead of buying blindly or based on the specs. Not everyone have access to stores that provide rackets to test.

12. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

personally i get them so i strictly blame my poor form instead of the racket. also to motivate myself to play regularly and keep improving to fully utilize that racket's potential.

rakenrol likes this.
  13. Driger1

Driger1 Regular Member

Once you play Badminton more seriously and spend a significant amount of time on courts you will arguably feel that more expensive rackets have a better feeling in term of overall comforts, especially at the points of impact.

And this "feeling" or "taste" whatever you wanna call it, they accumulate over time and give you more enjoyment in overall playing experience. So you'll have more pleasure and fun as you wield the higher end rackets.

Besides that, having these kind of rackets will provide you confident boost to your brain , bcs you are simply holding a more expensive / better rackets.

Sent from my SM-A325F using Tapatalk