Victor CHINA Open 2018 : Round of 32-FINAL (18-23 September)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Sep 17, 2018.

1. azerez

azerez Regular Member

Ginting still make silly mistakes from time to time and need to be constantly reminded by his coach to focus, that's why he constantly trailing in this tournament, let's wait a bit to compare him with Momota

wade likes this.
  2. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Lol i dont know if this make sense but if i beat someone at the gym 20 times and lost the last 2 games, i wouldnt dare mention our head to head record, im just gonna go train some more until i can beat him again

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I wonder how Han/Zhou feels after seeing Rasmussen celebrated like that. Celebrated being celebrated huh. Thats why dont count your chickens before it hatches.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well thats what makes competition.

5. martin mapaliey

martin mapaliey Regular Member

china badminton really is struggling..1 title from home soil tournament.....look how far the mighty has FALLEN...the good note is they still dominate mixed double....

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Better than zero back in 2016

7. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

There’s no doubt that Indonesia already have a worthy replacement for their men’s singles legend Taufik Hidayat.

At the beginning most people foreseen Jonathan as a worthy replacement for Taufik Hidayat.

[​IMG]

Though I'd say Ginting who's showing so much potential among other INA rising stars...

[​IMG]

Still needs to improve but he is young. So has to polish certain aspects of his game & be more consistent. ;)

Amlite likes this.
  8. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Why does it tarnish his image, outside Japan where celebrities are supposed to have perfect public image? I would blame Kenichi Tago about the ban, it was him with the gambling addiction. In Japanese culture if your senior colleague asks you to join him you do not say no. To me his gambling ban is similar to Victor Axelsen getting a speeding ticket. Unlike let's say Lee Chong Wei doping ban.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Losing two times to any of the top players is not uncommon, in the past Lin Dan has never lost twice in a row to LCW before until in recent years when he even lost thrice in succession to LCW, that not just once but two times, yet how many people say LCW is definitely better than Lin Dan (except perhaps in recent months) ?

Besides, their H2H record against each other is quite even, today's match score is close, what's more Momota won twice before losing twice to Ginting in the last couple of months. What's more, Momota has won the WC just a month ago and is poised to be WR1 after this week's performance, so on both counts, not forgetting tournaments won, he is ahead of Ginting. On another count, losing twice in two weeks to Ginting is what favours the younger man, but only temporarily.

That's why I say, it's too early to draw any conclusion as to who is better. I suggest we wait for another six months or so to get a clearer picture.

Even so, we know how Marin has been losing to certain players and not winning many tournaments for like 1.5 years, and all of a sudden she 's back to her winning ways again. Therefore, to claim one player is definitely better than another, we need more convincing proof or points of argument than just A beating B twice in a row even if it's achieved in two consecutive weeks.

For example, is Chen Yufei definitely better than Akane Yamaguchi for beating her twice in two weeks ? I don't think so, at most I'd say the two ladies are in the same league now.

#1849 Justin L, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  10. super-g

super-g Regular Member

I would not say Ginting is the best player yet. He is too inconsistent, every 6 months he wins one tournament followed by many first/second round exits. His world ranking is not that good and he has not won any major tournaments. Maybe that inconsistency is about to change now, maybe not.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I agree with you, he is not the best. But with this win here Ginting has just proven that his performance in AG wasn't just a fluke and he is now ready to be one of the top contenders.

Though that inconsistency before was probably due to his lack of stamina and lack of mental strength to finish a match. In the preparation for the AG, I read in some article that most INA players had been trained to endure rubber sets match every day. Seemed like it paid off. He is getting more confident and more consistent in the past few weeks and able to win his matches day by day in 3 tight rubber games. What he needs to work on now is how to get his game going in slow halls.

Amlite and stanleyfm like this.
  12. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Ofcourse, he is not the best yet. The good thing is, he's gotten the most important trophy of his career at this young age and still has more years to improve and even win more. I'm looking forward to seeing how heated the Momota-Ginting rivalry is going to become over the next few years. :p:p

Anyway congrats to all winners and runner ups...

[​IMG]

Momota and Han/Zhou look unhappy on the podium tho. :(

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Point 23 in G1 just emphasise it all. This is WorldNumber 1 you are talking about and he is left defending for his dear life,scrambling left and right, lifting shuttles over and over, diving for no avail. That point was unbelievable.

Its funny that player always lift when feeling the pressure but feels like momota net play is second best compared to ginting.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Emphasize what actually?o_O That Momota had an amazing defense and tremendous will to fight despite being the WR1 ?
    You sounded just like .. umm what was his name? That commentator in AG, Paul?

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe Momota thought "not another plate? I have plenty already" and hated that flowers on his head :D
    On a serious note, he looked exhausted. He needs a lot of rest.

16. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

Well Ginting just gave a glimpse of what could be possible in the future. Whereas momota is proven. From unranked to world number 1 in less that a year is no fluke.
    Ginting still need to show his skills are real and are there to stay.
    There are players like sozonov/Ivanov, praveen/Debby, winning the all England, and that's about it...

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  17. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    ihsan maulana has just won indonesia master 2018 today

Ihsan Maulana MUSTOFA [1] [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] LIN Yu Hsien [7]
    21-17 23-21

Amlite likes this.
  18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Current MS routine will change in the future. It happened last year and as well as this year. The problem is Ginting has the game to beat Momota but his game (right handed) can be handled well by many others who can beat him in the top 10. But as far as now, Kento Momota , very big advantage of him being the left handed , his game is more or less not yet scrutinized by top 10 players yet.

Is it me or any other can guess that kento momota's game is more like Indonesian game. It's not like japanese game. All other MS of Japan play differently (more of runners) except Momota who plays brilliantly as far as now. He adapts his game to his opponent. Still many players are working out a plan to beat him. But Ginting's natural game suits to beat Momota. That's the key here. He don't need to change anything . His game itself is enough to beat Momota, whereas all other players need to workout a plan to beat him. Patience is the key.

SpursIndonesia likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I suggest we refrain from talking about the next few years, but take it one year at a time.

Recall what transpired the last two years or so ? First, it was Kidambi Srikanth who was all the rage; later, it was Viktor Axelsen's turn; then, lately , Kento Momota's ; now, it's become Anthony Ginting's.

A few months down the road, say, by the middle of next year - who will it be ? Don't be surprised, another MS emerges to stir our imagination, apart from LCW, of course, assuming he's making a comeback. But as LCW is 'aged' in badminton terms he is unlikely to dominate for too long (a year at most ?), as such I'm thinking it more likely to be another young gun.

No, I'm not going to name names. How many of us foresee Anthony Ginting would be the one so soon, just as not many foresaw Momota to rise up so fast in so short a time.

At most I'd say, the rivalry between Ginting and Momota will rule until year end, and possibly stretches to the first half of next year, except that with LCW mostly likely making a comeback, the party may probably be spoiled by the living legend.

Imagine a 35-year-old LCW could beat prime Momota for the MAS Open title, and even threatened to run away with G1 of his match with Momota at the INA open before , as we now know, his respiratory problem due to nose cancer , affected him and caused his performance to suddenly nosedived - how amazing that is, incredible but true ! So much so I'm not prepared to rule him out,on the contrary, he is such a rare phenomenon that I believe he will make a successful comeback early next year.

Let's wait and see.

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Lets just take a thing at a time

Lets just let LCW out of the discussion and just let him focus on her health instead of imagining him on the court again.....

mohans likes this.