What thickness is most common by strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Pim Nijmeijer, Mar 6, 2017.

?

What brand of strings is the best?

1. Yonex

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Ashaway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kirshbaum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carlton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Victor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Babolat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pim Nijmeijer

Pim Nijmeijer New Member

Hello,

Yesterday I bought an stringing machine so I can start stringing my own racket and from others. But I don't know much about the string thickness. I hear a lot about the Yonex BG 65, but is 65 the standard thickness? If people brake the string just because the wear, does that mean they need thicker strings or is there something else going on. I can use any information about strings, what brand is best, what thickness for wich kind of player(attacker, tactical, etc.). Any information is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Sorry to say it that way and clear, but I think you should just start to string your own rackets before you touch any others racket as a noob.

Thick strings normally have a better durability, feel softer at the same tension compared to thinner strings. Have less feel and less repulsion. Thinner strings normally have less durability, feel tighter at same tension, have often a better feel and more repulsion. They are also some exceptions, but this break it down for many strings.

If somebody break strings, you have many factors for the breakage:

-wear and tear
    -mishits
    -wrong storing
    -use of not suitable tension
    -ditched or crimped string due stringer
    -a sharp grommet

etc.

You have many reasons and not every breakage happen on the same spot, so you can investigate sometimes, why the string broke. But it's normal that strings break due a few month of usage. Your favorite pair of shoes, get also one day a hole for comparison due walking miles.

Most recreational and club players don't invest much in several restrings, so they go normally for thick strings. Thick means anything 0.7mm and above. With plastics a good choice.
    Some more serious low level players invest a bit more money in badminton and go for a better performance. The choose mostly strings around 0.68mm.
    A few people with deeper pockets, who just care about performance and use also thin strings with feathers. But people also differ. It's not set in stone. Same with tensions.

As a stringer, I recommend to use the string what you like and stock the strings which other like. BG65 is the choice of most average players. I would call anything between 0.65 to 0.7mm a standard. Anything thinner or thicker is extreme. Especially thicker strings are not as easy to string like thinner ones. E.g. Shared holes and weaving in general. Other people will don't agree here. As your neighbour (Germany) I can tell you that Yonex strings will be requested by over 90% of my customers.We have nearly the same badminton enviroment.

IMO there is no brand with the best or worst strings. Yonex have a few decent string and a bunch which I don't like. Some people like other brands, but normally most people are satisfied by Yonex. Anything else is too exotic. I would say that strings for different brands have a unique feel. That's why I don't like Ashaway and prefer Yonex.

I recommend you to buy a cheap string, to practice your first jobs. Otherwise you will burn money and waste string. Also stock some grommets. If you like I can offer you Gosen Pro70 (single set = 10m @ 1,50€) + shipping costs + a few grommets to start. From Germany to NL it will be just a few days. Just drop me a PM if you are interested. :)

West204 likes this.
  3. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Dear sir, 1.50euro for a set is quiet cheap. Where can I buy a roll at that price?
    I'm in canada by the way.

thank you

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I got it with connections from sweden. A friend of mine knew the owner and placed a huge order, so I got discount and paid for the reel ~30€ incl. shipping.