Walkovers @ AE2011

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by coachgary, Mar 10, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No need to get used to it. There are many other measures available for national associations to implement if they want to put a stop to this. The first step is to stop accepting the status quo, and do something, no matter how small, to effect change.

LYB laughs and walks to the bank because people like you and me allow him to. We make him and his players feel welcome wherever they go. We invite them to our tournaments and thank them for coming. We play the good clean guys, and they roll us over.

At some point, we have to stop accepting a fait accompli and be willing to step outside of our own comfort zone, if we hope to accomplish change. And we must not underestimate the power of opinion.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, this is an interesting response.

Let's say if (and I mean a big if) BWF did fix the draw, it doesn't hide the fact that CHN threw away 2 matches. You essentially confirmed for us what most already know.

Oh BTW, the "W" in BWF stands for world, not China. The BWF serves over 150 (I'm guessing) badminton playing nations, not 1. :)

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    All these walkovers ...

I don't like it either but after trying to look from the other side,

I think that's the best way out without breaking a rule :D

They 'cheat' simply because they felt bwf dump most of the china players in one halves.

Its called surviving, can't really blame lyb & co accept banging our balls:D

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What dubios rules?

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What about innocent till proven guilty?

6. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Well then why not just set the limit to 2 players per country in the OG? That's the way it is in table tennis.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    No, BWF is not obliged to redo the WS draw. But with 2 top WS players out (TB/WYH), the bottom half are featherweights while the top half is like war zone stacked with all the heavyweights. Whoever comes out of the top half will be mentally and physically worn out if the players are 'permitted' to play all out to beat each other.
    These are pro players who invested heavily in baddy, I am sure they are just as pissed to be told to do a WO dance or to throw a game.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Just curious.
    Does the Chinese Language have a word for sportsmanship? If there s no such Chinese word, then that will explain why the Chinese people don t understand the meaning of sportsmanship. (Like how in the Eskimo language, there s no such word for 'toothache' since they don t experience it at all.)

9. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Other people have said it too, and I agree: would you rather see them purposely throwing the match instead of withdrawing? I prefer walkovers to half-assed matches which don't say anything about a player's skills and aren't a treat for the spectators either.

Also, extreme measures don't work: banning players for walkovers? How do you prove it was intentional? How do you prove they're not really injured? Are you gonna have "neutral" BWF doctors examining them? Would you ban Tanongsak for the next tournaments because he withdrew, or would the rule apply only to CHN players?

I'm don't like the fixing either, but there isn't much that can be done...

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

profesional players are aiming to win titles.
    professional coaches are aiming to maximise the titles for his/her team.
    once that's clear there isnt much else to discuss.
    do you really think that LYB or any national coach/manager's job description would include a clause as 'to entertain the poor paying public'? if that's the side effect, fine, but definitely low on any coaches' list of priority.

automatic ban for a 'walkout'? you're having a laugh.
    how to you prove that it wasnt a genuine reason?
    are you going to ban [FONT=&quot]SAENSOMBOONSUK of THA's walkout after an easy first round win?
    or[/FONT] PETERSEN/RASMUSSEN of Denmark, again after an easy first round win to so obviously thrown away the match so that their teammates have a better chance?

as i said berfore if people dont wanted to play its no point to force them so. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Regular Member

Limit per country entries in some events.

Only top2 raking players are guarantted not in the same half. I remember in the good old days that the draw is more evenly balanced and avoiding countrymen meeting as possible. Why WBF makes an effort to change this?

12. choonie

choonie Regular Member

Graduate Scientist
    Perhaps to prevent CHN vs CHN finals....? Since there are so many CHN players in the tournaments eg. All England, how are you going to avoid CHN vs CHN matches?

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Have you ever considered the possibility of BWF changing rules not because they want to particularly go against CHN, but for some other reason?

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Brilliant idea.

Then CHN won t bother to play such walkover games. And of course CHN won t boycott the Olympics ,would they?

Imagine, one simple rule to save the face of badminton! Like we used to say in Singapore , ' Stop at Two! '

And like you say, table tennis is already doing it. Why not badminton?

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LYB laughs and walks to the bank because CBA gives LYB full rein to run the shop, not you and me (we are not that powerfull, you know;)). Why BWF recent rules change slapping penalty to any top 10 player who do not play in SS? That rule is clearly targetted at CHN. so it means BWF needs CHN, not the other way. Someone said who needs CHN, well, go ask BWF and the half-empty stadiums w/o CHN will tell you why?Without LD, might as well hand out >half the SS titles to Datuk Lee.
    We are in Canada, I posted before that in one Canadian Open held at the Winter Club in Calgary drew a crowd of 40, yeah 40 that is, free admission and all. The power of the star player, we must not underestimate that, you know;).

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well, to be better yourself is the only option. rather than moaning all the times why CHN always in the final, and took all of the titles occasionally and not leave some to the lesser players. same as the williams sisters in tennis, the only way to avoid each other before the final is to be the best 2 thus seeded 1 and 2.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm... can you think of any other reason?

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Don't bang too hard, otherwise will be out of service:D;) I don't think BWF 'dump' all CHN WS in the same half, just the way the computer originally made up the draw with WYH playing and the CHN WS ranking dictates. But with WYH out, then the draw leaves all the CHN girls in teh same half. I wonder how tensed WX, WSH and JYJ would feel they have to fight each other and only one will survive without being worn out.;)

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. and unfortunately i think LYB thinks the same way, too. so from LYB's point of view, if BWF makes rules to limit CHN's dominance, then LYB will stretch the current rules to maximize it.

and thus, as suetyan says, this is a revenge from LYB. sad, but i think that's what it is.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Fair enough, but it first has to be clearly spelt out in official regulations, with all parameters defined clearly. We cannot arbitrarily decide to re-draw or not just on some feeling. Everyone has vested interest in the draw, and it's a zero-sum situation. If some people prefer a re-draw, there will be others who prefer not to have one. If the rules are clearly spelt out and agreed by everyone before the draw is made, then there is no course for complaint.