WC MS SEMI-FINAL - Taufik vs Chen Jin

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by Heong, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Show me the Taufik!!!..

- IMO, even if Taufik regains some semblance of his old form now or "be good when he's good", he is still not good enough to play against & let alone beat the top players. As for the list of top players, i would only rate these 3 players: LD, LCW and maybe CJ. Peter Gade, BCL, Boonsak are abt the same level as TH now. And they are i'd say .5 to .75 level below the top 3 players. That's why i mentioned, his only chance to win against those 3 top players is if they have some sort of a "bad day".
    - That's right. If "what he is now" that matters, then tell us what he really is now??
    - We realize "his results have been pretty decent lately (yes, including that U.S. Open MS title!)..but what really matters is what are his results against the big boys and top players in the MS..
    - Yes, Taufik is not done yet. Maybe he should play in more GP, GP Gold tourneys and his chances of winning more titles are higher??;)

#41 ctjcad, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I would not rate CJ that high. He is in fact at the same level as PG and Sony, in fact PG beat him very easily, twice, last year. And don't forget that all his titles last year (he hasn't got any titles this year yet I think) are somewhat controversial.

BUT his style, the Chinese style, is the one that is most difficult for TH to play against. That's why TH seems good enough for PG and Sony, but not for CJ.

As far as I can remember, TH hasn't beat any Chinese MS in the past two years (until yesterday though).

Personally I doubt TH can ever bounce back. Asian players get significantly slower when they approach 30. Just look at WCH and PG. WCH is younger than PG, trains harder than PG, and so on. Yet when facing the highest level opponents, WCH just couldn't keep up with the pace, while PG most of the times could.

3. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I just think that Taufik just doesn't care anymore. He plays as if there's no weight behind it. I don't think age is problem because Sony is at the same age and is still playing hard. Peter Gade is over 30 and he plays with all of this heart.

I like Taufik and I think his playing form/style is just beautiful, however him half @ssing all the time is getting annoying. IMO if he play, then play, if not then just retire.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    at least he didn't walk out:p I think some r still dreaming of the good old days of TH. Unfortuately, a LD vs TH duel today would be very boring and pathetic to watch:p

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u kinda nail it;) Glad u said it coz if i say it i would be viewed as over critical of TH. The problem of TH after his peak years 04-06 is his attitude. Only with self commitment does a pro can stretch his/her performance longer thru dedication (ie training) and the will to fight every match in the face of aging. If TH retain his fighting attitude (i mean on the court:p) like PG or WCH, i believe he would do much better and win some more fans.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- IMO, CJ is on a borderline. But i would rate him high as he is still up & coming and would be the only other CHN player who could challenge LD. And it's even more impressive with the way he tamed Taufik in the Semis of this yr's WC. TH is actually on the way down. PG & Sony can only spring a few surprises here & there (esp. when the top players were absent).
    - Taufik's biggest achilles' heel is playing against the CHN top players, esp. when he meets one who can stretch & make him work to the max. Prior to 2006, he was able to challenge and beat them. After 2006, he has been no where near his capability to challenge, let alone beat them.

#46 ctjcad, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

on the surface u r right but during past year and a bit, CJ was hampered by a back injury. I hope cj is close to 100% recovery as LD will compete in selective tournaments and CJ would most likely be carrying the torch for china until the new MS entrants pick up more experience. I don't know what BCL gonna do for his knee so i can't make a forecast for him. Remember that CJ hand beaten TH before about 2 years ago but the score was tighter than this WC.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I was curious why TH gave up so easily in a couldn't care less, 'you want to win, let you win' manner.

I asked him what's his fuss about the shuttle since that seemed to bug him and he suggested that CJ tampered with the shuttle to make it slow and that ' they (meaning CHN) do it all the time.'
    (Well, I don't understand how a slow shuttle can disadvantage TH so maybe some of you experts can explain.)

I don't think TH has lost interest because whenever he faces LCW, he's motivated to play well (as in SO and this MO) even when it's tough for him (as in IO)

Well, the fact that TH has withdrawn from CM may prove his point about his allergy to tampered shuttles. We can safely count him out of AG10 where LiNing shuttles may be used (and no other teams would have the opportunity to use it before?) which may be worse.

In any case, given his merchandising income, he would be expected to continue playing for a while.
    By the way, TH speaks relatively fluent English. Does any INA fan know where he learns his English?

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My 2.40 sens thoughts..

- From what i observed in his match, he simply couldn't break Chen Jin, no matter whether through his smashes or drop shots or trick plays or backhand smashes. Realizing he couldn't do that, he basically lost all motivation, esp. in the 2nd game. His biggest culprit, his fitness.
    - If Taufik complained Chen Jin was tampering and making the shuttle slow, it means that Taufik's smashes can't break/go through Chen Jin's defense. He doesn't have the confidence. Ironically, Chen Jin's smashes did go through Taufik's defense or at least Taufik couldn't react fast enough to return them. Was Chen Jin that much stronger than Taufik??
    The thought is, the faster the shuttle is when Taufik smashes, the better the chance to break CJ. Thus Taufik wanted a "faster" shuttle. But even with a brand new shuttle, it hardly happened. Thus, it's gonna sound like an excuse from Taufik.
    - Against LCW, esp. nowadays, Taufik will always struggle because simply LCW is much better in fitness and is able to return most of Taufik's shots. In other words, LCW will make Taufik work and earn his pts..
    - The comment abt Taufik's chance of not playing in the upcoming CM because of the use of tampered shuttles sounds more like an excuse for him not to attend. Taufik should just go back and train even harder, no matter how tampered the shuttles are. If the shuttles are tampered, what advantage(s) will the CHN players have? :p
    - Taufik will keep playing, but most likely at this current level. Disappointing not to see him perform much better, you may say??..
    - Yes, Taufik speaks & understands English. But i wouldn't say he speaks it fluently, just basic English. As a matter of fact, he did speak English during the 2005 WC during his post-game interviews; although he had to pause once in a while to think abt the questions. As to how he learned it, my guess is through movies, tv shows, reading books/magazines, watching western shows or hanging out with other English speaking folks. I doubt he took an English tutoring class, specifically to learn..:p
    Btw, here's one of his recent tournaments where he was interviewed in English..;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06sTJWnp3M

#49 ctjcad, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

TH did not complain about tampered shuttles throughout the match. He complained about it in the beginning of G1 and tried to get the SJ to see it. The SJ did not agree even when TH illustrated his point. So TH seemed unwilling to work hard only to lose. He'd rather lose effortlessly, on uneven grounds,that's what he's trying to convey.
    But with LCW, TH has often shown effort , even in G2 of IO though he knew it was a lost cause.
    So I gather a slow shuttle means TH would have to work a lot harder? No wonder he's allergic to that.
    But he's not done yet with his magic. See how fast he took out DPY, his one-time giant killer.
    TH speaks English fluently by Asian player standards.
    Yes, it's normal to pause before responding in interviews. Unless the interviewer is smart or highly skilled and knows how to phrase the questions in such a way as to channel the player's thoughts fluidly. (See how the Americans do it, eg McEnroe, Courier. They introduce a light hearted icebreaker before the key question.)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

When Taufik gets too much playing in his mind..

- I know what he's trying to convey. But when even the Service Judge didn't see anything (physically) strange with the shuttle and Taufik continued his non-chalant and unwillingness to work hard approach, it simply shows that he's using the "tampered" shuttle as an excuse. Perhaps what might've caused the shuttle to travel abnormally (to Taufik) was the A/C draft (i don't recall whether Taufik had the advantage of the breeze going his direction or against his direction in the 1st game).
    So, basically if the shuttle was "tampered" by making it slow, Chen Jin had the advantage and Taufik didn't? I can only think of one reason for CJ to do so. If CJ had the breeze blowing for him and the shuttle was "tampered", it would slow down and wouldn't have the tendency to go out of the court. I think it's more of Taufik getting the shuttle's travel behavior affects his mind. If i recall, they changed shuttles a few times in the 1st game, and i don't recall seeing CJ purposely taking his time & tamper with the shuttles.
    Yes, Taufik is allergic to "working hard" esp. against an opponent who is diligent and will make him work for his pts.
    - In that 2005 WC, i recall Taufik paused a few times to ask a few people (incl. myself, as i was one of the volunteers there) abt the questions and what the interviewer(s) was asking. Maybe the interviewer spoke a bit fast. In another situation, even after Taufik understood the question, he was still having a bit of difficult time answering the question/expressing his reply.

#51 ctjcad, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Impressive and a very 'kind and generous' of lin dan:D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

base on your track record, it's no doubt u bought into as well as creating all those conspiracy theories about chinese players. It's not new that TH would not give an effort to play 100% against top chnese players especially when he know he can't beat them. On praising TH beating DPY, lol, DPY is just a small fry in the china team. Remember how u also praised LCW, WR #1, beating chen long as well? chen long was ranked #26 at that time (btw, CL beaten lcw on a prior meeting) LOL. I've said it b4 and i'll say it again, in a losing proposition against the chinese, TH will NOT give that chinese players, or the audience, the pleasure to fight a losing battle. He'll rather whimper out coz this way, he can say, i lost because i didn't try because this and that. Case in point, 2006 HK walk out, 2006 JP open MS final, and today in 09WC. I do know TH has more talent than that of lsoing a 21-6 set against CJ. I knew as soon as i saw the score. I didn't have to see that match to say this.

Remember how some wanted the bwf to fine the chinese player/team for alleged not playing 100% to fix certain game? I don't see any request here for bwf fining TH for not playing 100%

#53 cooler, Aug 24, 2009
  14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Based on your track records,, you say anything to bad mouth TH...
    It seems that you know more on China team..you do not even know any china team at all..LOL...just google more...
    If you do not know anything..dont say it..I can say more about China team if you like....
    TH said that CJ was faster in that match...
    Wait until your LD ages 29..lets see if he will paly or not..
    If any INA players beat CHN, you always say it is small fish, he is 2nd dog...( remember that when Sony beat CJ in china master..). .at least INA players fight..dont do any match fixing to insult audience...it seems that CHN team will not give pleasure to audience too....

#54 huangkwokhau, Aug 24, 2009
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's because your entertainer TH has a lot for me to write about LOL

did i claim i know anything about the china team? Please provide us all with your evidence, link, posts, etc.. However, It is u here that is keep claiming u know everything. I hope your deception here is as keen as those on the court lol

I have kept my discussion about players, tactics and strategy. U seem to come here only to attack certain BF members. Where is your content?

#55 cooler, Aug 24, 2009
  16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    LO>.what tactics?? you attack BC members alot than everybody else..you have no content....LO>..you know everything abt China team...you argued a lot even you do not have info...check your posts...
    Mr.Knows everything...
    Look at your posts..attacking players and certain BC members..dream on..
    You just know how to talk BIG behind computer screen..thats all you can do...:D...

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    LOL>..you do not have gut to show up...I hope you are real...not just talk big on this forum...Bring it ON!!...

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

when did i bad mouth all INA players? please dont exaggerate to make your points. In fact, i praised candra W and tony G every chance i get. Flandy is a very humble player. When do u want me to stop praising INA players?

#58 cooler, Aug 24, 2009
  19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Just look at the posts.....all BC members know...especially on TH...

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

do u know what 'all' mean?

please discuss about players and topics.
    U came here just to attack a BF poster