Wan Wah ruled out, Wong to partner Tan Fook

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Dec2

DOUBLES player Lee Wan Wah will not get to defend the men’s doubles title which he won partnering Choong Tan Fook at the Vietnam Games two years ago.

A knee injury acted up again after the men’s team final against Indonesia on Wednesday. He has been replaced by singles player Wong Choong Hann.

“I informed the organisers about the injury to Wan Wah last night and they granted our request to replace him with Choong Hann,” said chief coach Yap Kim Hock. “Wan Wah’s injury is not serious but I just want to make sure that he does not strain himself. He has just made a comeback from a long break and if he exerts himself too much, he could be out for good.”

With the Commonwealth Games just four months away, Kim Hock is taking the safe approach to ensure that it does not derail his plans to achieve a three-gold target in Melbourne.

Despite the last-minute change, Kim Hock is confident Malaysia’s chances will not be affected.

“We still have Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat. They lost to Alven Yulianto-Luluk Hadiyanto in the first doubles match but I believe it will be different if they meet again,” he said.

Choong Hann has not partnered Tan Fook before but he is an experienced doubles player. He partnered Wan Wah in Malaysia’s gold-medal winning team at the 2001 Games in Kuala Lumpur.