Video ref trial at Superseries Finals

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    player's power!

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Which match was that? a QF match?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can't remember and I have no recording.

Possibly QF upwards.

4. LJ Defender

LJ Defender New Member

Retired
    I am glad to hear that there has been a successful challenge to an umpire overrule as it was getting too prevalent at some tournaments. Also, thanks to Craigandy for the kind words about my writing. I spent the majority of my career writing documents including reports and I guess old habits die hard.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    We are glad to have you onboard.

I speculate that with the introduction of Instant Review System, there will be less overrule.

6. LJ Defender

LJ Defender New Member

Retired
    Thanks for your welcome. I can't promise to always respond but if I have anything to say that I think will interest people I will post comments. As for the System reducing overrules - it reduced them to nothing on Court 1 at the Superseries finals where the System was installed and, if it's true that an umpire's overrule was proved wrong in Korea, then that will reduce the number even further.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I just watch Ratchonok vs Sung JH, semi final. The umpire overrule the line judge. And a player challenge!!

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

Just wondering, after the umpire overrule the line judge, what if players on both sides challenges? One side wants to challenge the line judge, the other wants to challenge the umpire. What then??

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, the side who wants to challenge second doesn't have to waste a challenge at all, since they'll know soon enough from the instant video review from the side to challenge first. ;)

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

There is no point in challenging the line judge. The umpire overruled the line judge, so the umpire's call is what "matters" or "stands". So, the player would have to challenge the umpire's overrule.

For example, if I smash it, the line judge calls it in, but the umpire overrules it and says out, out is the call on the field and is what has to be challenge. There's no point in challenging the line judge call that the shot is in, the umpire already made the overrule that it is out. So if there was no challenge, the call on the field would stand as out. So if my opponent decides to challenge the line judge call, then time is just wasted because the umpire ruled it out. (Unless the opponent wants to be honest and is saying the umpire made a bad overrule and that it was in, and want to give the point to the opponent then okay).

Hopefully that made sense.

#130 CantSmashThis, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    A player should be allowed to challenge the side's challenge. :D

just kidding.

#131 pcll99, Jan 16, 2014
  12. LJ Defender

LJ Defender New Member

Retired
    Once an umpire has overruled a line judge's call that is the definitive decision of the court officials and the only one that can be challenged (if one is to be made). That's it.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    so, players on both side have three options:

(1) ask to umpire to overrule
    (2) if overruled by umpire, challenge that overrule.
    (3) if no overrule by umpire, challenge the line judge.

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The challenge from the player has to be made immediately. You can't ask for an overule then challenge. If you have your hand up challenging as the chair umpire is stating overule then I take it they discard your challenge and the opposition is then allowed to challenge in a delayed way.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I didn't know about that.

I thought i can ask for (or wait for) umpire overrule. If it is clear he won't overrule, I can then challenge. I don't know. It is very confusing to me.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Actually the rules are pretty badly written once again so I am also confused now I look at it. It says the challenge must be made immediately on shuttle landing but also says and call made. So the call from who is unclear, is it the line judge or a potential overrule. They need to rewrite that rule(to include and call made by line person) or be totally ok with delayed challenges therfore the rule needs to read A challenge can be made at any point before the commencement of the next rally.
    . PLAYER CHALLENGE

2.1 The challenge must be made immediately the shuttle has landed and the call
    made, and before the commencement of the serve for the next rally.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=516818&dl=1

#136 craigandy, Jan 16, 2014
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

In the Adcock/Adcock vs Liu/Bao XD yesterday, Bao challenged a line call on the opponent's rear sideline. Only to be told by the umpire that there're no cameras on the sidelines to do a video review. :)

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what if the line judge is unsighted, for example his view was blocked by the player. Can the instant review system step in and help?

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In this case the line judge should signal that he is 'unsighted' for the umpire to call 'let', if the umpire is also unable to make a decision whether the bird lands in or out.

Can a 'let' be challenged by a player?

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Here is the complete rules from BWF on instant review. None of the above circumstances are covered so there is no answer:cool:

1. INSTANT REVIEW SYSTEM

1.1 On a court where an Instant Review system is in operation a player/pair may
    challenge a Line-judges call, or the overrule call of an Umpire.

2. PLAYER CHALLENGE

2.1 The challenge must be made immediately the shuttle has landed and the call
    made, and before the commencement of the serve for the next rally.

2.2 On receiving the player’s challenge the Umpire will signal the Referee who will
    review the line call using the Instant Review system.

2.3 If the call by the line-judge or overrule by the Umpire is deemed incorrect, the
    players challenge is successful, and the decision by the line-judge or Umpire is
    reversed.

3. LOSING THE RIGHT TO CHALLENGE

3.1 A player/pair has two rights to challenge line calls during the duration of the
    match.
    3.2 If a call, after review, is deemed correct then the player/pair loses one right to
    challenge.

3.2 If the player/pair is deemed to have incorrectly challenged twice then they lose
    any further right to challenge during the match.

3.3 If the player/pair’s challenge is successful they retain the right to challenge and
    do not lose it.