Who covers the net? Different situations

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Herzfrequenz, May 14, 2015.

1. Herzfrequenz

Herzfrequenz Regular Member

Hi everyone. All my questions concern men doubles

Defending formation

1. If left defender took drophshot aggressively into opponent’s backhand to the rear line (shuttlecock is 1.5m above the net and opponent take a shuttle backhand side of the racquette), who is covering right net against expectable dropshot?
    2. Same question, but shuttlecock is landing at the net level (or below) on the rear line. I think it’s clear that left player must take the right net. If so who is on the left net corner?
    3. Defence again. Defender on the right takes smash quite positively along his line – the shuttle is again at the net level on the opponent side. Right player goes to net? Who takes the left net corner?

Attacking formation

4. The rear player is performing attacking clear along the line into opponent’s backhand. The opponent is under pressure and wouldn’t answer with smash. The net player stays to cover the net on the right side against dropshot. Should the rear player take the left side accordingly? Or players should move into parallel, the rear player taking one step forward so that to cover right net corner, while the net player takes a step back and takes the left net corner?

Receive a short serve

5. I’m receive in attacking manner into the center where the rear opponent player is, he then answers to the right/left net corner. Must I take it or leave it for my partner?
    6. I’m putting the shuttle into the right/left side midcourt. Should I then cover the line leaving the opposite side net to my partner, or take all the net not trying to get into position with my racket raised so that to cover the line? In the last case I think I just will not be able to get to the opposite side net.
    I also noticed that some pros after receiving a serve from the right side to the left midcourt immediantely go there to cover the line. They can be easily caught wrongfooted if the shuttle goes to the cross net. Should this be done? Is it the same on the left/right side?

7. Same as #6, but I make an agressive return to the right/left rearcourt.
    Noticed that in situation like this players more often take a step back in order to catch a flat shot along the line.

#1 Herzfrequenz, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I would always advice the player who did the shot to follow through to the net and cover both sides of the net obviously.
    The one who did the shot can usually better judge whether it's an aggressive shot that should be followed through.

4. There is no (attacking) clear in men's doubles. If there is a clear, you should go to defending position, everyone takes his side.

5. If you take it aggressively, you follow through, take the net (and intercepts) partner covers rearcourt.

6. If it's aggressive enough (opponent has to take it below net level), you follow through and take the net. You may also speculate/anticipate to take a longline drive, but the net is def yours!

7. Same as 6.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    one thing to remember, even it says the other partner should defend the rearcourt, actually the other partner should be a bit more in the midcourt when one takes the net. Keep the distance between you and your partner a bit more close, approximately half the court.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Your questions are quite specific, but I believe you are considering this in the wrong way. The one who played the shot can more or less choose his position, whilst his partner will cover the rest of the court.

If after playing a shot, the player who plays the shot chooses to cover the net, then they are responsible for both the left and right sides of the net. It is normal to give preference to the straight net replies - you will have plenty of time to get the cross court shot. If this player chooses to cover the net, then they should make an obvious move forwards (leaving a gap at the back of the court) - this signals to partner that they should move back to assume a rearcourt attacking position.

If the player who played the shot remains further back it shows that they are covering their side - so their partner should cover their side.

So for example in situation 4 - the net players stays at the net - the net player is responsible for the entire net because of where they were stood.

For examples 5,6 and 7, you are in a very different position to normal, because you are so close to the net already. Your goal is to cover anything that comes to the net, on the right or left side. Not many shots will come to the net - they need to be quite slow and loopy to actually come to the net. Anything a little faster and flatter will go past you too quickly - leave it for your partner. You mentioned that some professionals move in a certain way after they receive serve - this is so they can try to cover one of the faster shots - they are unlikely to be able to cover both sides - they are too far forwards!

I hope that makes sense - its less to do with individual situations and rules, as it is to do with a general concept - if you are too far forwards, your partner should receive anything that comes flat and fast over the net. If you choose to stand in a certain position e.g. at the front or at the side, then your partner needs to cover the remaining area.