Wave with forehand lift

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Evanplaysbadminton, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Evanplaysbadminton

Evanplaysbadminton Regular Member

Hey,

I found this video :

It's described as deception but I was wondering if a single wave would be a good idea to generate more power.
    My backhand lift is good, my forehand lift lacks height and length.

When I watched this video, I was thinking, I might use one wave as a "pre-load". I've seen some videos for the backhand clear from Lee Jae Bok in which he advises to do a wave before the shot. So I thought it might be a good idea to try this but I'm not sure as usually I'm a tad late when I perform my forehand lift, I fear this small wave would make me hit in the net if I'm too late.

What do you think ?

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Look for different sources. I personally don't rate the badminton family channel.

Like with many skills, practice the shot and practice in the right way.

Can you do a singles forehand serve to the back line from the T?

How far exactly do your forehand lifts usually go, assuming you are hitting them from near the net?

Height wise, the sooner you can take the shuttle, the more height and length you can put onto it. So do the footwork from the T to the net (split step, chassé, lunge) and try to time the foot landing with the stroke. Try to have the contact point about waist height and lift with mostly the wrist (same snap technique as used in smash).

I had one session with a coach and he suggested to move the racquet right to left. Like a windscreen wiper (right handed player). Didn't make much sense to me at the time, but it somehow works

-
    You sometimes see less experienced players move their racquets backwards and forwards a bit when they are approaching overhead shots. Try not to do this as it can waste energy and mess with your timing and consistency.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You are meant to be able to do a lift to the back of the court. (without anything strange looking in your technique)

If you can't then you have a problem with your technique.

You don't solve that problem with trying an advanced deception move. when you don't have the basic technique.

And you don't solve that problem by looking at backhand clears, which is the hardest shot in badminton to generate power on. Way less than 10% of men in badminton clubs can do a backhand clear. I can't comment on the "wave" 'cos you haven't linked to the LJB video.

Lifts are one of the easiest shots relative to others, if you're talking of just lifting it to the back.

Even to learn just the bread and butter basics of badminton without deception, would take years of regular 1-1 sessions with a coach.

Badmintonfamly have some great stuff, But learn and get good at the basics before advanced things.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think they are excellent. so important to have channels like that with a top player that speaks English and doesn't disable comments.

Why don't you like them?

Also the guy that started it was really accurate on his biomechanics, and corrected a lot of common misinformation out there. Like badminton players that get their words wrong and mix up their wrist and their forearm. (And I mention that before even reading your post's mention of "wrist").

I think there it'd be a chasse where the last part of the chasse is a lunge. So the lunge is part of the chasse. I think a chasse is two steps, the second one of that chasse would be a lunge.

The "snap technique" that you refer to on the smash is rarely done with the wrist. It's done with forearm rotation, among other things. Rasmus of BadmintonFamily did well to correct that misconception.

As far as what biomechanics is used on a lift, that's another matter. Do you use forearm rotation for it? Or do you use wrist bending? Or both?

That's forearm rotation.

The alternating left right movement as made by windscreen wipers, applies whether left or right handed.

5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

There were two videos I watched in succession. Something about the experience turned me off. Either the demonstration, the length of the video or the technique they were promoting. Granted the channel says "family", so it might have just been a bad script and I should give them another chance.