Wang Shixian ( 王适娴 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jun 28, 2009.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I said nothing contradictory.

As a viewer, I would not miss her and her bad court behaviour if she were to retire.

If I were her as a player, I would still enjoy the challenge of of major world tournaments even if I couldn't attend the Olympics. Not to mention the potential financial rewards.

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    You want to see her play or not?

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

She won the Asian Games gold medal in 2010. Bronze medal so far from World Championships, same year.

#1063 vixter, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I too hoped WSX doesn't retire yet, now aged 26, she is good for another 3 or 4 years although I've to admit going to Tokyo 2020 is slim for her.

As somebody posted, she has enrolled for a masters degree program with Beijing Sports University and, if I'm not wrong, most of the course students are studying full-time. So I wonder how she's going to juggle her studies and professional badminton when her academic year starts.

Perhaps she's a part-time student and her masters program is sport-related which allows her to include training and competition to fit into her time table ? As her first degree is a B.A in Finance and Economics from Nanjing University in Jiangsu, and now she's going to do a masters degree in Beijing where she is located together with the CHN National Team, so it's not surprising if she chose a post-graduate degree course in sport (Sport Science, Sport Management ?) rather than, say, MBA or MSc in Finance/Economics/Management.

Yes, I still want to see Wang Shixian play, please don't retire yet, carry on for a couple more years. JiaYou !

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Beijing Sports University - well, I think that's the end of her professional career but we will still see her in the World University Games.

Actually, I am a bit surprised she has a B.A. degree. Universities in China are very heavily lecture based in coursework.

As for attitude, I like a bit of variety. Not everybody in the world is a robot.

alien9113 likes this.
  6. Yohaneesy

Yohaneesy Regular Member

student high school
    It is said nowhere that WSX's retiring. By the way, she'll compete in Japan in September. I saw her name on the MQ report.

7. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Lmao this rumour suddenly got everyone coming out and expressing their true feelings for WSX and ethics in badminton

doantram likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My heartiest congratulations to Wang Shixian - Chen Long gave you credit for his Olympic gold, he did it for you !

9. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

TBH she should have been sent to Rio. Would have performed better than both LXR and WYH.

Hope she keeps playing, there really isn't any CHN WS up-and-coming talent that will be disadvantaged from her not moving aside, and now more than ever CHN WS needs all hands on deck.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I was asking myself the same question. Wang Shixian is more stable and a fighter able to grind down a lot of opponents. Who knows,at Rio she could overcome Sindhu in the QFs, Nozomi in the semis and Marin in the final. Just look at what happened to Saina (injured), Li Xuerui(injured), Intanon R (upset by Akane), Tai TY(beaten by Sindhu), Nozomi (also beaten by Sindhu), in no sense a far-fetched thought.

But seriously, CHN young WS cohort must step up to the plate as quickly as possible, what with WYH probably retiring, LXR injured and out of action for quite some time, Wang Shixian alone can't hold the fort. Sun Yu, He Bingjiao, Chen Yufei, and some other promising youngsters have to take up the slack immediately.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So Wang Shixian retires. That's a shame.

12. Bohy

Bohy Regular Member

To
    I agree that she would have matched up better than WYH against most opponents, but you forget one thing. She wouldn't have been seeded. Only top 4 players were seeded (she was 6th place when they did the draw i think). When they send LXR and WYH they knew for sure that they would get good draw and would be on opposing side of the bracket so they couldnt meet before final.

nokh88 likes this.
  13. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Any chances of her making a comeback?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd rather WSX went in place of WYH and even if she's drawn in the same half as LXR, it's much better for LXR to lose to WSX than ended up injured playing Marin. Besides, with WSX's 3 out of 4 victories against Marin recently, she being more stable and mentally tougher than LXR, I feel she enjoys a psychological advantage over Marin and would have a realistic chance of beating her, and Sindhu too against whom WSX won their last four recent encounters. Whatever, this is merely counterfactual reasoning, pointless now.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On another note, I seriously doubt Wang Shixian would consider a comeback. Most probably, she'd be contented to be the woman behind Chen Long. What's more, missing out twice successively in the Olympics selection is more than anybody can bear.

16. Bohy

Bohy Regular Member

Is there any note on that? Are they about to tie a knot?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nothing concrete yet but speculations and rumours abound. I believe it's a matter of time, won't be long, within months, I speculate.

18. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Victor Signed Wang Shixian as Brand Ambassador.

16789582_385435871825085_6984130368240615424_n.jpg

16585549_196664444146378_6044698180245782528_n.jpg

kelana and Justin L like this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Charming, fresh-faced and vivacious

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170324/038877.htm

On March 21-22, the famous Chinese Women's Singles world champion (as on Li Yongbo's terms which include team majors - Justin), Wang Shixiang accepted a reporter's interview. When asked about the state of the CHN National Team and which coach had the greatest impact on her, she frankly acknowledged:" It's still Head Coach, Li Yongbo, he's unlike other coaches, he taught me how to look at my problems when on court." (What follows is a Q & A with WSX)

Q: In the latest BWF world ranking, not a single CHN WS is in the top 5, the highest ranked being the 6th ranked Sun Yu, what's your take on this ?
    A: Let's give the young national women's singles some time. At present their ranking is not high, the main reason being these WS who come after us (LCR, WYH and WSX) are quite young. When we're still in the national team, their participation in top level tournaments was comparatively few, indeed they really need to be put through the mill.
    Actually, the foreign WS are nowadays regarded as very strong, but at the beginning they aren't that remarkable, for a start they weren't able to take on our generation of CHN WS, but following their increased participation in top level events, they gradually rise. Consequently, our next generation of young WS would also require time to accumulate such experience, only then can they gradually mature.

Q: Next, among the current cohort of national WS, who are you most bullish of ?
    A: It's difficult to say, Sun Yu, He Bingjiao, including Chen Yufei, they each have their style, their temperament, hard to say good or bad. I think only by increasing their all-round abilities, through hard work improve their individual strengths,then can they establish their footing on the world stage.

Q: Now there are many "tomboys" among the national WS. not wearing skirts or skorts, what do you think ?
    A: I myself don't particularly wear skirts/skorts, children nowadays wear whatever they find comfortable. From when BWF once regulated the wearing of "skirts/skorts" and its subsequent revocation, most of the time it's still a matter of wearing whatever we feel comfortable in.

Q: There's going to be some policy reforms in the China National Games this year, such as, allowing 19 of the events to have amateur participation, among which is badminton,in addition letting badminton doubles to form cross province partnerships, how do you view these changes ?
    A: I'm a singles player, so cross provincial doubles partnerships doesn't affect me much, but for doubles players the effect is rather big, especially for those not in the national team. Generally speaking, by allowing cross province partnerships in doubles, for sure it'll be the strong pairing up with the strong, the national team players will certainly want to partner another national player, therefore those outside the national team will be greatly affected.
    As for amateur players partaking in the National Games, I fully support it. Don't underestimate these amateur players, they can be very involved in the game, in a competition they take the outcomes more seriously than we do. By introducing amateurs into the National Games, there's much to gain for the development of the sport of badminton, I feel.

Q: This year's China National games, what's your goal ? Emerge Champion ?
    A: Since I'm taking part, of course I want to achieve good results, the thirst for the championship is definitely there, but most importantly is to give my all, to bring out the best in me, and play well in every match.
    At the moment, my form is the same as when I was preparing for the Olympics. Currently, I've been persisting with daily training , steadfast in doing my part every day, and making the fullest preparation. Whether it's the team or individual events, my aim is to work hard for the best results.

Q: Training at Nanjing at present ?
    A: Yes, at Nanjing Sports Institution, practising with the male team members, after all there are relatively few female players in the provinces and there is a gap between them and me, so for the most part I train with the male players.

Q: Won't you be unaccustomed to it?
    A: In terms of speed and pace, certainly not the same, but it's helpful in the mental aspect of the game. However, before the National Games, I will undoubtedly look for a few female players to train with. When all is said and done, female players react differently from the male, the feeling is not the same.

Q: In your professional career, which coach has the greatest impact on you ?
    A: Hard to say, at different stages of your career, there'll be certain coaches who'd have rendered the most help to you.

Q: For instance, at the national team stage, which coach helped you the most ?
    A: In the national team, the coach who influenced me the most should still be Li Yongbo. When I first entered the national team, he paid a lot of attention to me. Li Yongbo's effect on us is mostly not on court but off court. He is different from other coaches generally, most coaches coaches would teach us techniques, how to turn the shuttle, how to drive it. But coach Li would teach us how to see the problems on court during the game, how to analyze the situation. As you know,I experienced a lot of setbacks in my professional career, including a first round defeat in a Sudirman Cup; at that time,public opinion would say, how your game is not right, what you did wrong, but Li Yongbo would still give recognition to my effort and encourage me, only then could I persevere until now. Otherwise,I'd have changed my game long ago and not achieved those (good) results later.

kelana, vixter, Desireless and 2 others like this.