WC MS SEMI-FINAL - Taufik vs Chen Jin

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by Heong, Aug 14, 2009.

1. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

hmm, Taufik looked like he didn't want to play??
    what was wrong with the shuttles? he had a discussion about it.
    he also hit a lot of shuttles out...

hmm, i feel sorry for taufik :(

2. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

actually looks like Taufik thought the shuttle was too fast, and ask Chen Jin (through umpire) to make the feathers straight after a few stokes.

well, overall Chen Jin was playing all-out game, while Taufik was looking around.

3. solar

solar Regular Member

Chemical engineering student
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yup..^^

..that's Taufik Hidayat for you..Only he can produce such result in a game..:cool:

5. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    I hope no one will under estimate CJ from now on. He will only get better.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and chen jin is the winner.but i still think that lin dan will be the winner tomorrow:rolleyes:

7. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Most people don't underestimate Chen Jin, they just overestimate Taufik. Winning the U.S open 09 of badminton is not the same as winning the U.S open 09 of tennis. LOL:D

Long gone the 2004-2005 Taufik Hidayat... What we have now is the Taufik Hidayat that loses tamely to most top players, eg. Ina open 09 to LCW with an embarassing scoreline, and one more time in WC09 to Chen Jin.:crying:

8. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah TH once thrashed CJ 21:9 and now sufferred the same fate and get thrashed 21:6......:eek:

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    wow, 2 Chinese slaughtered 3 Indonesians in just 2 days.

Chen Jin totally shut down both SS and TH completely by astonishing scores: 21:10; 21:13; 21:16: 21:6. I didn't see any resistance from those best Indonesians.

If we look at the earlier rounds, Chen even needed 3 games to win. He lost a game even to a local guy. What's the reason for that? Did Chen Jin become better or those 2 Indonesians lost their forms ?

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Actually..

..i was one who overestimated Taufik's chance vs. CJ. But going into this Worlds, most if not all of us thought Taufik stands little chance anyway, even if he were to miraculously win against Chen Jin.
    - The "slaughter" only involved 2 INA, namely Simon S. & Taufik H, both going down meekly in straight-games. Sony did put up some effort..
    - As for the last question, it's the latter reason. Partly also Chen Jin upped his game.
    In my part, i overestimated Taufik's chance but only if he wins the 1st game. It might be a different scenario if say Taufik were to meet Chen Jin in a much earlier Rd. Simon is just Simon.

#30 ctjcad, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  11. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Simon hasn't been very impressive at all lately... though he got further than I thought he would here! Taufik, I'm just glad he made it to the semifinals. It's usually around that stage of a competition that he either barely wins, or gets wiped off the court..... I agree it could have been different if they met in an early round. Taufik doesn't seem to like playing in semifinals :S (judging by many recent results). Still, you never know what you'll get with Taufik. He's still a "top player" (as in, able to frequently make it to the later stages of SS tournaments), but he seems to need to rely on a rare "good day" to be able to beat any of the very best players right now.

#31 phaarix, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  12. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    The results is out now, I think TH is not a Top5 Player anymore, He has lost his speed and power, He's old now, And I personally feel he doesn't train as much as he did 2,3 years ago or before that.............

He can't play the third set with a top 5 player if he has won 1 set........Otherwise he has lost to top 5 players in straight games since the last 1 year..........

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Simply..

..to have a chance, what Taufik needs to rely on is a rare "bad day" from those very best players right now, when he plays them..
    Could he train himself into shape like 4-5 yrs? Most likely not. That's the problem.
    ..Taufik is now only a Grand Prix Gold or Grand Prix tourney threat..

14. AngelEye88

AngelEye88 New Member

System engineer
    21-6, that's... sick! :eek:

15. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if even xxf can lose 3-21 in a SO rubber what else can't happen?:p

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh, that 2007 S'pore Open??..^^

..at least that's in a rubber game. Taufik, so far, has been involved in 2 of the lowest scoring deciding games ever; one of which ended in 2 games..Even in his match vs. Chen Jin, he was on the verge of not even getting double digit pts in the 1st game..:eek:

#36 ctjcad, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Can't you see that's what I'm saying though? I wouldn't go so far as his opponents having to have played "badly" though. Taufik can still be good when he's good. I'm obviously not saying that he could beat an on form Lin Dan nowadays, but you can't just use Lin Dan as the basis for top playerS. Excluding Lin Dan, Taufik has shown that he can still occasionally beat Peter Gade and LCW (and I'm sure CJ as well - PG beat him easily twice in a row). If they aren't top players then you can't think much of badminton.

Of course you're right, he's past his prime, and we'll almost certainly never see him play like that again. But haven't we already known that for the past 2-3 years? I just don't understand why people keep repeating it. It's not what he was that matters. It's what he is now.

Ok, someone who occasionally loses feebly with less than 10 points :p. But if we handily ignore that..! His results have really been pretty decent lately!

One of the downsides of having been one of the best is that expectations are too high even years later and when you inevitably can't live up to them, the opposite happens and people think they're past it. Down and out. They just give up on them... I recall people saying Federer was past it, and he was still number 2 in the world at the time (bad comparison I know)! I've heard people say "Taufik should retire!", which is ridiculous considering he still seems to achieve more than his team mates (in MS)!

#37 phaarix, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, ya.
    Considering predictions were taufik in 2 or CJ in 3 sets.
    Well, CJ won it in 1.3 set, score wise.

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

do you want to know about a more sicked scoreline?:p :rolleyes:
    21-4 in the 3rd set...that is the score when lin dan and chen jin met in the ina open this year..
    read carefully, its chen jin who defeat lin dan, the world champion and the OG champion currenly with the scoreline 21-4..impressive or not?:D

20. AngelEye88

AngelEye88 New Member

System engineer
    Lin Dan, 3rd set, 4 points... yep, that's pretty impressive :p