What's all this about stiff heavy rackets like ti10??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BodManTin, Nov 29, 2001.

1. BodManTin

BodManTin Guest

Looking through the archives there's all this talk on these rackets not being for weak wristed players. When I first started playing I was using much heavier 2 piece rackets, this was just around the time when Graphite came in and things started to get lighter.

And before that people were using wood to hit the shuttles about. Those were heavy rackets!

So what's all this stuff about heavy stiff rackets not being for weak wristed players?

I've played with ISI2000's (remember those?), Grays, through to Kennex 787s, Snow Peak's, Cab 20's the lot.

If you want to pick up a racket, heavy, or light, go pick it up and play with it. If it hurts your arm and wrist, build them up or play less. You're not going to turn into a pro just cos you got a good racket.

2. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Think you've got a little mixed up as with a lot of people about 'head-heavy' racketslike the Ti-10.

The reason why many of us do not recommend it for players with weak forearms is that it risks long term injury in the hands of the uninitiated. I'm a very seasoned badminton player ( on and off 10++ years ) and to most people I play with, I've got very decent forearm and wrist strength. However, when using the Ti-10, I have problems !!

If I do not get a problem warm-up and do proper stretching after, I get a really sore forearm and I've strained by arm likewise in the process. Which is why, for people who are less 'seasoned', it poses a long-term injury issue! I have played with wooden rakets before too and I definitely know the difference.

Reason being the extremely stiff shaft and frame of the racket. It does not damp out vibrations and its even worse when your basic technique is not anyway near correct.

Which is why, its always advised that beginners start of with flexible to moderately stiff rackets until they develop the kind of strength required or risk unnecessary injury.

3. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Think you've got a little mixed up as with a lot of people about 'head-heavy' rackets like the Ti-10.

The reason why many of us do not recommend it for players with weak forearms is that it risks long term injury in the hands of the uninitiated. I'm a very seasoned badminton player ( on and off 10++ years ) and to most people I play with, I've got very decent forearm and wrist strength. However, when using the Ti-10, I have problems !!

If I do not get a proper warm-up and do proper stretching after, I get a really sore forearm and I've strained by arm likewise in the process. Which is why, for people who are less 'seasoned', it poses a long-term injury issue! I have played with wooden rakets before too and I definitely know the difference.

Reason being the extremely stiff shaft and frame of the racket.

Which is why, its always advised that beginners start off with flexible to moderately stiff rackets until they develop the kind of strength required or risk unnecessary injury. As in most things in life, there aren't any shortcuts.