what happened to kien keat n boon heong

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by kkkfans, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think KKK/TBH didn't show great sportsmanship, but on the other hand they didn't do any very bad thing either. :cool:

2. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

I'm not sure if u have seen the details. KKK did give back the shuttle to japanese pair right after the play. But i don't know how, the umpire n even the service judge (umpire demanded the service judge's point of view)considered that the shuttle had fallen into japaneses' side. At this point, i was thinking may be the shuttle did fall into japaneses' side since i was not as close to the court as those 2 umpires were.

The crowd was somehow moved by Matsuda who reacted emotionally. I found that the crowd somehow sided the japanese pair throughout the match, may be because they considered japanese pair weaker or just simply bcos most frenchs like japaneses(this is a fact). After this incident, the crowd became so hostile to malaysian pair, n this may be one of the reason they lost.(i'm saying may be)

U r saying that french suppoters have good sportsmanship?? i beg your pardon. If u have seen the match between Zhang Ning and Pi Hong Yan today, i wonder if u would still stand firm to this claim. There are at least 2 or 3 bad sideline calls, and when Zhang Ning protested them, the "boo" invaded the whole stadium.

3. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

The boys didnt show "bad" sportmanship, i saw both of them raised the racket as apology to the japs b4 serving. But though they were silly for not telling the umpire and as a result they hv to play against the crowd.

4. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

why they cannot lose?
    sometimes win, sometimes lose, nobody always wins, not a big deal.

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    This is the full article from Badzine...
    Once bitten, twice shy? It is not the first time Japan's men’s doubles pair of Tadashi Ohtsuka/Keita Masuda (pictured left) has spoilt Malaysia's party.

Text adapted from French Super Series website. Photos: badmintonphoto (live)

Just 2 months ago at the 2007 World Championship, Malaysia had set themselves a target of dominating the men's doubles semi-finals with 4 Malaysian pairs, but it was this very Japanese pair that ended Malaysia's dream in the first round of the World Championship when they removed Malaysia's 15th seeds Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock in straight sets.

At the quarter-finals of the 2007 French Super Series, Malaysia fell just short to make it a perfect 4 out of 4 when their world number 1 men's doubles pair of Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong was ousted by Ohtsuka/Masuda (pictured) in one of the most bewildering tiebreaker match, while their 3 other quarter-finalists Lee Chong Wei, Wong Mew Choo and veteran men's doubles pair of Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook upset reigning world champions to book semi-finalists' berths.

The world title-bound Koo/Tan was also stunned by an unheralded Japanese pair of Shuichi Sakamoto/Shintaro Ikeda in the quarterfinals of the World Championship. In Paris, Ohtsuka/Masuda denied Koo/Tan of a superior first set, as they staged a courageous comeback to remove the Malaysians 16-21, 21-18, 21-18. The score line, however, does not reveal the drama of the match.

In the tiebreaker, the Japanese have taken the halftime lead at 11-8 when Tan's drop shot hit the tape of net and fell back onto their side, which would have extended the Japanese's lead to 12-8

It was clear from the spectator stands even, that all 4 players knew the Japanese won the point as Tan apologised to Koo for his mistake and returned the shuttle to the Japanese. The umpire, however, had other ideas.

Malaysia's Mysterious Moment

The umpire insisted to the Japanese that the shot had gone over and the Malaysians had gained a mysterious point, so it was service over to the Malaysians 9-11. The Japanese went berserk by the obvious judgment error, especially Masuda, who picked up the shuttle and repeatedly demonstrated to the umpire how the shuttle had not gone over the tape.

The spectators, who were equally bewildered by the umpire's decision and insistence, began jeering at the umpire as Masuda himself also began rallying for the public's support.

Park was visibly upset by the incident and walked over to the referees' table but to no avail as no one at the table had seen what happened. Park also attempted to appeal to the Malaysian boys to react to the situation.

The Malaysians, however, chose to look away from both the Japanese's and Park's appeals and not refute the umpire's obvious mistake either, which proved to be an unwise gesture on their part, as the Malaysians then made themselves the public's enemy for the rest of the match.

The 3000-strong crowd would unanimously jeered whenever the Malaysians gained a point while the decibel level of cheers for the Japanese easily multiplied by ten-fold, and that was a psychological boost for the Japanese while psychologically damaging for the Malaysians. Tan eventually returned a flicked-serve awkwardly into the net and conceded the dramatic game to the Japanese.

"I wanted to get the public's cheering so that the umpire will stop making mistakes!" said the very jovial and comedic Keita, who has had a superb run in Paris with partner Tadashi from the first round when they scalped the 8th seed Danish pair of Lars Paakse/Jonas Rasmussen.
    "I didn't expect them to win today, but their performances against Denmark and Indonesia were very good, so my advice for them was to continue to play at their best and concentrate on the defense", said Park on his thoughts of his players, whose defensive play is in a class of their own.

Park continued on his thoughts about the umpire's blonde moment, "I went to the referees' table but they didn't see the point so they couldn't go to the umpire and I think there is a rule that says that the umpire's decision is final.

"I think maybe the umpire forgot that the shuttle didn't go over, as the boys asked for a shuttle change after the rally, so there was a break between the point and the next.

"My boys also spoke to the service judge who knew that the shot didn't go over, but the service judge kept quiet, if he had gone over to speak to the umpire, it could make a difference.

"I was worried about my players, whether they could stay mentally calm and play normally, but the spectators support helped. Keita likes spectators' support, he feels he can play better.

"And for the Malaysians, maybe they had more pressure as they are the top players but for us, win or lose doesn't matter, just good performance".

In the semi-final, Ohtsuka/Masuda will play Malaysia's number 2 pair Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook (pictured right), who disposed of the reigning 2007 world champions Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia in an equally thrilling tiebreaker quarter-final's match 21-10, 20-22, 21-17. The Malaysian seniors will be looking forward to avenge for their a decade younger compatriots.

6. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I do not know if the players are allowed to do that if they are not the aggrieved party. I believe the proper party to complain will the the Japanese pair and they did and got a yellow card. If I remember it right, the Malaysian toss the shuttle to the other side for the service. Both pairs were surprised when the point went to the Malaysian and the umpire ask the Malaysian to do the serve.
    The crowd rallied behind Japanese not because the Malaysian cheated. They want to make it known to the umpire he made a wrong judgment. Even the Japanese pair was not angry with the Malaysian pair, it's the umpire's call.
    You want to know more ? The shuttle drop that did not cross the net was made on the umpire side of the court.:mad::mad::mad:

7. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    i think u've established that its the umpire's final call, no one disagrees with that.
    sporting players would have politely told the umpire it was blatantly the japanese point, otherwise they are silently endorsing something they know to be false, they are lying to themselves and to everyone in the stadium

turning a blind eye to the obvious truth for your own advantage is not sportsmanlike

#47 Natrificial, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

ok, ok. A BCer who goes by the nick of Loopy have kindly taped and uploaded this game between KKK/TBH and Masuda/Ostsuka. Everybody can download see and see for yourselves what happened.

As someone else has said, KKK/TBH were just as much effected by the incident, losing 5 points that cause them to lose the match. Being a young pair, most probably they also didnt know what to do in that situation.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Fastdrop, fastdrop, calm down. And thank you for supporting our young Malaysian pair (read =young).

Why don't you or Ants go ask KKK or TBH on their take of what happened? Or the assistant coach Pang. If TBH, high possibility he also blur, blur.

10. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Looking back frame by frame at the video, the shuttle didn't cross the court. Even though it is hard to see, the shuttle doesn't react as if it went over the other side. Instead, the shuttle lands just behind the tape, makes a roll on top, but doesn't have enough power to go over and falls back.
    If the spectators couldn't see well, the only players who could see it extremely well were Keita Masuda and Kien Keat Koo. They both acted as the shuttle never crossed the line.

One thing all of you should know is that all the players, japanese and malaysians, did not show any bad sportsmanship. On the contrary, they were very gentlemen.

The crowd never boo the malaysians. They only boo the referee.
    When the japs made a point, the crowd went crazy wild. When the malaysians won a point, they applaud, there was good cheering, but less (except from the Malaysian Boleh fans ;) ), but never any booing.

At the end of the match, the referee got the same booing treatment from the crowd.

#50 Loopy, Nov 4, 2007
  11. rexymania

rexymania Regular Member

technical
    it call a yoyo.......................................hahahaa

12. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    I guess the hardest man to be on the court is the referee… if he/she makes any mistake that would be a BIG Story. The referee is not God and he is not perfect and sometimes he do make mistake and I think he did a good job. He only make one mistake in the whole match while the players make a lot of mistake :).

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It is the time that we need Hawk's eyes like in tennis....this will solve the dispute...Believe me that Super Series tournaments is the trial for BWF...many things to be fixed, from prize money distribution, qualifying points( all get same points if you cant make to main draw, it is not wise), no more 32 round qualifying in a day,qualifiers placement ( prefer to be placed randomly,not known from beginning), etc...these are some examples that BWF has to make adjustments....I had a long talk with them about these issues...they may make some changes after Olympic ( I do not know why, nopt beginninf of the year)....

#53 huangkwokhau, Nov 4, 2007
  14. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    INCONSISTENCY and UNSPORTMANSHIP...
    disappointed with them!

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Not today seemingly.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    ai yah. lost already... give and take lah... no one is perfect... well done to the japs and Park Joo Bong. He's still a legend no matter what.

17. nauyuchi

nauyuchi Regular Member

go kkk/tbh
    i am supporting them!!
    no matter what happen!!

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Win one tournament, head get swell and then lose the next one.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thread closed because of repeats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.