VIVO BWF SUDIRMAN CUP 2015 : Day 5 - QUARTERFINALS (14th May 2015)

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2015' started by CLELY, May 13, 2015.

1. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

The draw system clearly isn't perfect, but there are kinks with every single one.
    This way all teams have to try their hardest to win every match, because they cannot guess their opponents and throw matches to avoid certain opponents.
    What you said is essentially true, but can only be said in hindsight, Malaysia could have taken Korea again today. If either WD or MD won, and they had very real chances of doing so, then CPS/GLY could have taken the final mixed doubles game.

2. Satoshi

Satoshi Regular Member

Congrats to Team Korea for the triumph over Team Malaysia with a 3-1 scoreline.

Now that they have beaten Malaysia, I'm rooting for them/Japan to win the whole thing though very unlikely because.. yep I know what you're thinking. China. :p

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I still remembered vividly the incident of Carsten Mogensen / Mathias Boe complained that Lee Yong Dae serve is faulty and distracted their concentration throughout the whole match in the Dubai Super Series Final. Yes, I have to admit that most of the time Lee Yong Dae serve is too high up and faulty but lucky for him to get away with it most of the time. So if the service judge is a strict one, there is no way he can get away with it.

I also remembered someone in this forum saying about Korea players holding back the serve. This is certainly true. I also observed it myself. Sung Ji Hyun holds back her serve for so long. Then Chang Ye Na / Jung Kyung Eun are both worse. They hold back their serve even longer. Gosh this may indirectly cause their opponents to get distracted and lose their concentration.

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Those two complain about almost everything that is not in their favor most of the time so their complaints cannot be taken seriously.

5. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Their complaint that time was that the serve wobbled, kind of like an S serve.
    That was ridiculous.

Koreans on the other hand really do serve far too high and needs to be taken seriously.

6. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    You won't say the same thing if KOR was in fact beaten by IND or drawn into facing CHN today :D:D

I pointed out the fallacy earlier at #234

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. including the service judge's glasses. :)

8. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree. I believe it is a 50-50 match, no clear favourite.

Personally, I feel Japan may have a slight edge over Korea because their team is more balance in all disciplines while Korea's strength is in their doubles.

9. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree. They are a good pair but they have been rather inconsistent in their recent play; iirc they had some early round exits, which is rather surprising for a top pair.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd humbly advise against using team matches to gauge the true performance of the players and pairs because under mounting pressure and critical match situations, some or most of them will either play above or under themselves, rising to the occasion or crumbling unrecognisably.

Often those who do play better than expected cannot reproduce the same level later at other less stressful, normal,individual tournaments. Of course, there are exceptions but they are few and far between.

11. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

#251 tbgoh288, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  12. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
  13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    More like it was LYD who served so badly, that the service judge had to fault him about 7 times ..... wakakakaka. Last night he did much better and thus his concentration did not waver as much, but still, YYS was the better player.

Malaysian MD performance was about the same in both matches with Korea. Close but no cigar this time.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hmm. Then LYD lost it himself on his own serves.

15. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    My opinion is that there is an inconsistency in service judge "cruelty" between different service judges so it depends on which service judge you get, not only how you serve.