When Is Shuttle In?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by coryprice, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    To Woody's post immediately above only one reaction is possible: "hear hear, case closed!"

2. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    And that was my question in the first place: "If the feathers touch does it count as in, or does it have to be the head of the shuttle?"

I think that has been answered... :)

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Now, tell me what would you say when your opponent says his shot is in because the shuttle's feathers touched the line although the cork was out? Has any linesman or umpire ever ruled in any BWF Championships on such a possibility? The laws are silent on which part of the shuttle should hit the floor. But isn't obvious that the shuttle, short of its cork/base being completely separated from its feathers, can land on the floor only one way-cork/base first.
    Clarification is important so that there will be no spurious claims of a shuttle having landed in on its feathers but on its cork/base.
    However, this is based on feather shuttles. I am not sure if plastics behave differently. Plastics may well be capable of dropping feathers down first because plastics have very poor recovery or turnover rate.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A slight correction above.

5. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I believe I might say he was seeing things because I think it's impossible for the feathers to touch first. :)

But I might concede the point, because maybe he mistook the cork for the feathers, and either way what he saw was "in".

6. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    I think that is the reason for saying to watch where the cork hits...we all agree now that any part of the shuttle hitting the line makes it in....the reason for saying the cork is simply to make it easier to judge when you do not have to worry about the feathers...It is so hard to see where a shuttle hits when it is traveling at such high speed...

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Guys, I think the best solution for this is for the BWF to require Hawk-eye cameras during an international match (just like in tennis) and add a rule regarding its application. Just like in tennis, players are allowed three challenges per set if they think that the line judge's call is wrong. If a player "challenge" the call, that's the only time the Hawk-eye result is gonna be shown.

8. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    The Hawk eye is great but the TV people are the ones that have to put it in and set up everything including extra staff...I would love to see it used in all super series matches....