What sport should be left out of the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by **KZ**, Dec 2, 2006.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The news just came in that a South Korean equestrian rider died from a fall during the Asian Games competition. How sad. This sport can be dangerous, for rider and horse.

2. Saphira

Saphira Regular Member

student
    awww how sad, yes its a very dangerous sport for horse and the rider:crying:
    but curling, yes didnt Scotland win one of their only medals at curling, yey how wonderful, its only a game not a sport.

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    curling is harmless..... :)
    yep....read it on astro AG news update section.....I think the horse fell on the rider

4. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I believe that was how Christopher Reeves (Guy who used to play Superman) became paralyzed (quadrapalegic, I think is the term). Horses are very powerful, heavy, and fast, and if you slip, you're going to have to get lucky to live.

Curling? I thought that was in the Olympics already and was a sport, not just a game?

5. Saphira

Saphira Regular Member

student
    it is, but iam saying it ought to be jus a game, bit like playing marbles on ice.

yes horse riding is great if a bit dangerous, even when u have been riding for years.

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    My favourite game probably doesn't deserve to be in the olympics. I call it the 30 yard dash. The basic elements are :
    1. I wait for my friend to get up from his desk and walk to the printer
    2. I call his number from my office
    3. I watch him dash back to his phone when it rings
    4. I hang up just as he picks it up

Haven't played it for a long time because we now have phones with called id on the display.

btw, I watched loads of curling at the last olympics. I found it addictive.

7. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    LOL! I should try something like that. I haven't seen too much curling, but I find it to be like hockey chess: Very strategic.

8. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

IMHO, these sports don't belong:

Summer: diving, synchronised swimming, badminton (you heard me :)), baseball (done), football/soccer, gymnastics, judo, modern pentathlon, sailing, softball (done), table tennis, taekwondo and tennis.

Winter sports: figure skating.

9. Saphira

Saphira Regular Member

student
    ha!! roller skating is a recognised sport by the Olympic committee! what were they thinking.?

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Doha Equestrian Tragedy–report

Sorry, off-topic, but another poster had mentioned about it. Truly tragic.:(

DAGOC mourns rider after fatal fall
    Friday, 08 December, 2006
    (from the Doha-2006 website)

DAGOC mourns the death of Korean rider Kim Hyung Chil
    Equestrian athlete Kim Hyung Chil of Korea has died after falling from his horse during the individual cross country competition this morning, Thursday 7 December.

Father-of-two Kim, 47, from Seoul, was crushed under his mount Bundaberg Black while attempting the eighth fence at Sports City Temporary Venue in Doha.

The horse is under observation and there are no visible injuries. Kim was the oldest among the Korea equestrian team and won silver in the team competition at the 2002 Asian Games in Busan.

Doha Asian Games Organising Committee (DAGOC) announced the news at an official press conference attended by Chung Hyun Sook, Chef de Mission of Korea.

“On behalf of the Doha Asian Games Organising Committee, I send my deepest sympathies on the sad loss of Kim Hyung Chil,” said Ahmed Abdulla Al Khulaifi, DAGOC’s Deputy Director General of Corporate Support.

“The competition has lost a noble and an able rider. Our prayers and thoughts are with the family of the deceased, the whole South Korean team participating in Doha 2006 and the people of the nation. May God grant him eternal rest and the family great strength in their hour of distress,” Mr Al Khulaifi added.

The competition resumed after two-and-a-half hours, following approval by the technical delegate, who inspected the course and the fence following the tragic accident. The technical delegate had cleared the competition in the morning, following which the event commenced.

Dr Abdulwahab Almusleh, Head of DAGOC’s Medical Committee, said the rider was crushed by his horse Bundaberg Black after falling while clearing the 1.5m-high fence.

“The medics who rushed to the spot immediately resuscitated him [but] found the rider to be pulse-less. The resuscitation continued en route to the hospital before he was pronounced dead at 10:15am.

“Our deepest sympathies go toward the family, friends and the South Korean team participating in Doha 2006.”

Hussain Al Musallam, Director General of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), also expressed deep regrets for the tragic loss of the rider.

“I am shocked at the death of this well-known athlete. The OCA and the family of NOCs [National Olympic Committees] extend our sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased sportsman.”

Christopher Hodson, Vice-President of the International Equestrian Federation who also addressed the media during the press conference said a mandatory investigation had begun into the incident. “We are deeply distressed at this incident and send our condolences to the family and the nation,” he said.

A one minute silence was observed across all venues and DAGOC has suspended cultural activities in the Athletes’ Village.

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, curling is very much a finesse and thinking man's sport. To those who don't know this sport, it can look ridiculous, but to the initiated, it can be riveting. I personally enjoy watching it. :)

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I played curling in high school. It's not as easy as it looks. Lots of finesse, strategy and team work.

13. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Eh? baseball? soccer? gymnastics? judo? pentathlon? softball? what?! I can't even finish listing. In your opinion, then, what does belong?:confused:

14. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

The remaining ones, of course. :)

15. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I disagree with most of them, but I am also confused with your reasoning. Are you saying that ice dancing should stay while figure skating goes? No judo but keep wrestling? Badminton?!:eek: That was a joke, right? Also, why should the pentathlon go when the triathlon, biathlon, and other track & field events stay? :confused: Also, why do you not want those sports in the Olympics?

#75 hiroisuke, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Figure skating includes ice dancing as well as individual and pair events.

And you're right, after further consideration the Modern Pentathlon should stay, IMHO; but, the triathlon should go in its place.

The IOC should trim down the # of sports and events to keep the cost of hosting an Olympic manageable. Thus giving more cities around the world a chance to be hosts, if they so choose.

17. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I see. Triathlon should go? How 'bout biathlon? True, it's quite expensive, but I think that instead of cutting down on the number of sports, we should extend the time periods between them, or perhaps make them more reusable later and a center of growth (economical, ecological, educational, etc.).

18. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    u must be jkin....gymnastics is really a difficult thing to do....has been in the olympics since the earlier days....badminton?????:eek:
    might as well have no olympics

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let me revive this tread in the light of two new 2016 olympic sports lightyears apart: Golf and Rugby (7's). Also women's boxing was voted in for 2012.

Anyway coming back to the thread title:

What makes a good Olympic sport?

By Tom Geoghegan
    BBC News Magazine

Golf and rugby sevens have moved a step closer to becoming competitive Summer Olympics sports. With synchronised swimming already there, and lifesaving recognised as a sport by the Games, what does it require to join the party?

For a fortnight every four years, in living rooms across the UK, the same complaint rings out.

"THAT shouldn't be an Olympic sport!"

The sight of water gymnasts with nose-clips, make-up and fixed grins, millionaire tennis players competing for Olympic gold or someone twirling a ribbon is enough to send sofa-bound sports purists into a fury.

Expect further heated debate on Thursday as the International Olympic Committee's executive recommended that rugby sevens and golf be included in the 2016 Games. A final decision rests with IOC members in October, when the host city will also be announced.

NOT CONTESTED BUT RECOGNISED
    Bridge
    Chess
    Orienteering
    Powerboating
    Lifesaving
    Tug of war

There were seven in the running - golf, squash, baseball, softball, roller sports and karate. The last sport to be added was triathlon for the 2000 Sydney Games, bringing to an end three decades of continuous Olympics expansion.

So what are the criteria involved in assessing what's in or out?

"The key factors in determining a sport's suitability for the Olympic programme include youth appeal, universality, popularity, good governance, respect for athletes and respect for the Olympic values," says a spokeswoman for the IOC.

Complete story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8197885.stm

#79 demolidor, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Haha from further down the article:

Jim White, sports columnist at the Daily Telegraph, says that seeing sports live can challenge pre-conceived notions.

"For most of these events, you go along thinking these are absurdities, but find yourself impressed by the excellence on show. I went to the synchronised diving, thinking it was an absurdity but I couldn't get over the athleticism and bravery of the competitors."

There are three requirements for an Olympic sport, says White. It must be physically demanding, enough to get out of breath.

And an Olympic gold medal should be the pinnacle of achievement, making golf, tennis and football inadmissible. AGREE

Thirdly, it must have spectator appeal. Some Olympic sports are too self-indulgent and require television to make them watchable, he says.

"Shooting is incomprehensible to the naked eye and involves lying down. I would think these prevent it from qualifying as a sport and if archery qualifies then darts does, although I'm not decrying the skill involved."

Rugby sevens has a good case to make because it's great to watch and very competitive. But in general, we should be taking sports out of the Olympics, not putting them in, says White, with shooting top of the list and football and tennis not far behind.

Synchronised swimming also has to go, not least because it's so repetitive.

"It's like Groundhog Day. They all do the same routine and there's no variance in their approach, so when you've seen five of them, you've lost the will to live."