Who's happy, who's not? Historical view

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by 2cents, Oct 15, 2006.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    TH should be the happiest, he got the 2nd place which is the best he got in recently 7 or 8 tournaments. What to complain for?

The most unhappy guy should be Bao CL, the finalist at WC, who lost in the first round to TH by just 2 points. Eliminated in the first round, should be BCL's worst results for many years. Before the Japan open, Bao not only the finalist at WC, but also won the only 6 star Korea open while LD kept winning other 4 tournaments.

Lin Dan has extended winning steak to 5 tournaments, 30 matches. It is really incredible. Is there anyone, including Lin Dan himself did the same before? I don't think so. We may say now he's the best in history, but still so many people here argue he needs to verify as the best currently.

Taufik's runner up position is the best for him now. I am pretty happy for him. He even had not entered final 4 while Lin Dan kept winning 4 tournaments, and Bao won the other Korea open with Lin's absence.

If Taufik has won the Japan open, he would have been the best? Does Taufik need to be verified? How come LD's 5 titles including the WC not as valuable as TH's 1 title ? Thanks god, it was LD who won the Japan open.

If we just look at one match, LD might not much better than his opponents, if look at just one point, many players can win against LD for 1 point. But for continuously 5 tournaments wins, no body even come close in history. That's something really awesome. LD's enemy is not any current player anymore, his enemy is the history.

If we argue too much in details, we could get lost. It is true that LD could lose to anybody if the match is just 1 point match. But if we view it as the 5 tournaments in a row, there is none even close to what LD has done.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

It seems unnoticed that LD has a 30 matches winning steak. If Taufik had won 30 matches in a row, 5 tournaments, including the WC, he would be thought more powerful than God. ;)

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

The difference between LD and others, cannot be observed at micro-level. I expected LD won the Taipei Open, but not the other titles. Just before Hong Kong open, I found he was not as good as Chen Jin in training. Even himself admitted he's not in form before the Hong Kong open. But it was still the LD who claimed the HKO. And players, like CJ, may not be that different at micro-level. But far away behind at macro-level. Something missing in CJ which is important to win a title or continuous titles. Some pattern unique to LD, could be only seen in historical view.

4. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Lin Dan is without a doubt the number one player this year. I still think that technically Taufik has more skill. But to say that this makes him a better player is false. Being a great player is about more than just skill, it is also about mental strength, consistency, stamina, the "desire to win" etc. And taking into account all of these things places Lin Dan as the undeniable best, and most consistent player of 2006. I really think that above all it's his attitude towards the game, and his desire to win that has caused him to do so time and time again. His consistent wins of course only add to his already super high confidence levels.

Still Taufik can have a very good attitude towards the game when not playing Lin Dan. It's just when the two come up against each other, it means more than anything for them to win. And for Taufik, I think he will need to have a more open and relaxed frame of mind when playing Lin Dan in the future if he is to have any chance against him. He'll also need to train far harder than he has been recently. He can't be the best if he doesn't put in the required effort.

Both players have what it takes to be the best, but for now, and unless Taufik really makes a change, Lin Dan is overall the better player.

Others like Lee Chong Wei, Chen Jin etc. can also be a real threat to Lin Dan, but not just yet. There's no saying who will come out on top in the future, we will just have to wait and see. Peter Gade is a great player, but he's definitely getting old, and he's only going to get older. I can't see him making any huge improvements from here on, though he will continue to have the ability to beat the other top players from time to time while he still plays.

Is it really true that Lin Dan has won 30 consecutive matches though? That's just crazy :S.

#4 phaarix, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  5. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

Undoubtedly LD is the No.1 MS player at present.

He lost to three players only after WC2005: CH, PG in China Masters once, and LCW in MO once. And he beats all top players in various occasions continuously.
    Only CH may have a slim edge over LD, I think, as they are teammates with same coaches.
    LD beats TH three times after he lost in WC2005. TH was definitely a powerful opponent, in the before. However TH’s desperate expression in the recent JO shows TH’s despair at the fact that now even when he is in form and has tried with all his might, he still cannot beat LD.
    After his stupid mistake when he was leading 20:13, LD kept beating LCW in the following consecutive 3 tourneys.
    As for PG, if he did not win by chance once this March, he kept losing to LD 8 or 9 times after November 2002.

To make competition tough and interesting, I do hope TH will recover and LCW catch up, as these are the only ones who have potential to rival LD. Maybe CJ also, in the long run.

6. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    TH and LCW should often practice together in order to beat LD. Perhaps, they can play double only to beat single LD.,,,:eek:

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I wonder if that would work better or worse hehe.

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i would rate LD amongst the best MS that the world has ever seen, up there with the likes of Yang Yang, Morten Frost and Rudy Hartono. well, maybe not with Rudy just yet ... :D

his consistency is amazing though, 30 matches without defeat, the last time i remember him losing was in the MO, to LCW.

9. s239rt

s239rt Regular Member

want to see ppl's opinion on this. Ya I agree LD is the best at the moment, and I am big fan of him as well. But if you PUT him into the legend list... hmmmm well put it this way, I think the rest of his opponents are just NOT at that HIGH level in general compare to say in the old days. Although LD winning record TRUELY is amazing and I don't recall guys like Yang Yang etc DID that before.(a side note, an an older generation chinese player Mr. Tong was able to have a winning steak for a consective of 5 years or something, someone can verify this, cause this is by far a even bigger achievement.**talking about the 60 to 70s guy haha**)

As back to the level of MS in general, is just like the MD at JO, Tony and Candra, won VERY easily and without a single 3rd match(as I rememered) through out the whole tournament. They put the chinese pair down so badly, at least score wise. Well, that just shows how some EX or maybe we should say ALMOST retire pairs can be like a total LEVEL above the rest of the world at the moment. I will put my bet on them if they keep on pairing for say the coming 2007's matches. They should have a very Long consecutive wins.

Last note, however, LD, even comparing to my video clips say yang yang etc, he got an extra edge on the mental side. he really , I think, by far the most mentally strong player I have ever seen(notice I didn't say by far in history, just because I haven't had the chance to watch all the great players).

10. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    30 matches in a row :eek: That's amazing :eek: :D Lin Dan is the best in badminton history :D Hope he will keep winning until he retires...;) :D

11. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

What LD had and not many MS players had right now is strength mental, great stamina and the desire to win.

Specially in team event. Since he started play Thomas Cup 2002 for China team, he never lost once whenever he played in team event even if his team lost. He won in all his performance in TC 2002,2004 and 2006 plus win all Sudirman Cup 2005 matches. Where did he pick up the mental strength and the confident? You had to give him that.

12. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Some players get extra motivation when they play in team events...

Obviously LD is one of them.

Frustrating for his opponents because they can't even beat him in "normal" tournaments.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    easy answer.
    LD improve the most on his mental strength, all due to his dismal exit in 2001 athen and his crazy lost at 05 WC, where he play like he saw a ghost. He learned from those bad experiences. LD also improved on the stamina, nets, clears depts as well. Early this year (2006) i noticed LD clearing and doing long rallies as opposed to his jump smashing his way through. LD is so all around skilled now that he only use his cannon jump smashes sparingly, or when his other skills are not working which doesnt happen too often.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's too bad for the fans...

..to not be able to enjoy and watch a full display of efforts from TH vs. LinDan, meaning a full 3-setters, in any scoring format...Most if not all of the time, it's been either a lop-sided affair, a walk-out, or "give away" effort..(correct me if i'm wrong on this)...:p :(

For *once*, i'd like to see this happen(sorry, i don't really recall, maybe there's been one before)....Whenever it may be, we will await..:rolleyes: :p:cool:

15. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

To put into perspective it's an even harder feat nowadays given the general level is higher. The guys at the peak top 10 are arguably the same, but the lower level players are much stronger than 20 years ago (better training, more accessible coaching, more serious badminton nations) so getting to the semi's is much harder than in the 80's 70's or 60's.

Taufik definitely needs to work much harder. LCW and LD have been pushing each other for the last 6 months and LD is not the same player anymore. Those battles w/ LCW have honed his game and intensity. To make up that difference will require alot of hard work, but it is good to see that Taufik seems to be coming back.

Derek

16. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

Can anyone confirm this? I know Lin Dan is a great player and consistent won in most of the tournaments he entered but 30 consecutive wins is unbelievable I'd have to remain a bit doubtful. I think I can believe 15 or maybe 20 but 30 is too much?

Is there a way we all can check this number?

17. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    If you don't count in the "bye of 1st round" + "walk off the court" + "give away game", then it is about 23-25 games in a row. Wait... should we count the match that he owned Hafiz for free in WC... just kidding.

He won 6 consecutive tournaments, and in each tournament there are 5 games you must win to be the champion. Since he was always seeded #1 or 2, he would always get a "bye" 1st round pretty much.:cool:
    Now, in each tournament he must have at least beat 2 world class players in the semi and the final, so that would make his winning record against pure top class players be a consecutive 12 games!!!

Still, if anyone still doesn't think that is convincing enough number of tournament won consecutively, maybe they should try beating LD himself.

#17 bananaboy, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  18. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

Great analysis.

19. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Well, in that case, it really needs to be a group effort, like 1-vs-n :D

20. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

when you guys notice

Indonesia & Malaysia Open are the difficult one to win for Lin Dan hehehehehehehehe...... but I believe he is aiming for those 2 open tournaments in the future :p

Lin Dan made a badminton history with his winning record.