where can I take lesson

Discussion in 'USA West' started by brownsonc, Dec 21, 2004.

1. brownsonc

brownsonc Regular Member

Does any one know where can I take a private training/lesson in the bay area for adult? I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee.

I'm new to the sport and I'm loving it. I want to improve my footwork/technique so that I won't get into the bad/wrong habbit.

BTW, what is the best way to hook up with other single players to partner with you? I've found it's not too many ppl go to the gym by her/himself.

Most ppl I talked to; agree that once their partner quit playing, they also stop playing, cuz, it's hard to find ppl to play with if you go there by yourself.

I really enjoy the game, I wish this game will get more popular in the US.

Thanks in advance,

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I agree that it is often very difficult to hook up with other ppl if you go into an open gym by yourself. Badminton players tend to play exclusively with friends or regulars that they know. It's not easy to break into these cliques at times.

If you get to an open gym early, you can sometimes get ppl to warm up with you before their friends show up. You might try classes at a local community college just to find ppl to play with.

I am aware of some coaches in the south bay area but not closer to SF. You might try talking to **** Ng who is a regular at So. SF High School. I don't think that he teaches anymore but he might be able to put you in touch with a good coach. His own daughter is coached at San Jose State University on the weekends by Kevin Zeng ( www.vsconline.org ).

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO HIGH SCHOOL
    400 B Street South San Francisco, CA 94080

SCHEDULE:
    Mon: 06:30pm - 09:30pm
    Wed: 06:30pm - 09:30pm
    Thu: 06:30pm - 09:30pm

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    So. SF HS

I just noticed in your other thread that So SF High School might be closed. You might try calling the Rec dept at 415-877-8560 to find out when it is open. Not sure if he is still out there but you might also try Dan Leong at So SF HS as a possible coach. He sued to work with **** Ng when they had a junior program for the So SF Badminton Club.

Another place to try is BinTang in Sunnyvale...

http://www.bintangbadminton.com

4. brownsonc

brownsonc Regular Member

South S.F. closed for the holidays?

Systemicanomaly,

THanks for the info. I'll try them?
    Do you know how much does it cost? Is it per session?

yah, I went to South SF high last night and they were closed. there were no post when they will reopen.

In regards of joining other ppl in a open gym, I noticed ppl in different gyms have different attitudes. players in Westmore are more friendly and easier to join in if you are by yourself, where as, in smaller gym, the "regular" players there will ignore you and rather play within their own group.

This sport seems Just like tennis, if you don't have a partner, you can't play. this is not good in generating interest in Badminton.

Thanks again for your reply.

Brownsonc

5. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

aright...**** ng quit coaching a LONG time ago..haha and it sucks because he woulda been the best coach for u cause he's doing it for the love of the game not for money ( also because of the fact that he only charged 20 dollars a month including birdies, free tournament fee, and racket stringing)...haha wells on with the subject...bintang charges around 300-400 dollars a quarter, there is also a VERY good coach in san jose and he charges 390 dollars for 3 months once a week. There will also be a gym openinig up in melo park early next year so u might wanna try their too. the coaches there would include ben lee (us national champ and olympian) and mike yang (US national player and triple crown in the bay area open). so yeh i'll let u know when that opens

hope that helps