why do Boe / Mogensen lack sportsmanship?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2011' started by chlsy8, May 27, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Unrelated yet related: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...1/heat.fans/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a4

" ... But in terms of popularity, maybe it really doesn't matter. The next worst thing to being expected to win and losing is being expected to win ... and winning. Especially as the Evil Empire and America's Team struggle, the Heat are now the team you love to hate."

As in everything nothing like a good good vs evil to bring out some emotional engagement for the sport ;). I mean how many less threads would there be on this forum if there never was anything controversial :p ...

#61 demolidor, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Not a particular good example, that looks clearly out to me and if I were on court I'd act amazed as well ... There are far worse examples ;) (and even then compared to the most popular sports on the planet it pales in comparison what Bo/Mo do). On the topic of "un-ethical": thanks for linking to that no good "helma1" :rolleyes::p

3. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Is SPELT and NOT SPELL ............LOL .... ........ :D

Past tense !!!

and please stick to the topic next time , thank you !!!

4. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Mo/Bo sounds better than Bo/Mo.

:D:D:D:D:D

5. Siege

Siege Regular Member

Lol! The insecurity is strong in this one!

No one was nation bashing. Seriously, take a chill pill - the focus was on Boe and Mo.

Anyways, so from reading all the posts, basically everyone agrees with what the original poster, except some wouldn't word it as unethical. :)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D "But it didn't stop Lendl winning that match. For tactical reasons or no, sports psychologists say that among world-class players, any advantage gained by distracting an opponent is probably minimal. Those most likely to be annoyed by it are the spectators and commentators. "

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ethics? Sportsmanship? Gamesmanship? In professional sports (pro = play for $$$), it's dog eat dog. If you want to play nice, stay in the amateur/recreational ranks.

You know who was one of the biggest trash talkers in pro sports? It totally psyched out his opponents and always gave him a huge edge. Not that he needed it 'cos he was the greatest to ever play his sport. We're talking about Michael Jordan. He knew what it took to win and used it. I don't see anyone laying into him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

BoMo are pretty much doing the same thing—trying to get an edge to win. Sorry, I can't blame them for that.

#67 madbad, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I guess we have the perfect word as well (which I happened to bump into reading some WTA grunting, unsportsman like behaviour, etc. stories): Gamesmanship

And completely agree with the post right above :)
    There happened to be an article in the danish papers around Christmas when they hit #1 WR like their fellow Dane Wozniacki. Asking a difference between them and Wozniacki: "a couple of millions on the bank!" :D (something of the like anyway)
    Unlike the pampered existence of the Malay, Indo, Korean and Chinese players prize money still makes a difference for Bo/Mo ...

#68 demolidor, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

haha! i like that definition of "gamesmanship"! "Pushing the rules to the limit without getting caught, using whatever dubious methods possible to achieve the desired end."

quite the contrary of sportsmanship... probably not what madbad had in mind when he lumped it with ethics and sportsmanship in his post above. :D

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Why did the World number ones lose all their matches in the Sudirman Cup?

11. visor

visor Regular Member

A lot of errors from what I saw. They even lost to the newly formed INA pair.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

;) I don't know about that: "If you want to play nice, stay in the amateur/recreational ranks."

But with their current spot on the Yonex advisory staff, winning the Super Series Final and the AE I'm sure their cash kitty has filled up nicely. Perhaps they can't start planning what to get at the LV store in Paris next fall as well :p:rolleyes:.

13. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

I try to watch when Bo/ mo compete, hoping to see them lose.

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Relax and adapt

I guess one of the excuses is our society has changed and still changing as compare to the 60-80s where people are less aggressive. Instead of criticizing the so call "unethical" ones we might as well praise the honorable ones like Peter Gade, Lee Chong Wei, Poul Erik Larsen(I recall he even gestured "thumb-up" when his opponent made a great shot), ...(come to think of it, the honorable list is quite short :crying:)
    And this issue is also quite subjective depending on our personality. Simply, just relax and adapt and enjoy whatever great matches presenting to us!

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Because the umpires knew how unpopular BoMo s with ethical BC members and decided to teach them a lesson so gave them a hard time by giving them unnecessary attention. So BoMo felt under the gun, couldn t concentrate, got jittery and gifted their opponents. That should make the ethical BC members delighted but apparently it s not enough. They want to permanently etch BoMo s bad behaviour in BC s history. Hmmmn...as if their action will change BoMo s behaviour...

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. Guess this is what Han s referring to. Highlight good sportsmanship.

17. Siege

Siege Regular Member

You're not funny.

On the other hand, the more they lose the happier I am so :D Nice try ;)

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The Case for Rooting against LeBron

What I mean is: Professional athletes are characters. I’m not sure why this concept gets lost, but it does all the time. Professional athletes get paid money to perform. We pay money to watch. That’s it. We don’t know these athletes. We know some things about them. We try, with varying success, to know more things about them. Beyond that we fill the gaps with our own imaginations. We infuse them with character traits and various qualities that they may or may not possess. Every few days, a famous athlete will do something or say something that will remind us once again how little we really know them, and how we CANNOT know them, for better and worse. Being an admirable athlete does not necessarily make someone an admirable person. Being a despicable athlete does not necessarily make someone a despicable person. Forgetting this is one of the big traps. The biggest athletes are not our friends. They are not our neighbors. They are stars.

But that’s OK … because they are CHARACTERS. We know them through that prism. That’s part of what makes sports fun. We know them as conquerors or as failures, as daring or conservative, as valiant or choker, hero or goat, friend or foe, it’s all part of the game. That’s the sports world we understand. Would it be more fun to have A-Rod as the fifth member of your poker party than Derek Jeter? Would you prefer to live next door to Tom Brady or Kevin Durant? Who would make for a better barbecue guest, Phil Mickelson or Venus Williams? Who knows? Who cares? None of these questions matter one bit, except as chatter. They are all real people, of course, just like Robert DeNiro is a real person, just like Natalie Portman* is a real person, just like Bruce Springsteen is a real person. But they are not real people in MY LIFE. They are characters who help fill my life with all sorts of rich emotions. Anytime, as fans, we start to think of them as much more than that, I think we get ourselves in real trouble.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/06/15/the-case-for-rooting-against-lebron/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

19. Siege

Siege Regular Member

^ Point...? It doesn't matter if Boe and Mo are merely characters; they're still unethical, lol! None of us are attacking them on a personal level (and don't be like "omg but you're saying they're unethical! that's super personal!" cause it's not. It's merely a word that defines what they appear to be to us, which is OK because that's all we can see.) But ok, they're unethical characters if you so please. :)

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Natalie Portman is a REAL person?? :crying::crying::crying: