[Video Review] Tennisman StringMaster Deluxe SE

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Apr 5, 2019.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

After what feels like months in the making, I'm fairly relieved to finally present the video review of the Tennisman StringMaster Deluxe SE machine (see https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/brand-new-stringing-machines.179755/).

What was originally planned as a ~5 minutes walk-through filmed with the mobile phone turned out to be a 30+ minutes trilogy. Anyway, I hope that it's informative and maybe even a little bit entertaining. :)

Part I - Overview & Turntable

Part II - Clamps & Bases

Part III - Pulltest & Summary

As mentioned in the video, here's the link to the album filled with detailed pictures:
    https://www.amazon.de/photos/share/wToP3uXPzqpyuWV2T6KLqgJ6oy3KAI8Hsy413Rhak0E/

Since I'm planning to do more stuff like that in the future, I'm also very curious to hear your thoughts about it and feel free to make suggestions on what to improve next time.

Thanks a lot to @Tennisman Dirk for the great support and making this happen in the first place. Also a big thank you to @speCulatius for both special effects and mental support! :)

But now, let's get the discussion started!

#1 s_mair, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Ouchie, KWSKJP, Fidget and 12 others like this.
  2. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    Nice Videos! Could you pls make a video of the hole stringing process with a camera view from above. I need to know if the racket is moving during the hole process.

Thanks in advance

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've planned exactly that as a next project. Might be showing my usual pattern with a TTY-style modification.

BadBadmintonPlayer likes this.
  4. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Very informative videos. Nice to get a closer look at this machine along with the explanations. Well done.

Do you have the original tension head (drop weight)? It would be nice if you can show it.
    Also looking forward to the stringing video.

The whole machine is huge!
    I'd like the badminton only version more but it surely makes more sense to be able to do other rackets as well.

To bad I can not justify getting one of these since I'm not doing a lot of stringjobs and don't plan to go professional...

Biggest question is: are you gonna keep it?;)

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

You know the answer to that question. You knew it before @s_mair received the machine. ;)

endFX, s_mair and thyrif like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm afraid I didn't get the original drop weight mechanism along with the rest of the machine. I knew I was going to mount the WISE on it anyway and Dirk was happy to save some shipping costs. Fun fact - they need to send the drop weight arm in a separate package since the machine incl. the arm exceeds the weight limit for regular shipments with DHL and most other shipping services (31.5 kg).

And yeah, it seems as if I'm going to keep it. I'm weak and easy to impress. So I didn't really stand a chance.

#6 s_mair, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    endFX likes this.
  7. MrTraitor

MrTraitor Regular Member

Should I watch this ? .... only afraid i may look down on my ancient machine and the urge to upgrade

I am safe so far the links doesn't work for me

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The links don't work? That's strange. Are you using Tapatalk or browser?

I've seen that Tapatalk messed up the links (as always), but that should be fixed already.

9. MrTraitor

MrTraitor Regular Member

i am on my pc browser

Attached Files:

• err.jpg
      err.jpg
      File size:
      216.3 KB
      Views:
  10. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Same here... "Es ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Bitte versuche es später noch einmal. (Wiedergabe-ID: Chn0wmosHL4jq8C_)
    Weitere Informationen"

Go direct to youtube and search "String Master Deluxe" :)

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Now it should be working again, please check. I've deleted the links and entered them once more via Tapatalk. Compatibility between BC and Tapatalk is still a bit lacking I'm afraid.

12. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Works now :)

s_mair likes this.
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very nicely done!

14. MrTraitor

MrTraitor Regular Member

the machine does have a wow factor.

15. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

indeed very good quality and informative video. to give you some feedback, here are my subjective points:
    positive:
    - the style and tempo of narrative
    - picture quality
    - almost no "water", all relevant and informative
    - honest clamp testing
    slightly negative:
    - sound quality (audible backgr.noise)
    - a mixd feel of personal review and salesman presentation
    - intro is "bloody" and sound too harsh
    - very little action demonstration. It is like reviewing a guitar not actually playing it. I would prefer to see setting up the machine to badminton, mounting the racket, start stringing (and all the comments in between).
    - to my taste, there is no need to spent time on anouncing content. I may be useful, for an hour long review, with hyperlinks to actual chapters, otherwise just boring.

as to the machine, there are 2 big diffs, compared to, say S70. Braking system., Is it a big deal - is left unclear.

the other major diff is the bases, and my biggest question is, how reliable this mechanics is. There is small spring seen inside, and visually the mechanism looks lil fragile and complex. This question cannot be fully answered in a review, of course, but what is your opinion?

s_mair likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's a lot of valuable feedback, thanks a lot! I didn't have a real plan when I started filming, so it all kind of developed during the process.

The sound quality is bugging me too. But I know the reason (don't impulse-buy cheap microphones!) and already have a plan to improve that with the next clip.

The breaking system:
    It's a manual break, so not to be mixed up with the auto-locking breaks that engage whilst the string is pulled.
    So personally, I don't really have a use for it, except when checking the calibration or clamp adjustment. So to me, it's clearly not a feature that would make me decide in favor of the StringMaster compared to a T70 for example.

Clamp base reliability:
    Time will have to prove quality and reliability in the end. But going by feel, the mechanics appear to be solid and give me confidence. There's nothing rattling or moving loosely and the feel at the moment of locking is reassuring and in no way flimsy. I haven't opened the base to check out its intestines, but maybe I will do that once I really own the machine myself.

You will see it in action in the next video then.

#16 s_mair, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Nice video!

Good to have a close-up look at the new machine. It does look well made and the new clamp bases seem very nicely thought out! I would like to see the stringing video, too. I am curious to your pattern and see you working with the machine.

I've been very tempted to order one as well (badminton only version), but am still happy with my T20 dropweight right now so I will postpone that until a later time.

Dutchinese likes this.
  18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That is a nice-looking machine!
    A very thorough review with attention to detail. Good job.

The only disappointment is that you don't look anything like Ralph Wiggum.;)

s_mair likes this.
  19. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Great review! From my point of view it would definitely be worth the extra cash. Given all the features it has (single-knob side mounts, auto-release clamp bases, excellent build quality) I'd say it's not so much an expensive entry level machine, more like a cheap deluxe one, if you see what I mean. When I was looking to upgrade, I couldn't find a dropweight that had all those features, which is why I ended up going down the expensive route! This machine with a Wise would have 90% of the features of my Gamma 8900 ELS at less than 50% of the cost.

Super85 and s_mair like this.
  20. KWSKJP

KWSKJP Regular Member

This is a very interesting build at an absolutely attractive price point. I m especially mesmerized by the clamp bases with 3 different ergonomic methods of release. How does it feel in comparison to the Yonexs (Toyo) , Gammas (Ai Ding) and Victors (Poreex/Leung)?

s_mair likes this.