Which Chinese WS players will go to Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Jun 20, 2012.

?

Which Chinese WS players will go the Olympics?

1. WYH + WX + WSX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WYH + WX + LXR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. WYH + WSX + LXR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. WX + WSX + LXR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Before or after the verdict has been announced, that is a big difference :p

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, it's a torture, esp for you and repented boy (in this thread, probably running out of issues).

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yeah, I too had the same take but re-watched it and it should be after the selection.

4. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    yup, i do enjoy more nature than those man-made objects :)
    indeed the world today is freaking scaring for me, watching over the endless popped-up troubles around the globe :(:mad:
    but life must carry on... ;)

well, just try to enjoy the flow of nature, the flow of life itself :p

“I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” — Lao Tzu

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ahh, Laozi, one of the few Great Sages in history. Laozi is anything but simple to understand, deep,profound,cryptic,even mysterious. In your quotation, 'patience' and 'compassion' may seem easy enough to comprehend but 'simplicity',what does Laozi mean by it is the core of his philosophy. Those interested are well advised to read the master's magnum opus, Dao De Jing,but if that is too abstruse (which it actually is, generally speaking),the next best thing is to read scholarly works on him, the problem is no one academic/scholar/writer is considered as definitive,authoritative, even till today 2500 years later.Pardon me,of topic.

On topic,does anybody know when the CHN team is leaving for London,what about WSX and other reserves/backup players? I read the entire CHN Olympic contingent is 396 athletes, 612 when you include all the support staff and officials. Surprisingly,the CHN Olympic chief says they may not beat the 51 gold medals they won last time, saying 40 golds is quite achievable, reverse psychology? How to be the No.1 sporting superpower if they don't at least equal their last gold or overall medal haul if not exceed it?

CHN expect most of their medals to come from Table-Tennis,Badminton,Diving,Gymnastics,Shooting,and Weightlifting.

Lastly,wonder what the CHN gold medal winners will get as their rewards. In some other countries,they will be handsomely rewarded, a few may be set for life. For MAS badminton, I read the reward for winning gold is 2mil RM(Ringgit) worth of gold bars plus considerable cash(1mil RM?) which will be shared if there is more than one gold medal winner, in addition to a lifetime pension. Not sure if this is a motivating factor or added pressure for a less than 100% fit Lee CW.

6. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

from what i read and understand, CHN olympic contingent consists of 396 athletes, as compare to 612 athletes in beijing..

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Either my memory failed me or I got it wrong, just couldn't recall where I read it. Still, it doesn't make sense for CHN to send a much smaller contingent of athletes this time. Anyway, if you've the source, you can verify it, thanks.

8. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the article says this year is 396. Beijing was 639.

how on earth did they managed to put in the lucky numbers in there in both times with just different permutations?

10. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Because the home country always gets a place allocated, if it desires. If I remember correctly. Not that it would account for the entire difference. But you can bet they considered their own games more important than any other.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ah yes, thank you for the correction, the 612 should be 639 referring to the Beijing 2008 athletes contingent. However,I vaguely recall the article I glanced at was a different one,not AFP or Yahoo news, where I thought the 612 figure included the support staff and officials.

Actually I was searching for something else when I came across it and didn't carefully read all the contents as it wasn't what I was searching for. Still, I appreciate it; I stand corrected. Thanks again:)

No wonder CHN is more modest with their medal target, but a smaller contingent doesn't mean they cannot do as well as the last time or better because they now have quite a few medal contenders in swimming and track and field where they were quite weak in before.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That explains it, host country privilege or entitlement, good you brought this point up.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #393 pcll99, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    giggles on the part where LYB arrives.

and WOW on the part where these superfit athlete look like they just came out of torture camp!

and i wonder if Zhang Jun took the gondola up?

and is that a new tattoo for Lin Dan?

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so Du Pengyu most fit, Chen Jin, Lin Dan, Chen Long next.

MS players are fitter.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fu Haifeng was stung by a bee near his left ankle, that slowed him down a bit. Indeed,Du Penyu,the first to arrive at the interim point and then again at the final peak,apparently was the fittest of the lot, the women were generally behind the men, as expected despite all being superb athletes. DPY took only 20 mins 44 secs to complete the climb.

Zhang Ning and Zhang Jun were there too at the foot of the mountain gathering some of the players and getting ready to set off. Li Yongbo was shown as the first to arrive at the peak, that's because he set off earlier than the rest, he took about 43 minutes to reach the top.He said as a coach he wanted to experience what the players are going through in training and get an idea of their physical condition - good for him to set an example even though as head coach his role is more managerial than coaching and training.For LYB,he said this was his first time climbing (this?) mountain.

According to the TV commentators, mountain climbing is part of the training and they used to do it when they are at Beijing,this time it's Laoshan Mountain near Qindao. Cai Yun at age 32 did well to finish among the first few after Chen Long. Caught a glimpse of Wang Shixian. Wang Yihan on reaching the top walked to the side looking out the mountain to let out a long yell as a form of relieving stress.

The whole team looks to be in good spirits.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Players invited to the London Olympic Games Phase 3 updated 9 July (23.59 Hours BWF headquarters time)
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=377842&tid=1

N
    oticed something strange, the date shown for WSX's decline and LXR's acceptance is stated as 6th Jul but the public, including BCers, came to know about it on or after 9th Jul. Don't tell me BWF was informed on the 6th and the change was kept secret or unannounced till a few days later? What's the rationale? BWF's regulation to wait for all the BAs by the cut-off date , I suppose. Could WSX and a few insiders (such as Gong Weijie) got wind of it before the 9th?

(Poor WSX, you crave for Guangqian street's snacks while I crave to visit Huangshan Mountain, how about I treat you to the snacks and then you accompany me to tour Huangshan, all expenses paid ? That should lift you up.)

18. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Yeah thts what I too noticed when I first had a look at the acceptence list. So the players are aware, of it and I guess CBA also talks to them and teke them into confidence or else we wld have seen more Chinese players representing other countries... with the competition so stiff there n oppurtunities so limited who wouldnt want their own glory, comforts and luxaries in life?
    Just Imagine WSX representing US :)

19. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

no problem mate.. cheers :)

20. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

There're rules for representing different countries :p Which I'm sure would be difficult to fulfil within a couple of days ...