What happened with MAS badminton?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by mazinkaiser, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Well I think that Mas team is ok. Malaysia is a small country, and many parents don't wants their kids to be a badminton pro, while other kids rather enjoy the good life than suffer the heavy training to compete at the world class.

The actual problem is the media, they hype the player too much, creating false impression that the Mas player can win every time. This is too much, being in the QF, SF or Finals is already an acheivement ...

2. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Wat makes u think that Malaysian players doesnt work hard? From wat i know the most hard workin player is LCW where everyday he has to wash 7 TOTALLY soaking wet shirts after training. Can u even think of another player with such size and built which had become 1 of the top players in the world? One can imagine the double amount effort and traning hv been worked on!

#42 zqloy, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  3. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

What i heard is that everyday he needs to change more than 10 soaked wet shirts after training. The reporters who have visited him during the training and Li Mao revealed that. WHen the players don't win, it doesnt mean that they don't train hard. For example LWW. LCW said in an interview that he is impressed with LWW to be able to make a comeback in such a short time and he said that LWW trained hard everyday to get his form back while CTF was joining some tournaments with other partners.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Never mind how many people train 10 hours a day. At the end of the day, there can only be one winner. That does not neccessarily mean that the winner trains harder than all the rest.

I think LCW does win his share of tournaments. He is a top-class player. Problem is, there are a few more top-class players like him. And to be top of that pile is very difficult and may need some kind of luck as well.

5. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Actually Malaysia have quite a number of talented players.Some practical parents prefer the academic route for their children.In actual fact if a child is good in his studies and badminton.The parents will automatically encourage their children to give up badminton.Gone are the days where parents are more lenient and allow their children to carve their own destiny.A good example willl be Tan Aik Huang and Punch Gunalan.They are both good at their studies and also left their marks in the badminton world.Malaysia need:Thinking players who are professionally committed to their game.Players who are able to analyse their weaknesses and overcome them with determination.Players who are willing to go the extra mile to perfect their craft.Players who are discipline enough to eat,drink,rest and sleep well.Players who have the right attitude towards their own teamates and opponents.

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I agree with a lot of the posts about not criticising LCW and other succesful MAS players. I don't think the answer is to be critical of those players but rather to ask why there aren't more MAS players of LCW's calibre. Personally I think if you provide a supportive environment and provide the training facilities then success is more likely to follow than if you set medal targets.

I don't think there were any medal targets for the English pairs in the world cup but yet 3 pairs got to the finals. I think being able to relax and just play their game helped them immensely.

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Malaysian players just have to be more like Nicol David...alone but always consistent.....and very very good in her studies too

8. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Hmmm, I wonder, do China have a squash team ? :confused: