Which team will be European Mixed Team Champion

Discussion in 'European Championships 2006' started by cxytdn, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think he did too, but Donna (Kellog) wouldn't have a great chance either!

I agree with you and Mag on the XD, and WD to an extent. But the WS with tine only just returning from injury and no match experience of the new scoring system, it will be tough for her to compete.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    OK, Donna, Tracey, Alison, Janet, Susan, Jack or Jill... it doesn't matter what their names are, if Tine's recovered she's beating them all! :D

Seriously though -- I just don't see Denmark losing this time. But then again, I've been proven wrong before. *cough*

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It is Denmark vs Netherlands in the final.
    Netherlands has just beaten England 3-2, with Mia contributing 2 points in the singles and doubles. The other pt comes from Dicky Palyama.

I think Denmark will win the men's singles and doubles comfortably; and perhaps the mixed doubles as well. Mia will take the pt in women's singles, while the women's doubles could go either way. So, its either 4-1 or 3-2 to Denmark.

4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i suppose that's the trouble with being a strong women's doubles pair - but not that strong - there is a lot of pressure on gail and donna to win their rubbers in order to get england thru, the singles events are always going to lose us two points against the bigger nations, men's doubles isn't always guaranteed, whereas the mixed your looking at greater than even chance of winning,

but disappointed that we didn't get thru - like you all said - an england denmark final would have been closely contested. I doubt tine is back to full fitness / match sharpness after such a long absence so tracey probably stood a chance. WD could go either way, MD would go to denmark, MS would go to denmark, XD could go either way, so if the either way results go in englands favour they would have won the team comp - however, they don't even get the chance because they couldn't even beat Holland!!! grrr.. wonder if they were saving themselves for the individuals???

Coops

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Netherlands had been lucky. Their record so far is Spain 4-1, Sweden 3-2, Scotland 3-2, then England 3-2. Somehow they just had enough firepower to overcome their opponents.

I think against Denmark, they will lose 3-2, but maybe they will get a lucky break in one of those matches they expect to lose.

6. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    dont forget the Netherlands have home team advantage too:) But I think Denmark is too strong. Go Denmark!

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Heavy Indonesian influence. And they have Yao Jie as well.

I think Yao Jie will play WS considering that Tine is still far from her best. Then, Mia can concentrate on getting that WD point. But it's hard to see another point coming.

In a lot of ways, Denmark is now sufferring the "Malaysian syndrome" (weaker women players).

8. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    The picture on the main website for the European Championships would make a good 'who's this'. Does anyone know who the lefty in the skirt is?

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    Lucky? We all know you need some luck in tournaments :p

4-1 Spain
    All the games were won in straight games, the MD lost to 18 and 17 after winning the first set to 13
    -Fair enough, spain aren't exactly dangerous :eek:

3-2 Sweden
    The singles were won in straight games, while the other 3 rubbers went to 3 games each.

3-2 Scotland
    MS, WS, WD all in straight games, the MD was lost in 2 (not suprising) and the XD lost in three 21-18 15-21 18-21

3-2 England
    WS and WD in straight games (16 7, 15 16 respectively). XD and MD lost in straight games. Decisive MS won in 3 21-13 16-21 17-21
    I'd say this is the only place they got lucky ;)

2-3 Denmark
    Womens events go to NED, everything else to Danes....unless they suffer an injury while playing *touchwood*

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm it seems like netherlands are planning to lose 3-1 (4-1) and playing other players in the MD and WD?

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I don't really think the dutch will stand a chance...they haven't lined up Mia or dicky....
    Ya Jie will get a WS point. maybe the WD, but a close call...

I wa sthere Saturday, Man those Danes can play!

Stars of teh day were Spitko and Joopien form Germany, But Thomas Laybourn showed amazing skill, ease and relaxation on the court...Kaldau si no pushover either...what a great day it was...