Video Reviews, Game Analysis, and Things to Work on!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BadmintonJustin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Oops forgot about that. Yes I'm in white.

2. BadmintonJustin

BadmintonJustin New Member

Cool! @DinB Hope you're staying safe during these times! Here are some general and game specific notes :) Don't hesitate to reach out and ask if you have any questions

General Notes
    - You tend to bring your racket / arm up pretty late when hitting back shots. Try to bring it up earlier so you can generate more power and have a higher range of motion. This is especially prevalent on your forehand side where you wait for the shot to almost fall down before you raise your arm up - players can predict what you will hit and may arleady start moving up.
    - Related to ^, you also tend to only use / rotate your forearm when you swing. Try to incorporate your whole arm (shoulder) in the rotation to have a more smooth swing and follow through. This and the previous tip should help with your consistency in the back a lot.
    - Forehand front shots your arm is stiff. Try to be more loose and relaxed so that your shots are less predictable and more smooth.
    - In singles, consistency is key! You have a lot of simple errors that could be fixed up and polished just from reptition and practice. Work on this when you get the chance :)
    - Footwork and movement can be improved too. If you don't have access to a gym, you can practice shadow footwork outside or at home with limited space, and clean up the movement in your footwork!

Game Notes
    -
    After many shots, you are slow to get back to the middle. 0:57 is an example of one rally, where you hit the first shot in the back and slowly walk back to the middle rather than hopping or moving quicker. This makes it harder for you to reach the next shot
    - Many rallies, it looks like you are playing the game 1 shot at a time rather than fully understanding why you are hitting a shot. For example, you hit a tight net drop but are not ready to attack the re-net or smash the lift. Or after you hit a good smash, you do not try to follow it up with a kill. Try to understand the benefits of each different shot you hit, and the potential opportunities you get from hitting them
    - When your opponent drives or pushes to the back, you most of the time will block, and occasionally clear. Try to mix in some drives or pushes back to force your opponent to be ready for these shots as well
    -

3. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Thank you so much for your feedback. The points you made are very valid. I have just started playing singles so it is really good to have these critiques in order for me to improve. Footwork and consistency, for example, need work. I suppose being conscious about these things and keep practicing will get me better. But unfortunately the courts are not accessible at this time and I don't know when they will be open. In the mean time I'm just doing other things to keep fit.

This is a great point and I've just realized this on my own after failing to retrieve the shuttle several times when the opponent sent a fast shot to my forehand side. Thank you for pointing this out. I will try to improve.

This is a very interesting point. I've always felt that I face my opponent's court too much when doing rear court shots. As a result I am not using the power from my body and perhaps my shoulder and arm as much. Instead I should be more on my side like Tobias's demonstration here.

[​IMG]Untitled

Anticipation is absolutely the difference between new players and more experienced players I guess. I will work on this!

#23 DinB, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Simeon likes this.
  4. BadmintonJustin

Yes! Try your best to keep working on theses things :) This diagram from Tobias is a great one!

5. bunsi thanuvong

bunsi thanuvong Regular Member

công nhân
  6. bunsi thanuvong

công nhân
  7. bunsi thanuvong

công nhân
  8. BadmintonJustin

Hello @bunsi thanuvong , I have a busy week this week but I will try to get to this early next week!

9. BadmintonJustin

Hey @bunsi thanuvong keep up the great work in all your hard work! Some notes I saw:
    - For footwork front left corner, try to step with your right foot first. Right now, you do one step with your left foot before you switch feet and use your right foot
    - Keep working on your form to keep your arm less stiff. Try to use the motion in your whole arm and follow through to give more variety and consistency to your shot, rather than using only your forearm to hit.
    - Your backhand shot form (especially in the front), you tend to drop the racket frame down prior to hitting the shot. This affects your consistency because sometimes you will pick up the racket before hitting (resulting in a good shot), but some time you let the racket stay slanted or bent down and it leads to mistakes

For now, I will suggest that you keep finding chances to play with these players, hopefully your schedule allows you to now! You just need more hitting and game experience to really work on your shot consistency and skills! Keep working on your footwork as well. I admire your work ethic and hope that you still keep it up.

--
    Này @bunsi thanuvong, hãy tiếp tục làm việc tuyệt vời trong tất cả các công việc khó khăn của bạn! Một số ghi chú tôi đã thấy:
    - Đối với động tác chân ở góc trái phía trước, cố gắng bước bằng chân phải trước. Ngay bây giờ, bạn thực hiện một bước bằng chân trái trước khi đổi chân và sử dụng chân phải
    - Giữ dáng để giữ cho cánh tay của bạn bớt cứng hơn. Cố gắng sử dụng chuyển động trên toàn bộ cánh tay của bạn và làm theo để tạo sự đa dạng và nhất quán hơn cho cú đánh của bạn, thay vì chỉ sử dụng cẳng tay để đánh.
    - Hình thức đánh trái tay của bạn (đặc biệt là ở phía trước), bạn có xu hướng hạ khung vợt xuống trước khi thực hiện cú đánh. Điều này ảnh hưởng đến sự kiên định của bạn vì đôi khi bạn sẽ cầm vợt lên trước khi đánh (dẫn đến một cú đánh tốt), nhưng một số lúc bạn lại để vợt nghiêng hoặc cúi xuống dẫn đến sai lầm

Hiện tại, tôi sẽ đề nghị bạn tiếp tục tìm kiếm cơ hội chơi với những người chơi này, hy vọng lịch trình của bạn cho phép bạn hiện tại! Bạn chỉ cần có thêm kinh nghiệm đánh và trải nghiệm trò chơi để thực sự phát huy tính nhất quán và kỹ năng bắn của mình! Tiếp tục làm việc với chân của bạn. Tôi ngưỡng mộ đạo đức làm việc của bạn và hy vọng rằng bạn vẫn giữ nó.