Who is Sudirman ?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by jkusmanto, May 8, 2005.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Born in 29 April 1922, his friends called him Dirk.
    He is one of the fonders of PBSI.
    As a badminton fanatic, he and his friends came together in Bandung in 1951, to talk about badminton. Then they declered the born of PBSI. He is the first chairman.

In 1957-58 Indo almost didn't attend to Thomas Cup because of no fund.
    No doubt, he sold his car to collect money. Then Indo's team with Ferry Sonneville, Tan Joe Hok, Nyoo Kim Bie succesed to bring Thomas Cup to Indonesia.

In 1970 He is choosen to be one of IBF Vice Presidents and resigned in 1983 because of his healty. At that time he was also Vice President of ABC.

But the most importance thing that he has done is, he is the person who brought IBF and WBF (World Badminton Federation) together to the table to talk about reconsiliation in 1979 in Bandung. As a result, IBF and WBF become one again and signed an agreement in Japan 24 May 1981.

Non-directly but sure that the agreement in Japan brought Badminton for the first time in 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona.

Dirk Sudirman died on 10 June 1986.
    For his achievement in Badminton,

The idea to create a mix team beside Thomas and Uber had already been in IBF in 1986 (the year when Sudirman died), but the agreement of mixed team was signed 2 yerars later in 1988.
    As a request from Indonesia, IBF agreed to named the new cup as Sudirman Cup. To remember one of the finding father of PBSI, an achievement for badminton.

Sudirman Cup is 80 cm high, coated by 22 carat gold. Octagon badminton form, on Jati wood. On the top is replicate from Borobodur temple.

Attached Files:

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    okay, u know what, i didnt know that the sudirman is this sudirman, i always thought that it was that sudirman who was national hero, whose name is used to name one of the busiest street in jakarta (i c u're an indo, so i reckon u know who he is:D) silly me:p

3. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT