Wang Shixian ( 王适娴 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jun 28, 2009.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    5 stars!!! 100 likes!!

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Thanks for the translation Justin L :)
    French Open is definitely her lucky ground, three times in a row she reached the final, winner (2013, 2014) and runner-up in 2015.
    The most notable achievement of Wang SX so far : 2010 Guangzhou AG gold medalist, 2010 Paris World Championships bronze medalist, All England winner (2011, 2014).

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Wonderful read, thanks a lot! Nice to get to know Wang Shixian better!

My trivia question to fans of Wang:

In Wang's statistics, we can see that she has played 336 singles matches in her career, winning 257 of them. She has also played an inpressive total of 1 (one) match of doubles, which she lost. Does anyone know where she played this doubles match, and with which partner?

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In the just-concluded semifinal match of Wang Shixian vs Akane Yamaguchi at the ongoing German Open GPG '16, I'm incredulous that WSX chose to play offensively towards the end of the third set esp at 19-all. It's so uncharacteristic and unexpected of her which also demonstrated her self-confidence, self-possession and mental strength.

I truly hope it gives her the inner belief that she can play more forcefully when called for, such that she will begin to do it more often from now. That sjould give her the element of surprise just when her opponents least expect it, becoming a secret weapon of sorts to her. Keep it up !

5. RanAHis95

RanAHis95 Regular Member

From what I remember, she played doubles in the 2009 China Masters with Zhang yuchun(who retired a few years ago) and they lost in three sets. Will try and find the scores on tournamentsoftware and post it on here

6. RanAHis95

RanAHis95 Regular Member

Here's the link of the scores for the womens doubles match she played in the 2009 China Masters:

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...5C6AAAD-C499-4729-A879-9B1CDFEBA7A0&player=66

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Hmm. Losing to a 2nd class WD pair in 3 sets. That's not impressive at all.

8. RanAHis95

RanAHis95 Regular Member

I agree that's not exactly impressive, but neither of them had much experience playing doubles, so it's understandable.Besides, they probably didn't train together that many times, seeing as both of them were singles players

9. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I concur! Wasn't it wonderful to see? And it is so nice to see her joy from winning. Her fists went up in the air in joy not only once, but twice and trice! Oh, how I enjoy watching Wang, and regarding confidence in her offensive game she does seem to be on the right track. Her smashes look a bit more potent but most of all more accurate.

10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Haha well maybe that is why she never played a doubles match again. If you want to talk about impressive, did you look at the names she beat en route to her singles title that week? Han Li, Wang Chen, Wang Yihan, Lu Lan, Wang Lin. :eek:

Thanks for answering my trivia question and even finding the tournamentsoftware link!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is a phenomenal memory...

12. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I just watched WSX`s final against Okuhara.

My observation is that WSX should not be selected for the Olympics. She played very smartly and played well, she really deserved to win the final. But in the end, she`s not mentally strong enough. She doesn`t think like a winner.

When she had a 2 point lead, she gave up 2 points in careless mistakes when she was in a good position in the rally. Then she lost a point for biting her nails and delaying the game. When you have the championship on the line, that is not the time to bite your nails. It`s hard to understand what goes through her mind. But I would`t trust her in the Olympics because she`ll do something weird and find a way to lose again.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it was literally a nail biting match.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    she will be given one last chance for the upcoming Uber to be held at her home turf.

15. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Wang Shixian is given a red card for time wasting at 17-17 in the deciding game, after a monstrous 1.5 hour battle against Nozomi Okuhara. This awards Okuhara an extra point and will have a big impact on Shixians state of mind, in this crucial climax moment of the match. Okuhara not surprisingly wins the following point, taking a 19-17 lead and goes on to win 21-19 after almost 2 hours of play.

This umpire was clearly frustrated with the slow pace of both players since the first point of the match. We could hear him over and over again with his annoyed "please play" during the match, having little to no effect on the players.

I understand that he gives the red card. I just wish he would have done it in the first set already. That would have achieved the BWF guideline to speed up the match much better than his "please play". The whole match he had a problem. Still he waits to the very end to give a red card. That is, in my opinion, interfering too much with the outcome of the match, for practically no time gain in total duration of the match.

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I think Li Xuerui is a given, and together with her should be Wang Shixian. Her level of play and court coverage is way superiour to Wang Yihan at the moment. Surely WSX shouldnt be punished for out-performing WYH and treating us to a magnificent final?

17. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

If WSX is not going, who else can go? WYH is way over the hill. Sun Yu and He BingJiao still have a long way to go. LXR and WSX are the only Chinese WS world class players now.

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Definitely should be LXR and WSX.

WYH is absolutely finished and SY is a worse version of WYH.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I heard a clown robbed her of 3rd All England Title.No problem Wang,the title was yours and we know it.

Anyway,she could be an excellent help for Li Xuerui to defend her Olympic Gold. She can beat anyone in the WS and if not then she can definitely tire out her opponent to death. Hope LXR can help her in winning few SS too.

20. morpheus

morpheus Regular Member

I actually think both players should be given a red card for time wasting. Okuhara was delaying the game too but maybe she's a little more likeable compared to the Chinese player.