What if we give players unlimited challenges BUT...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by SSSSNT, Apr 8, 2022.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

What if we give players unlimited challenges BUT we don't allow any delay and for every 3 failed challenges the opponent gained an extra point.

For example, player A's shuttle is called out. Player A raise his hand indicating a challenge. Play resumes and his opponent player B serve as if there's no challenge. The result of player A's challenge will then be announced after the play and the umpire will simply change the score depending on the result of the challenge. So who serve will follow the umpire's original call but the score will follow the challenge result.

I think this is a good way to make the game more seamless while giving the players a lot of control on calls.

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I think you should get 2 for free and any after that should be a point for the opponent if you are wrong. That way it is exactly as it is now, challenges can't be excessively used as a delay tactic, and you can still get a wrong line call overturned if you are sure the call was wrong.

If you only punish every wrong third challenge, afterwards, the player then has 2 'free' challenges again, and can use 1 or both as a delay tactic again.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    What's wrong with what we have today?

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

The point is to have no delay at all. Please read properly.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very interesting and novel

6. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

I like the delay. It gives the players some time to breathe, and waiting for the result is very exciting.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep. Gets the crowd involved, with some shouting "in, in, in!" while others are shouting "out, out, out!". All the while the heart beat sound is playing loudly overhead.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Cheung, kwun and s_mair like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don't fix what's not broken. The current challenge rules are working really well imo. Players need to think and decide wisely when to use their challenges.

Besides, the players need to know the actual score before they start the next rally. It's a whole different setting if you're 19-17 in the lead or at an 18-18 draw. Even worse if we're talking about actual game or match points.

And yeah, I really came to like the tension built up while waiting for the result of a close call challenge.

kwun likes this.
  9. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Psychologically stressing to go on playing while waiting for the correct points.
    I prefer breaks. It is good to see players giving 100% when the action starts again. Compared to tennis, matches are not too long at all. But I still miss the chances to win the match after being down many points. During the old points system.