What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. scamp

scamp Regular Member

I see nobody here understand the nature of corona virus. Hear the media news - "person died after being tested positive from covid-19". This mantra is continually repeated. No, not died OF covid-19 but after testing positive. Are you not aware that such a test will result in 90% of populations test positive because we have this kind of virus in our system most of the time. It is a fact. No need to take my word for it - doctors are speaking out worldwide. Why lockdowns? Well, look into properly into it and you will see. Not some nonsense conspiracy theory. Trouble is most people believe mainstream news and are asleep!

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Can we keep this thread around badminton aspects please and not drift into politics and medical half-knowledge? I’m bombarded enough with this stuff in other social media and I’d like BC to remain a happy place in that regard.

kwun, Fidget, LenaicM and 4 others like this.
  3. sokol250

sokol250 Regular Member

business development
    Hi folks! In Russia, the halls are still closed, the number of cases is growing. We have played mostly in parks, the weather is nice now. The police may potentially impose a fine for this, but looks at it already loyally, everyone is tired. The alarm mode was extended until June 1, after which government plan to begin to withdraw restrictions in several phases, but the halls, I think, will not open earlier than July-August....

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what he said. thanks.

5. webbingmania

webbingmania Regular Member

Here in Malaysia most businesses has been allowed to open but with strict standard operating procedures. Badminton can be played outdoor. Indoor courts however is not allowed yet.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Just saw in the news that two Chinese schoolboys passed away within a week, while running with face masks during PE class. The cause is cardiac arrest but it is said the mask contributed to the development of the condition.

For all of you already back on court, be aware of using face masks when playing high intensity badminton games.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Looks like no badminton in the UK until at least July 4th. :(

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Outdoor? How?

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

With mask?

10. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

To those lucky enough to be able to play, what precautions (if any) are taken to deal with the sharing/handling of the shuttle? Is there no concerns with that?

11. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I've thought of that too. But what can you do, other than wash your hands between games and not touching your face, and so on?

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

lets start the game not with serve but clear. Pick the shuttle with our racket, hit it high, return with clear, & the game start. Anything before that is not valid:D.

Envy them who can play:(

michael23 likes this.
  13. sokol250

sokol250 Regular Member

business development
    We try to play with masks in the park. But it is very problematic and difficult at temperatures above 20 degrees. In the hall I can’t imagine how to play with a mask in the summer. In short - we are removing it....

14. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Our national association suggested that every player uses his/her own shuttle. Your only allowed to touch your own one by hand. The other player can only hit or give the shuttle back with the racket.
    So Everytime the serve changes you change shuttles too.

However right now this is just a concept for clubs, it's not enforced in public courts.

Sumanth99 and michael23 like this.
  15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i wonder how many shuttle it takes to just playing 1 games.
    But even so, im imagine if there is water on the feather & we hit the shuttle. Didnt the water would splash everywhere? If so, would the virus also splashing but in very small size?

16. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    If you used 1 before it's now 2.
    If it was 2, it's probably still 2.

You can reuse your shuttle, the idea is that everyone just doesn't touch the opponents shuttle.

17. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Thank you for this, I had the same thought, but thought it was a little crazy.

My other crazy idea was to wear a disposable glove on the non racquet hand.

This is not a bad idea. We would need to re-learn how to serve after using this!

This is a good point, I didn't even think of that. There's not much science available for sports like badminton to confirm how valid it is.

Dr Fauci in the US, did comment on how the virus can spread in contacts sports like the NFL. It was interesting to read, because it spreads in a way you don't necessarily think about.

18. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Do you have a link to that? I'd be interested in reading that.

There's indeed not much research yet, but it's getting more. Not research, but from a podcast
    [audio source]
    [written source]

Christian Drosten (Prof. Dr.) has been doing research on the first SARS virus and other corona viruses for years and he's head of the group that developed the first test for this virus. He's most certainly one of the people who know a lot more than any of us.
    And even he doesn't know about how it really is spread. What he basically says in the quote is that his feeling after reading different studies is that almost half of the infections come through aerosol, almost the other half through droplet infection, and maybe ten percent through contact and smear infections.
    It's just a feeling by him, but it gives me a rather safe feeling for using one shuttle at a time as long as I remember not to touch my face (which is not as easy, probably).
    Especially when breathing strongly and being in a hall that doesn't have a whole lot of air movement by design, the shuttle is not the first thing I'm concerned about after reading and hearing what he says and has said over the past weeks.
    Still, better to be careful, because nobody really knows right now.

michael23, Swat and sokol250 like this.
  19. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/11/nfl-season-dr-fauci-coronavirus-fmia-peter-king/

It's a long article, so here's an excerpt:

speCulatius likes this.
  20. Budi

Budi Regular Member

So, does if my hand touch my nose & then i touch the shuttle. What if we hit the shuttle? Do the virus spread like water splashing or not?