What is wrong with LCW?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by smashko, Dec 8, 2006.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Exactly, that is why I said LCW is an excellent player but TH and LD are great player, just one notch better, and that is not a slight to LCW, LCW I wouldcall an over-achiever, considering his strength and physique to qualify for so many Open finals, getting bronze in AG and WC, and being third best in the world is no laughing matter. His technique and fluidity in his motion is a joy to watch, MO06 and AE06, I must have watch so many times.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I hope you are not right about LCW although you may be. I believe LCW is born gifted in badminton otherwise hard work alone will not bring about what he has shown.He may still be a work in progress and LiMao may still be able to tease more gifts out of him. In that sense I wouldn't call him an overachiever.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'great' when referring to TH and LD. My guess is 'great' as in many or big titles won. I 'd like to see TH win another big title(outside INA) without a big INA crowd behind him.Likewise for LD. LCW never has the advantage of a big MAS crowd outside MAS so when he wins outside MAS, he's winning on his own steam.In that sense , he's great.
    What TH and LD have that's one notch above LCW is 'match experience'. I may be wrong but LCW may be 1 or 2 years behind in terms of match maturity before he comes of age and can win consistently.
    Contrary to your earlier post about LD not respecting LCW, I believe LD regards LCW as his equal. He has referred to LCW as a' strong 'player(CHN's way of saying 'can beat me') and once requested LCW to share the same champion's podium with him during prize ceremony. If this is not respect shown to an opponent,in what way would respect be indicated? But of course the ultimate respect shown to LCW as a consummate player is in LYB's backhanded compliment of the need to use non-badminton tactics against him.
    Still we hope all the top players will be injury-free in 2007 . The good news is TH will be working full time otherwise he may not make it to the top 8 for the year-end Masters. He won't want to miss the money.

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

A stress fracture should not stop him from playing -- and if painful, nothing like a bit of steroid/anti-inflammation injection. No seriously, sportsmen all over the world play with stress fractures in ankles (a lot of basketball players do that). As for it to develop into a full fracture, I am not so sure. I am sure the doctors have explained it to LCW the risk, and LCW is not a stupid boy.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Glad to hear that. Pardon my ignorance. Maybe it's less critical in basketball cos it's a team sport and the load is shared with at least 4 others with breaks if needed. In badminton, it's individual, with total load and virtually no breaks.Do you think LCW should just play or play to win a title? Do you think he can be in top form if he carries an injury? If not in top form, can he win a SS07 title like MO07?(equivalent to the Masters series for Tennis)At the highest competitive level, a minor injury can translate into a major liability.( In tennis,it has meant, often,that a top player gets beaten by second tier or even lower ranked players.)Do stress fractures heal faster or worsen with regular play? LCW is not stupid but smart people do make stupid decisions.Question is whether it is a stupid little decision or a stupid big decision. Should he go for short term loss to gear for long term gain or should he go for short term gain at the expense of long term loss?(if the fracture worsens) It seems he has opted for the latter. Looks more like a stupid big decision.Good luck to him. He will need it.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It depends on the fracture itself, for example, with a bit of cortizone, basketball players can play without much duress. Sometimes fractures heal quickly for some players, if it is not too bad.

Basketballers do exert a lot - they run up and down the court a lot of times, and when they jump they exert a lot on their legs when they land.
    In a pro game, you do not get to relax in basketball. Having played both games, basketball is more strenous (you have to play hard on your opponents with a lot of pushing and muscling on each other whereas in badminton, you get a slow pace game sometimes, like net plays).

As for that 'stupid big decision' that you mentioned, well, you cannot tell because you are not him --- he knows his own condition. He might be already healed. I always respect that a player knows best when it is good to rest or play.

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thank you for clarifying.It's more reassuring now. All the best to LCW. Hope he'll be injury-free for 2007.