Victor Korea Open Superseries 2017 (September 12-17, 2017)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Master

Master Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Category : Superseries

Venue : SK Handball Stadium, Seoul, KOR

Total Prize Money : US$600,000

Tournament Software Link : https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=C7E638C4-27A0-42F6-A352-61FA94B71461

BWF Page : http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/tournaments/2668/victor-korea-open/

Live Streaming : http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f
    BWF Streaming (use proxy/VPN in order to watch, set country as UK/US) : https://www.youtube.com/user/bwf

KOR Time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=16372&forma=Find Time

2016 WINNERS => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/winners.aspx?id=F75929F5-694C-443E-A133-4076398D5585

• MS - Qiao Bin (CHN)
    WS - Akane Yamaguchi (JPN)
    MD - Lee Yong Dae/Yoo Yeon Seong (KOR)
    WD - Jung Kyung Eun/Shin Seung Chan (KOR)
    XD - Ko Sung Hyun/Kim Ha Na (KOR)

This year Korea SS would be more interesting and more competitive than 2016 edition. All sectors will be contested starting from the qualifying round. Korea SS become the first Superseries tournament post World Championships, SEA Games and Summer Universiade.

In Men's single three-time winner Lee Chong Wei will meet last year defending champion Qiao Bin who defeated Son Wan Ho in last year’s final. Meanwhile, Son Wan Ho will have a tricky opening round facing Huang Yuxiang, who won their only previous meeting. Summer Universiade gold medallist Wang Tzu Wei and SEA Games gold medalist Jonatan Christie also would give us their best effort to make some expecting upset.

Sung Ji Hyun is still in the hunt for her third title since 2013 and 2015 but it's not easy for her. In second round she would possible meeting Chen Yufei, Chinese National Games gold medalist. Tai Tzu Ying will be strong contender here after she won gold medal at Summer Universiade and skipping World Championship ticket. Women's single will featuring all top 10 player except Sun Yu.

No Lee Yong Dae/Yoo Yeon Seong would make some home fans sad, but don't worry Yoo Yeon Seong/Lim Khim Wah (MAS) would showing their debut performance here. Men's double reigning World Champion Zhang Nan/Liu Cheng against SEA Games gold medalist Dechapol Puavaranukroh/Kittinupong Kedren (THA) would be interesting after their only previous encounter which ended in rubber games.

Women’s doubles featuring no reigning World Champion, but still have SEA Games & Summer Universiade gold medalist. Jongkolphan Kititharakul/Rawinda Prajongjai (THA), SEA Games gold medalist will replay their SEA Games' opening match against Greysia Polii/Apriyani Rahayu (INA). While Summer Universiade gold medalists Hsu Ya Ching/Wu Ti Jung will meet Asian Championship runner-up Hye Rin Kim/Yoo Hae Won (KOR). As the defending champion, Jung Kyung Eun/Shin Seung Chan hoping their home fans will give them strong advantage through the final match.

Zheng Siwei/Chen Qingchen have a clear sight to take their third Superseries title of the year since the absent of the World Champions or the current All England winners. But don't forget about Seung Jae Seo/Kim Ha Na seems to be dark horse pair to trouble any mixed pair in their path. And also if Choi Solgyu/Chae Yoo Jung shows their consistency, they would have better chance here.

Withdrawal List :
    Lee Chong Wei [2] (MAS)
    Victor Axelsen [3] (DEN)
    Srikanth Kidambi [5] (IND)
    • Fabian Roth (GER)
    • Zhao Junpeng (CHN)
    Carolina Marin [4] (ESP)
    • Saina Nehwal (IND)
    • Chen Yufei (CHN)
    • Sabrina Jaquet (SUI)
    Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong [4] (MAS)
    • Huang Kaixiang/Wang Yilyu (CHN)
    • Hiroyuki Endo/Yuta Watanabe (JPN)
    • Mathias Christiansen/David Daugaard (DEN)
    • Huang Dongping/Li Yinhui [5] (CHN)
    • Puttita Supajirakul/Sapsiree Taerattanachai [8] (THA)

• Vivian Hoo/Woon Khe Wei (MAS)
    • Ni Ketut Mahadewi Istarani/Rosyita Eka Putri Sari (INA)
    • Arisa Higashino/Ayane Kurihara (JPN)
    • Zheng Siwei/Chen Qingchen [1] (CHN)
    • Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen [3] (DEN)
    • Dechapol Puavaranukroh/Sapsiree Taerattanachai [5] (THA)

• Yuta Watanabe/Arisa Higashino (JPN)
    • Edi Subaktiar/Gloria Emanuelle Widjaja (INA)

#1 Master, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    renbo, samkool, Vijay P. and 3 others like this.
  2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

also Edi Subaktia/Gloria Emanuelle Widjaja

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why do they want to withdraw ? Two weeks after the WC not enough rest for them at their age? Or to concentrate on next week's JPN Open SS (the rationale) ?

I see some of the CHN players/pairs actually competing n their 3rd or 4th back-to-back tournaments this week followed by another one next week !

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Thailand, Indonesia and Denmarks pair are injured. Axelsen clearly said he needs more rest. Malaysian pair is separating. Don't know bout the Indian though

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Didnt Bao Yixin gets registered? She announced her retirement. Wow so many chinese players are 'forced' to retire due to the fierce nature of the competition in the country.

Zheng/ChenQingChen is also withdrawing from Korea i heard.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yeahhh

CBA somehow 'looks' as the worst confederation in terms of player service quality.
    It's just like everybode tries to aim for the top and not enjoying the time to play internationally as a part of life.
    This just makes them to want to retire when they are not at the top....

CBA (and BWF) really has to address this problem, especially for the fans who wants to watch the best badminton player
    to compete at the highest level internationally

#6 stanleyfm, Sep 11, 2017
  7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Kidambi withdrew?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Still I am seeing his name in draw.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

9. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

everyone that mentioned above are still in the draw..... -_-

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's not surprising for Bao Yixin, Zheng Siwei, Chen Qingchen to withdraw last-minute, they've just played three consecutive weeks of intense competition, nothing to do with 'CBA's player service quality'.

I think it's not uncommon for any player from any MA to do that.

#10 Justin L, Sep 11, 2017
  11. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am refering to the retirement of Bao Yixin
    Don't you read completely?

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Retired officially?? When?o_O:eek:

13. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Brother yoji, she's retiring from Korean open or from the national team? Can clarify and maybe provide link to article/source? Many thanks.

14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Instagram. I just learned the power of instagram to gain the latest information in the past few weeks/months

15. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I hardly call instagram official.

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Retiring from badminton. many good talents retire just like that. Then again, too many talents so ...,what to do. Yixin was hailed as next Yunlei, not meant to be. Many players also lost in generation. I can understand in MS if many chinese players retiring because Chen and Lin is just too good and many caught in generations trap but in other sectors, its a waste where they can still compete if they put their minds into it. This is the reason that is contributing to weaker MS in china national team,. China still have to depend on 34 years old Lin in WC final is an example.

17. Master

Master Regular Member

She was registered in 2017 Japan SS (partnering with Tang Jinhua), but she hasn't registered in 2017 Korea SS.

For Korea SS the registered WD are Huang Dongping/Li Yinhui, Du Yue/Xu Ya and Huang Yaqiong/Yu Xiaohan. From that 3 pairs, Huang Dongping/Li Yinhui withdrew.

#17 Master, Sep 11, 2017
  18. Master

Master Regular Member

Some news around:

Viktor Axelsen withdraws from Korea Open

[​IMG]

Copenhagen: Four days after finishing as the new World Champion at the BWF World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark who climbed one spot to World No. 2 in the latest BWF world ranking, announced Thursday that he has withdrawn from the Korean Open that will be held in Seoul, from September 12 to September 17.

Axelsen said he needed more rest following his winning run in Glasgow.

As a world champion, I already secured a place at the Dubai finals, and I don’t have to play in too many tournaments to collect points for the Dubai rankings. For now, my priority is to get some rest and stay healthy,” said Axelsen.

Instead, Axelsen turned his focus on the next tournament after Korea Open, which is the Japan Open Superseries.

Viktor Axelsen has learned last year that he was having trouble getting his body back on track after winning Olympic bronze in Rio. He tried to avoid the same situation by taking a break after this year’s World Championships.

I am ready to take on the challenges and to stay on top. I’ll continue to improve my physical and mental toughness,” added Axelsen.

Fortunately, badminton fans are going to see some action from Axelsen pretty soon after all.

I got really motivated specially after winning big tournaments such as World Championships, I am not going to take a long holiday, I just need some rest to get my body and fitness back.

Read from : http://www.badmintonplanet.com/badminton-news/10803-viktor-axelsen-withdraws-korea-open.html

_____

Saina Nehwal and Srikanth Kidambi pull out of the Korea Open Superseries

What’s the story?

The first Superseries tournament post the World Championships - the Victor Korea Open - will see two of India’s key shuttlers missing from the action as Saina Nehwal and Srikanth Kidambi have both pulled out of this Seoul tournament, scheduled to begin on September 12.

The men’s singles India No. 1 Srikanth has confirmed to Sportskeeda that there are no injury concerns as such but he has opted to take some rest. Saina, on the other hand, is said to be recovering from a thigh strain which necessitated the withdrawal.

The chief national coach Pullela Gopichand has meanwhile confirmed to The Times of India on their pullout, adding that the duo is expected to be back at the next Superseries tournament in Japan.

They are only minor injuries but will take little time to heal. We thought it would be better to skip Korea but they will be back in Japan,” Gopichand said.

In case you didn’t know...

Saina has reunited with Gopichand exactly three years after she parted ways with him to train under Vimal Kumar at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy in Bangalore.

The heart of the matter

After joining forces with her former mentor, Nehwal has been able to do only light training as pain in her leg prevented her from doing the heavy workout. The former World No. 1 has immersed into full training only from September 7.

And that is the reason why she needed some time before she could feel confident to participate in the elite level tournaments.

Since there are six Superseries events still left in the 2017 calendar, the top shuttlers have been careful not to overdo things. It was during this swing of the year in 2016 that Srikanth suffered from the ankle injury that kept him on the sidelines for three months. His decision to withdraw is thus understandable.

What’s next?

The Japan Open Superseries is scheduled to begin in Tokyo on September 19.

Author’s take

Nothing can be more important that a player’s health. Since performances in each of the next Superseries tournaments will be vital in contributing to a player’s qualification at the prestigious year-ending Dubai World Superseries Finals, it is advisable to put fitness over participation.

That will only make them more confident when they face the world’s best at the remaining Superseries tournaments this year.

Read from : https://www.sportskeeda.com/badminton/saina-nehwal-srikanth-kidambi-pull-out-korea-open-superseries

nilesh123, Cheung, renbo and 2 others like this.
  19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The first one of the message is from a certain Zhao, I am not sure who it is. The second one is from "Da Shuang", which is probably one of the twin. It says playing badminton had been a pain in the ass, and she's happy to quit though what she learnt in the National team was great and will be carried in her next career.

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

What happened to Choi/Chae, forcing withdrawal?