When Is Shuttle In?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by coryprice, Aug 21, 2008.

1. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I read the laws of badminton on the World Badminton website, or at least looked in all areas where I thought it would be...

Just wondering if a shuttle is considered "in" when any part of it hits the line, or is it just if the head does? If the feathers or some other part hit it because it is landing on its side, does that still count as in, if the head is outside the line when it contacts the ground?

Or maybe that's not physically possible to do...would the head always land first, no matter what shot and what angle is played?

Thanks,
    Cory

2. Heong

Heong Regular Member

It has to 'directly' touch the line to be in, which is the opposite to tennis.

In tennis, it will be in it it touches anywhere on the line. Which i find weird..

Anyone want to add on?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  4. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Like a little bit to the outside.. hard to explain.

5. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    feathers cant touch line first. physics :) So if the cork touchs the line, its in.

6. Heong

Heong Regular Member

What i mean is;

Cork touch the line = In
    Cork touch the line on very edge = Out

Anyhows, the line has about the same width as the cork, so if half the cork is out of the line, then it is out..? =="

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    this is easy - if the bird looks to have touched the line with the cork, its in.
    If it looks to have barely grazed the very edge of the line with the cork, its in.
    If you are not sure because the bird traveled to fast and it was very close to the line, its in.
    only when you are sure that you saw the bird land outside is it "out"

in my club, benefit of the doubt always goes to the opponent.

8. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

it is possible for the feathers to touch the line first, generally we've called it as if any part of the shuttle touches the line, its in. I know some people who say if the cork lands out but the feathers touch the line, it is out.
    we only call out if we clearly see it out, if we don't see the shuttle or are not sure, we call it in.

9. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    From this I am assuming you have seen the feathers touch the line first.

I guess I was just wondering if there is an official rule that states if undetermined by seeing it either clearly out or in, that you rule that it lands in.

I have been taught that the rule states if any part of the shuttle touches the line it is in, so if 1/4" of the cork touches it's in, but wasn't sure if this meant also if the feathers touch, since this would be rare, if not impossible due to physics.

I see a lot of posters saying if they don't see it clearly out it is considered in, and here it is said that if you don't see the shuttle we call it in, but I know at international matches, if the line judges don't see it, they cover their eyes, and then it goes to the umpire to decide in, out or let.

10. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    If it's a flat smash, the bird will be relatively flat and the cork might hit out while the feathers, trailing behind it, touch the line. It's like if I were to try to dive in the pool, and my legs (which represent the feathers) hit the edge of the pool while my head (the cork) makes it in.

In terms of how this is ruled, I think that the cork is what counts, so the feathers don't matter. So if the cork is out, the shot is out. As for how much of the line it must touch, I personally think that it should be that if the cork touched the line at all, then it touched the line and it's in. After all, how the heck, even with instant replay super-speed cameras, can we tell exactly how much of the birdie touched the line and how much did not? Thus, I believe that if the bird touches the line at all, it's in.

Of course, I may be wrong. But, "That's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump/Tom Hanks.

11. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    We use the cork only...if the cork is out the whole shuttle is out...this really only comes up on smashes where the cork can be out and the feathers touch the line, but it is still out...We dont have many International judges here but the one that I play with told me this is how he does it....

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Which part of the shuttle lands on the floor (or the line) first - the cork or the feathers?

Can it be conceivable that the feathers would land first? :confused:

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yes..........................

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I can't think of a shot the the feather falls first

15. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    That would sure be the easiest rule in my opinion...

Is it me or are we letting technology or whatever cause us to look at this game going down to the deepest level...? (I hope it's not just me who sees this... :) )

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    maybe the shuttle keeps tumbling until it land feather first.......:D

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Not if it a feather shuttlecock. But it might happen with a nylon shuttle if the skirt collapses so much that it can land skirt first.:cool:

18. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    That was a cool reply taneepak.

19. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    haha i was just going to say that, this happened before to me in a tournament i hit a netshot and it rolled over the net and to the side kept rolling down the net tumbaling as it went and my opponent left it cause they though it would land out bit it landed feathers first on the line then the cork touched the ground outside the line.

so it is possible and in the end the point was mind cause it did land in since if any part of the shuttles touches the line then its in regardless of how small that part may be but in reality though the problem lies within trying to see if any part touches the line or not.

20. HunglikeAbull

HunglikeAbull Regular Member

Makes all the sense in the world to me. If any part of the bird touches whatever part of the line on first contact with the ground, then the shot is in. (Imagine if the shot was purposely executed this way. Imagine the skill that went into it. :cool:)