Why are these rackets so expensive?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by oab729, Apr 22, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Why are the mp 100 and 99 and armortecs and ns so expensive? I really don't see the point? I"m using a karakal sl ti-80 and i notice no improvement in my smash or clear or drops when i use the highly expensive rackets. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Because every company in the world needs to make money. They have workers there, they have expenses on Ads,.....etc. It's common sense.

Rackets are made for people's use. Without a person holding it, a racket can never move nor hit any shuttle. So, don't count on using expensive rackets will change your game a lot. Getting a coach is a better bet.

3. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Ya, i know they don't help very much, but for around .00000001% improvement it is almost three times as expensive.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That shows how successful yonex marketing strategy. Many ppl willing to pay for 50% more, just because xxx or yyy stars are using it. Same thing as Nike, Addidas, Reebok, Wilson, Prince, etc.

5. napee

napee Regular Member

i believe its not really *that* small. previously i play with Cab20TiPwr against my friend, no chance at all. certain loss. now Ti-10, would say better chance. around 50-50.

oh btw, this is just another way of asking, 'does expensive equipment helps' which i've seen oh so many of 'em around just recently.

6. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    They are expensive because you and me keep buying them. End of story. Don't blame the companies, blame yourselves :p

7. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

They are expensive because we pay for the fashion.
    Wait for while esp when new model is launched with new technology, older models will drop in prices.
    After Yonex releases Nanosopeed Series, we see the dip in price of Muscle Power Series.

8. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    u asking why yonex is more expensive then some other brand???:confused: :confused:

then i ask u why is ferrari more expensive then toyota:D :D

that is your answer:)

9. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    lol:D u cant just feel the difference between the rackets right away.
    give a few weeks then u can appreciate the difference between the expensive and non-expensive ones:cool:

10. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

and part of the difference is that Yonex sponsors tournaments and does some advertising, and part of it is Yonex stands behind their products: I've had a Yonex racket replaced by the dealer, not all sellers will do that. And part of it is that Yonex actually does product development research; most other racket makers follow Yonex's lead.

But a lot of it is that Yonex commands a 'brand name' premium because it's Yonex.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if you only notice .00000001% improvement, then you don't need to buy that higher end models

12. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    That's true, everything depends on your playing style, not the racquet's cost... And yes, Yonex is somewhat more expensive, but for me, it's worth every euro!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, all ur own story can tell us is: Ti-10 seems suitable for you, but Cab20TiPwr seems not. For another player, it might be just the other way around. The difference is the personal preference, but not the price.

14. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

NOOOO, i don't mean at all if expensive equipment helps, in my opinion it doesn't help at all, its all propaganda by the companies to make you pay 300% more than what you should be. But i could be wrong and there actually is a reason? Maybe they actually do use more expensive materials or do advertising and research? My question is, what makes these companies charge so much more for something i'd consider a 50$ racket? Thanks

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    here is one possible reason, to give other brands to 'catch up', just like what's toyota is doing on their cars. LOL

Toyota Exec Urges Japan Cos. to Up Prices

Tue Apr 26, 7:06 AM ET Business - AP

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

TOKYO - Toyota's chairman is urging Japanese automakers to raise prices or find other ways to even the playing field with ailing U.S. rivals General Motors and Ford in hopes of heading off a possible protectionist backlash in the crucial North American market.

Toyota Motor Corp. Chairman Hiroshi Okuda was quoted by Japanese media on Tuesday as saying the plight of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. could result in problems for Toyota and other foreign carmakers.

Okuda told reporters Monday that Japan's auto industry must consider a response, such as raising car prices in the United States and cooperating in technology.

"We need to give some time for American companies to take a breath," Okuda was quoted as saying by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Japan's biggest business daily.

16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Besides the racket cost and salaries for people, badminton companies need to pay for:
    1. Sponserships (this will be more than millions, think how many Yonex Opens there are in a year ;) )
    2. Advertisements (this could be in millions)
    3. Legal issues
    4. Payments for their factories/properties/facilities (this could be in millions)
    5. Warranty for their products, this includes labor and materials.
    6. and so on....a lot more.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    These are just costs of running a business. They have nothing to do with the selling prices of Yonex racquets. In a free market, market prices are set by the market, i.e, supply/demand. Only the costs part are within the control of Yonex or of any other company in business. If the high Yonex racquet prices are based on their costs, then Yonex would be the world's biggest company, easily 100 times the size of Exxon/Mobil.
    Some people call these high prices of Yonex racquets a "premium". This premium would be called goodwill if another organization were to buy over Yonex, paying a princely sum for the goodwill that is in the Yonex name. :D

18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Are you saying cost of running a business has absolutely nothing to do with its product price? :rolleyes:

I am sure that every company in the world would determine the profit amount of its product based on their total cost plus other factors. Otherwise, why don't they just sell rackets $1 USD above the material+labor cost? (Yeah, they will be making $1 per racket, and that's still earning if you consider materials+labor cost only)

If a company cannot make enough of profit to pay off its electricity and water bills, it will be impossible to run the business.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The costs of running a business do not influence one bit the selling price of a product or service. Prices of produsts or services are set by market forces. Yonex has no control over the prices of their products, only costs. It is people like us who set prices for Yonex. Therefore the costs incurred by Yonex for promotions and sponsorships have no impact on the selling price of their products, only the bottom line. Therefore it is not fair to blame the high prices of Yonex racquets on such promotions and sponsorships. Selling prices are not cost-pushed or cost-based.
    Yonex is doing very well because it is a well run business with excellent management. :) :cool:

20. Dokkaew

Dokkaew Regular Member

Sales
    I'm a sales person working in the marketing dept. of my comp. and of course you have to take the cost of running the business into the equation when determining sales price. However, demand and supply is also relevant but since it is variable (same goes for the standard of living), that is why price in different countries will vary. I'm positive that Yonex has really put in some effort to develop good racquets and although the high price may be more related to the marketing strategy than the cost in development, it is because we keep buying them making Yonex able to maintain it at the high price.

Anyhow, performance of each racquet is up to people's preference, skills, techniques and also some psycology (Thinking that an expensive racquet is better may actually make your game better). Some people do not feel much different using one racquect to another but other people may find their game much more improved.

I use to use a Wilson Hyper Carbon 6.5 but after changing to a CAB21, I've seem tremendous improvement in my game.;)

Cheers!