What is the point of having matches simultaneously on two courts in the Quarter Finals?

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by abhijain298, Mar 16, 2018.

1. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

Okay, give me a reason as to why the Australian open grand slam tennis tournament has three different stadiums.
    I mean they could have easily made only one stadium with three courts side by side and saved a lot of money, right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Tennis is absolutely different beast from badminton.

swsh likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There's a lot more money in tennis.

So far, if you look at all the top professional badminton tournaments, just how many are held in purpose built badminton venues.....a big fat zero..

4. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

Yes but I'm sure you agree that our future goals should be more aligned with that right?

BadAtGoodminton likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

BWF and its IBF predecessor (and whatever before that) have been trying to increase money in the sport for the last 30+ years. If there was a lot of viewership and sponsorship, I am completely sure quarter finals could be made more individualised with specific venues. Given the slow rate of progress, and the way economics works, I doubt we would see a big difference in the next ten years.

Would love to see it happen but organisers have to work with what they have.

6. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

I would say now is the perfect time to capitalise on revenue opportunities and optimum potential. Lee and Lin have done for the sport what no one has been able to do. Once they're done, players like Axelsen, Momota, Kidambi, Ginting, etc can use the platform built by Lee and Lin to take the sport to newer heights. Women's singles is already so fantastic that millions are tuning in regularly to watch Tai, Ratchanok, Yamaguchi, Okuhara, Sindhu, Sung, etc. Men's doubles has had legends who have made the discipline famous in the recent years like Fu Haifeng and Lee Yong Dae. Their legacy can be taken over by Kevin Sanjaya and Marcus who are already so famous in the badmintin world.

Now is the time. I say this with utmost passion that i have for the game. This sports needs to stop feeling undervalued and trying out new service rules and 11 point formats. Instead we need to keep improving what we do and do it consistently and better every year. PV Sindhu became one of the highest earning athletes in India this year. Imagine the possibilities had she won a Gold medal.
    Good players like herself and so many others deserve to be treated in a premium manner. There's a certain respect which is given to players when the audience stays silent during a point. Makes for a rich viewing experience. Definitely helps put the game on the world map.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You should join BWF finance department. Unfortunately millions watching doesn't always equate to millions in finance coming into the sport and vice versa. Take golf or cricket as prime examples

8. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Players competing in more than one QF event face rather long wait times. This also cuts into their recovery time for next day if they win.

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    badminton europe council discussion

why the new scoring system is good go to 29:22 mark:

i've raised these same issues multiple times.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The chair of badminton scotland called the Sindhu/Nozomi match a disaster and disgraceful. it is a disgrace with these people running our sport.

if there is a Tennis match that goes on so tight and everybody sitting at the edge of their seat, it would be called an epic match.

stanleyfm and Griff88 like this.
  11. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Wow, I didn't know that! Where did you get that information? Or is this a joke?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's from that video that samkool posted. He said from the perspective of the people who put money in the sport, it was a disaster.
    He also said it was time wasting that was a disaster. However, I see other sports such as American football, baseball, cricket, athletics that have a lot more time wasting. Football has time wasting as part of the tactics. So, the good gentleman's opinion on length of time being a problem is quite weak.

What you do need is passion in the crowd. If you can whip up the passion and discussion in the audience, then sponsors will be impressed.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    1. the scotland guy is a retard. he claimed the match was 150 mins, which he iterated "2.5 hours", when in fact it was 1:50, 1 hour 50 mins, 110 mins... and he's their chairman? but at least he, and others, know it's all about fitting into a tv broadcast limit of ~3.5 hours.
    2. another euro federation head echoed the wrong timing, oy...
    3. the denmark head complained about the service height but gave a lame excuse... "disadvantage for tall players"... i repeat what thomas lund, bwf secretary general (from denmark!) said: "perhaps shorter players were disadvantaged all these years."
    4. did you catch the part when the french guy said service height has been discussed since 2010... 20-frikkin-10! it only took 8 years to move forward.
    5. the guy running the meeting was very level headed, but i can tell he's frustrated dealing w/ all the others.
    6. many reasonable ideas are out there, but, none of them listen to reasonable ideas because they don't understand reasonable ideas.
    anyhow, those euro commissioners are a reflection of badminton commissioners worldwide: idiots with their own agenda, having never competed at the highest level, and clueless about the business of professional sports. it is frustrating to the point of it not being worth ones time dealing with them.

s_mair, stanleyfm, Griff88 and 2 others like this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    not completely. as long as the whole package fits within 3-3.5 hours broadcast sponsors are happy.

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

seriouslyy..............

oh god..........................................................

a**hole......................................................