What are my mistakes and how can I improve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gnufoxch, Oct 15, 2011.

1. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

I start playing badminton since april 2009. I know I still have much to learn.

I'm not very good at explaining things, so my brother have recorded my match on his cellphone. the quality isn't very good.( I'm the guy with the yellow shirt).

[video=youtube_share;pVo687dkNAM]http://youtu.be/pVo687dkNAM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;z8SAOFXKGY8]http://youtu.be/z8SAOFXKGY8[/video]

I would be very gratefull if you guys can Tell me what I've done wrong and how I can improve.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Get a coach. It'll be money well spent.

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Footwork

Your footwork can be improved. You often hit the shuttle too low or too late on yr clears. Your accuracy will improve if you have good footwork n hit 'early enough'. Also, learn attacking clears when yr footwork improves. Your high serves are not high enough, it should fall almost perpendicular to the ground, making it difficult to smash powerfully.

Do more footwork drills n practice good clears. Don't lift unless you have to. Try to 'push' n learn good netting. Good luck!

4. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

@CanucksDynasty
    Getting a coach is probably the best for any player to improve his skills, sadly my budget won't allow me to get any coach. Also i'm not trying play professionally. I just wanna play more decent. When I'm richer then I will consider getting a coach, but for now I'm happy to get some quick advice from all the badmintonmasters here in BadmintonCentral.

@sautom88
    thx for taking the time to analyse my game. Your feedback is really helpful, from now on I will try to speed up my footwork(hopefully in the correct way, I'm not afraid to admit that my footwork sucks), train more on my high serves and train my attacking clears.

thx for the advice, really appreciate it.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It looks like your grips may be wrong because you have a bit of a funny swing (that wouldnt work with correct grips).

I also didn't norice any split jumps. they are very important for court mobility.

6. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

added to my to improve list:)

7. TraineeSneakers

TraineeSneakers Regular Member

Student
    Im not an expert but here is my 2 cents:

Wrist swing: U need to have more swing in your wrist play. Swing a racket in horizontal 8 motion (or horizontal s, whatever). You should hit the birdie most of the time like that, with a swing motion from your wrist. Don't force it too hard or your undeveloped(yet) wrist or it might gonna hurt. The key is to learn this is to get the technique right instead of focusing on power.

Once you have developed your wrist play, your drop, half smash, etc (attacking shots mostly) should be better. You should also be able to get your flow during play better.

I think you should also need to experiment with your arm muscles movements/style in order to have better clear and higher high serve. Once again, the key here is to get the right technique, then comes the power.

Have a good badminton!
    Regards.

8. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

Thx for the advice TraineeSneakers, but I don't fully understand your explination Yet. Do you mean I have to swing like this:

[video=youtube_share;eIdXEtOt1JE]http://youtu.be/eIdXEtOt1JE[/video]

9. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ur too slow on court because u need to split step when ur opponent hits the shuttle. U stand too tall for most shots which means you cant move fast.

Get ur racket away from your feet when u lift the shuttle and get it out infront of you ready for a smash.

When u move backwards, you need to get side on!! This is why ur slow to get back and why ur shots lack power. You hit it kinda facing the net, when to hit the shuttle correctly, you need to be side on to the shuttle.

I suggest u watch a few footwork videos and do them slowly at first and in bits. Thats the best way to learn them. And shadow them a lot to get them into your head. Focus on the back footwork first to the forehand and rearhand corners 1st. Do this over and over again.

10. lee07

lee07 Regular Member

student
    your footwork sir is wrong

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You are fast on court. You can be even faster with better understanding of movement.
    You can give the impression to the opponent of being even faster if your shots are better.

The instructional video is very good. Some specific points which others have mentioned are.

High overhead shots:
    1) When you hold the racquet, you hold the racquet very panhandle. At 3.05, see how lightly the strength is to grip the racquet. The grip diameter need not be very large. As he holds the racquet above his head, the racquet face is actually facing inwards. When he strikes the shuttle, he uses his fingers and wrist and forearm to turn the racquet head facing the shuttle. It's this that generates the power. Use the shortened practice stroke at 3.15 to practice this.

2) Definitely, the point at which you strike the shuttle is too low for overheads.

3) Many times, after hitting the shuttle, the racquet follows through and stays on the right hand side of your body. Look at the player in 4.10. See his shoulder and racquet after hitting. His right shoulder is closer to the net than the left shoulder and the racquet is towards the left of the body. Doing this makes it easier to recover for the next shot.

Low Backhand shots

If the opponent hits a smash to your backhand, does the shuttle tend to float back high across the net? (when you get it back).

I think you have not changed your grip on the backhand side. That makes it difficult to control those shots for you.

Movement I

Two parts to this.

1) The split step - when the opponent hits the shuttle, do the bounce. It's proven by science to help acceleration of movement. When you do the bounce, make sure both feet land on the ground at the same time. Why? Well, have you ever tried to change direction with one foot in the air and one on the ground? It's very difficult!!! Try:)

2) "Standing too tall" means your centre of gravity. If you crouch down a bit and knees bent slightly with your shoulders hanging a bit forward, the movement becomes more faster. Your quadriceps muscles need more stamina for this.

Movement II

Going for the round the head shot, you have to turn. At 4.24, the player does a superb demonstration. See how his left foot (left handed player) starts off closer to the net. See how his feet changes position with also a horizontal jump making his movement look like gliding across. We call this the "flying step". You might have noticed he uses the same shortened smash action as in 3.15. He did this to make the shuttle go steeply downwards very quickly to catch the opponent out (so the followthrough is slightly different to 4.10 or 4.19.)

12. jnrgirl02

jnrgirl02 Regular Member

Just a suggestion
    1. Grip wrong
    2. execution of shot wrong because no follow thru' (grip again can cause this problem).Need to learn how to hit shuttle early at its highest point.
    3. everyone said footwork agree 100%
    4. After you send the shuttle to you opponent you are not ready for the next shot
    5. your eyes should focus on the shuttle
    6. You can learn by watching videos from badmintonconnect or from badmintonbible.
    7. my advice is learn how to grip a racket correctly and how to execute an overhead shot first. then learn the different grips.Note###Dont hold the racet to tight.
    8. Do footwork everyday until its become second nature to you, record yourself then analyze its or lets uses analyze it for you.
    9. Practice make perfect ONLY if you are doing its CORRECTLY.

13. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

I haven't improved much after three years.

I tried to change my grip, but after a while without me noticing I changed back to my old (wrong) grip.
    I tried to change my footwork, but can't improved it.

Here is my latest video:
    [video=youtube;5JqCceKMe4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqCceKMe4M[/video]

Thank you all for your advice guys (three years to late, sorry :p).

14. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Can't see much on a small screen, but there are some obvious issues.

1. Service. Your high service don't put pressure at all. It is not far enough. Your opponent moves fairly fast which gives him opportunity to return threatening shots to you. This brings to the next issue.

2. Footwork. You don't move fast enough to your backcourt. And your follow-up shot to the fore court is even slower than your backcourt movement.

You were caught a lot of times at the forecourt because of this.

You can try skipping a step after you land on your racket foot and get back to the centre to avoid this issue.

3. Clears. The clears are not really far enough. If it's not far enough, you will be outmaneuvered. I noticed that you can't really force him to the baseline while he has opportunities to do so, giving you much lesser time to recover.

15. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I agree that your clears need to be further. Your opponent, much of the time, takes your clears a few feet before even the doubles service line.
    Additionally, during your overhead shots, your foot-switching footwork (while you make the shot) seems bulky, or maybe just slow. Much of the time, the way you approach the shuttle, meaning the positioning of your body and feet, and their urgency, gives away which shot you will play.
    Kudos for being able to discern the badminton court lines from the rest :eek:

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    If I might suggest - if that's the gym that you regular play and train, you might consider looking for another club with stronger players. The challenge you have is playing to the level of competition within any club. If they are mediocre, you only improve as much as mediocrity will provide.

Look to see if you can get in with a higher level group. If your ability to get coaching hasn't changed, then you might want to get in with much better players to learn as much as you can from them.

BTW - what is your training routine and frequency? Have you created any training program for yourself? Do you have a regular and stronger training partner? Just some questions as to how much time you are putting into your training.

#16 badrad, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

You've improved since 3 yrs ago. Especially your shot anticipation, net play, and smash returns, especially your dives.

However, your high serves are still not that high and deep, and right off the bat you're giving an advantage to your opponent despite having worked so hard just before to gain the serve. Your opponent serves better and has the proper stroke for it. To understand how, just look up any video of any pro singles female player, like Inthanon, or Wang YiHan.

Service return positioning: you're too far forward for all the high serves your opponent is giving you. Did he even give you one short serve? So then, why are you standing so far forward? Again your opponent is doing it right, as he's standing 1-2 steps further back from your positioning.

18. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

Thank you all for your advice.

I'll keep in mind to stay a little more in to the center. I'll practice my high serve, but my wrist is not strong enough (i've a wrist ball and use it for ten minutes every 2 weeks).

Footwork is my greatest weakness, I just can't improved it. But I'll try to change this.

And most of the time I'm afraid that my clears will go out. That's why I rather clear it more in. But you guys were right. I've giving to many easy shots away to my opponents. I'll keep this in mind the next time and try to clear harder.

I play in this gym regularly. This is my club here and I like it. All the player who is playing in the video are stronger than me, better than me and faster than me.

I never really had a coach. Only a few people who give me advice. I ride my bicycle almost every day to train my stamina and play 3-4 times a week in my club.

I play mostly doubles because there are too few courts available for too many people. I only get the change to play single (if someone wants it) late in the evening when most of the people leave the gym.

I've a partner who used to be stronger than me, but now we're almost the same lvl.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's rubbish your wrist is not strong enough for a high serve. You haven't practiced it enough.

If you are afraid to hit a clear out, of course you can hit a serve to the back of the court!

20. gnufoxch

gnufoxch Regular Member

I cannot generate enough strength for my high serve. because I can't seem to hit the shuttle at the right spot of my racket when the shuttle drops down.

A clear from back to back is much easier for me because I can use the backswing and because I hit the shuttle at a higher point.

But you're right, i'll will practice my high serve more from now on.