who will win the 2005 Sudirman Cup?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by mikki, Mar 16, 2005.

?

Who will win the 2005 Sudirman Cup?

1. China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hong Kong, China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Indonesia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sweden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Thailand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. peace

peace Regular Member

Yes, SC 2003 was very surprised....China lost to Korea....but I think the next SC will be for China...since now, Korean MD is not strong enough and also XD (except if Kim/Ra compete)..and for WS and WD I think China is still unbeatable..only MS will have a bit risk...since Lin Dan often play a tight match with Lee Hyun-il...
    So...my prediction for China vs Korea :

MS : 60-40 for China (hope LIN DAN will play..because last SC...Chen Hong lost to Lee Hyun-il)...
    WS : 100 % for China
    MD : 60-40 for China
    WD : 100 % for China
    XD ; 70-30 for China
    so in the worst case, I guess China will still win for 3-2 :p

If against Indonesia, well my prediction :

MS : 50-50 (especially if Taufik Hidayat already recovered 100 % from his injury..and hope China will play Bao Chun Lai or at least Lin Dan...in this case..Bao have better record against Taufik)
    WS : no doubt 100 % for China (Indonesian WS are too weak)
    MD : 50-50
    WD : as WS no doubt 100 % for China
    XD : 60-40 for China (since Nova/Lilyana always find difficulties against Zhang/Gao)
    so...I think China can beat Indonesia for 4-1

Against Denmark...hmm :
    MS : 50-50
    WS : 100 % China
    MD : 50-50
    WD : 100 % China
    XD : 55-45 for China
    so...China still has bigger chance to win...:D ..

If other team want to win the SC...they must work very hard...since they must win all the three matches besides women matches (WS and WD)

So..my prediction is CHINA
    :D

2. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Guys and girls, before we predict who will win this cup, should we predict who will emerge as 2 semifinalist from group 1 A?

Remember that Jun Jae Yon didn't made it into Korea Sudirman cup probably due to injury. So the WS in this group will had the same chances to gain 1 point.

Korea WS : Seo Yon Hee
    England WS : Tracey Hallam
    Thailand WS : Salakjit P
    Denmark WS : Tine Rasmussen

And of course Ra Kyung Min and Kim Dong Moon is back. But can they still play as good as before they lost in Oympic 2004?

Korea XD : Kim/Ra or Lee/Lee
    Thailand XD : Saralee/Sudket
    England XD : Nathan/Gail
    Denmark XD : Jens/Mette or Jonas Rasmussen/Rikke O

The WD didn't effect much with Ra Kyung Min here cause with Lee/Lee I am sure that they can get one point from other WD in group 1A.

Men Doubles will be interesting too when Denmark meet Korean.

For Men Singles, Bonsak had good chances to gain point from Lee Hyun Il cause he had 2-0 record against Lee. Korea propably lost 1 point from MS when they met Denmark.

So who are the two team you pick to go to SF from group 1A?

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Korea's weak points are the singles. Korea will lose 2 points here to Denmark, one point to England (Seo loses) and Thailand (Seo, Boonsak win). In the doubles, Korea will have to field their strongest lineup against Denmark if they hope to win, Lee/Jung, Lee/Lee and Lee/Lee (or Park/Ra if they prove to be better). Denmark will probably concede the WD, will have a fair chance in the MD, and have the luxury of fielding Laybourn/Juhl, so no players will have to play twice a day. England will lose both the MD and WD to Korea, even the XD is not a sure thing for them. Similarly for Thailand.

Korea v Denmark 2-3
    Korea v Thailand 3-2
    Korea v England 4-1

Denmark will thrash England. England can only hope to score a point from Robertson/Emms or perhaps another from WD, which is Denmark's weakest point. Against Thailand, Denmark will have to concede a point in the WD and maybe another in the XD, but I can't see a winning point for the Thais.

Denmark v England 4-1
    Denmark v Thailand 3-2

So, there. My prediction is for Denmark to top the group and Korea to finish second.

4. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

china will win because of team results..this is more of watching denmark and korea fight for 1st runner up because they both got good women players after the chinese,in which case is almost non existent in the indonesians

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In fact, due to that weakness, Indonesia may even lose to Malaysia. The winning point will be the men's singles.

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

china !!!! Lin Dan , Xie Xingfang , Yang Wei , Zhang Jiewen , Chen Hong , Zhang Ning , whole r the best player !

7. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

i am a big big china team fan ... but i must admit that the best in the sudirman cup is that we won't see a all chinese final lool !!

8. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    I am disagree with you.
    Even Indonesia lack of lady player, but always be counted by the other teams.
    As the matter as fact, Indonesia will count on its MS, MD and XD.
    MS, Taufik has more than 60% chance to win against whatever Malays MS.
    MD, Alven/Luluk or Candra/Sigit have more than 70% chance to win against whatever Malays MD.
    Also XD, Nova/Lelyana has more than 70% chance to win against whatever Malays XD.
    I can be wrong, but statisticaly, at this moment, Indonesia will win agaist Malaysia.

By the way, Indonesia will never face Malaysia in this Sudirman Cup. Indonesia is in the big 8, Malaysia not.
    It will -maybe- happen if Indonesia loses all the matches and should compete in play-off round.

9. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    China will win the Sudirman Cup for sure.
    If there are any bookie playing in this tournament, please let me know, I'll bet half of what I have to buy China win.

10. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Malaysia has a good prospect of being promoted to Division 1 due to the fast improving WD and XD.

anyway, can anyone tell me who is in div.2 together with malaysia?

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Russia, Netherlands and Chinese Taïpeï... no easy match here!

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    This is for group 2A.

Group 2B has Singapore, Japan, Germany and Ukraine.

Only one of these eight teams will be promoted to group 1 if I'm not mistaken...

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Hope Malaysia could top the groups from MS, MD and WD

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    High Team Morale Is The Key

The poll has swayed very much in favour of China in the Sudirman Cup!

On the other hand, except for the women's events, whereby the standards of the other countries' ladies are a level lower than China's, yet in the men's department, whilst China appears to be very strong on paper, we have seen that they could be beaten.

So I believe that the key to being successful in the SC is not just "on paper" alone, but on how team members perform during the actual proceedings themselves.

In this regard, high team spirit, morale and camaradarie is crucial to team success and can turn a seemingly lost cause into victory. We have seen in the past that 'weaker' players can be cajoled in giving of their best and turn the tables on their stronger opponents.

Some posters have ventured to say tha even in the ladies singles, Japan and Korea have outstanding players who could be 'fired up' to play above themselves. And don't underestimate what the Korean ladies can do in the doubles as well!

Which of the top contending teams that you feel possess this extraordinary and very special x-factor of super team spirit and morale such that they can even overcome the Great Wall of China? :rolleyes:

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think Denmark and Korea could have this extra "team spirit".
    Not sure about Indonesia as there are so many problems inside PBSI at the moment.
    Though I think they have big chances of winning in the end, I hope to see China seriously shaken! for the interest of the sport... [​IMG]

16. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    On paper China was stronger and better than Korea in Sudirman 2003.
    But Korea won the cup because of its Team Spirit.
    At that moment, nobody had ever predicted that Chen Hong would lose to Lee Hyun Il.

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thailand

Funny that no one cites Thailand as a potential outsider... (only two votes)

With very good WD (Saralee/Sathinee) and XD (Sudket/Saralee), plus Boonsak in MS, they are potentially capable of beating anyone too...
    Of course, they would need to all play the matches of their lifes at the same time... but that's what team spirit is all about! ;)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I've also observed that Thailand has made impressive improvements as a team. Now their XD is capable of matching any pair in the world and still has a chance of winning!

Imagine if Boonsak is a full-time pro and not part-time law student, what would it have been? Similarly for his sister in women's singles.

With a top countryman as President of IBF, it is no wonder that Thailand is closing in on the top Asian badminton nations, with only China a clear street ahead. Thailand could certainly upset Indonesia and Malaysia in the Sudirman Cup, that is if ever they should meet, because Thailand's ladies are shaping up nicely! ;)

19. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

i think they would definetly trouble denmark and korea, who are favorites to come out on top from group A
    i predict 3-2 for Denmark against thailand, because i think they would lose wd and xd, but win all the rest.
    i predict 4-1 or 3-2 for Korea. Even though Thai WD pair is good, they are still not good enough to beat China and LEe/Lee, at least consistently. However, they might win one from xd or ms, as shon or lee hyun il are not as sharp as they were b4 olympics. However, i doubt they will lose md or ws.

20. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think how far Danmark can go depends on who will play MD. Peter Gade may have better skills, but Kenneth Jonassen has better recent records and consistent against Asian players. I watched Peter Gade on DVD a couple times, and he definitely is slower after the injury, and making too many mistakes. If Denmark team sticks with Peter, I doubt if Denmark can gain any MS points against China, Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Korea and Thailand. If Kenneth plays MS, I think he will get 1 point from Malaysia, Korea and Thailand, and give Lin Dan and Taufik a good fight.

#80 Qidong, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005