Who paid the bill

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by hm..., May 29, 2001.

1. hm...

hm... Guest

I just read the news that there is NO audience for Sudirman Cup which's supposed to be the highest level team competition in Badminton. I've never heard of any other sport like this. For a sport like this, there is no need to have any tournament at all.

Personally, I think badminton is fun for both playing and watching. But I have found very very FEW people sharing the same like me in real life. Almost all people around me think badminton is only a fun for kids.

On the other hand, on this board, many people don't even have a chance to watch it on tapes. I am wondering whether the people here on this forum are the only badminton fans on this earth?

2. hm...

hm... Guest

By the way, I have never played badminton indoor. I play badminton the backyard version. I have a complete set of badminton equipment with me. When my family, my friends had a picnic or backyard barbecue, I always set the badminton field up, and beg everyone play with me. Of course, I've never lost any match so far. I thought I was invincible. But I was not happy with no one takes badminton seriously. I was even laughed at many times of being too serious about badminton. Sometimes, I doubt myself whether i am really sick?

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    you'll be suprised at the amount of badminton fans who love watching and playing badminton. I can assure you that i am a devoted badminton fan..... Prehaps you live in a country where badminton isn't such a "recognised" sport. I live in Singapore, a country where sports is considered a necessity, well at least the government tries to make it seem that way..... I've lived in Indonesia for 12 years and i've grown up with the sport.

Maybe on the location of the Sudirman Cup is why its not so crowded there. Bring it to Indonesia or China and i can assure you the stadium will be packed with die hard badminton fans

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Your not really sick........ with all due respect to those people who laughed at you, put them in a badminton court with someone who can play the game and they'll be the ones being laughed at

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Someone get me a plane ticket to Spain. I assure you I'll turn out at every match. No, every training session! No wonder Gade said he would like the T-Cup in Malaysia though. Wonder what's it gonna be like in Holland two yrs from now.

6. Wedge4Life

Wedge4Life Guest

badminton as played on a bumpy lawn w/wind blowing over a low net w/bad raquet strings and shuttles of poor quality is Not a sport

badminton on a court still is not a sport .. if players have the intention of hitting the shuttle directly to one another in an effort to mearly keep the shuttle in the air.

badminton becomes a sport when the object of the game is beating the opponent by means of superior technique, fitness and overall skill. it becomes a great sport when the required level of technique, fitness and overall skill in winning is at a very high level and thus requires years of training and preparation.

i think if you really like badminton you should stop playing on the lawn and find a club where u can play on a real court.

and if you watch badminton in top competitions u can see that it can infact be an amazing sport.... so long as you know that, it does not matter what others think..let them be ignorant.

7. jayes

jayes Guest

Backyard badminton

Hmm, reminiscing on backyard badminton...

When I was training for my tournaments, I was encouraged to play the backyard badminton. :) The object of the training was to hit the shuttle against the wind using my beloved steel racquet - backhand and forehand, over the net for at least one hour.

That was one of the training (among others) that I had to go through. Neighbors would certainly jest and I can empathize with you on that.

I would encourage you to keep on playing badminton, be it indoors or outdoors. If you are really serious, perhaps there is a club somewhere nearby you can join (or start one?). If nothing else, play for fun and health.

Cheers. :) :)