Victor 72/76/80 holes stringing pattern

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 6, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from the Victor 2011 Catalog

the Victor pattern is similar to the Haribito pattern.

a one string/two knots pattern with bottom 4 cross split up from the rest.

the instruction says, the top 5 cross and the 4 bottom cross should have the same tension as the mains, while the remaining middle cross should be 2 lbs tighter.

the short end of the cross should be 90-100cm.

IMG_0125-2.jpg IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0118.jpg

tidno1 likes this.
  2. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Is that normal to do Double Backs on the ends before the tie offs?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is for the Yonex pattern for the mains, but this is the first time i see it applied to the top of the cross. i have yet to understand why even do it at all. what is the benefit compared to doing it the simple way.

4. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

no Sir, it is not the same with Haribito.
    they are different at the last 3 mains.

5. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    Victor Meteor X80 Stringing job

Hey,
    I play witht the MX80 at the moment, and I'm a bit unsure about the stringing I do string my rackets myself and so far I used the 4 knot method.

But now I can't use the method as I'm used to be. Hodo you string the MX80?

4 knots or 2 knots? and if 4 knots where do you tie it ?!

:) Cheetah

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Anyone have the string pattern for this racket ? I'm looking for it aswell:(

7. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

8. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    String Pattern.jpg

Here's an image of the mx80 string pattern that I took from the catalog. Hope it helps.

9. gavias

gavias Regular Member

=>> New Technic to String rackets with 72 holes

Do you agree with this technic to string rackets with 72 holes?

stringing_Brave_Sword_72_holes.jpg

This is a two knots stringing. Almost everyone says that its better with 4 knots.

And what about the 5 bottom strings and the top last 4 strings with the same tension of the verticals? This will avoid that the racket stretch, but this tension will not distribute to all the horizontals?

10. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

This is the current official pattern for Victor racquets. Though I am more inclined to use a two-piece Yonex pattern for 72 hole racquets, victor pattern has its merits, saving on strings is an obvious one.

I think there has been numerous discussions on this forum, on two knot vs four knot. While your friends prefer two knots, one famed stringer, AK, prefers four knots over two knots.

I am not worrying too much about the "uneven tension on crosses" with extra pounds on the middle crosses. Even with a 6-point machine you will see frame deformation at higher tensions when stringing, and I guess the extra pounds on the crosses might be used for this purpose. So long the racquet frame shape stays the same after the string job, I'm a happy man.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    merged threads.

this is the Victor 72 holes pattern. zombie0517 already have a nice summary and thoughts on it.

12. gavias

gavias Regular Member

Kwun, the question is that this pattern is being purposed by Victor for some technical reason. As you know the Yonex pattern is also applied by many other brands. So, to me doesn't seams that this pattern is a specific pattern for Victor rackets, I suppose.

As you know using 2 lbs more on the crosses the racket stretches. This stringing method from Victor seams to pretend to resolve this problem. The ideal racket shape is the one that it has without strings. Perhaps this method could do the trick.

I did several questions about this to verify if someone has experience with this kind of method and tell us which are the results. And because has you know, there are several favorable opinions about the 4 knots stringing and the one that is being indicated by Victor is with 2 knots. We are always learning, so it seams that this should be reviewed.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to me, these are the differences the Victor 72 holes pattern bring to the table when compared to Yonex:

- slightly progress tension on the cross. 2 lbs high in the middle crosses attempts to correct racket tension deviation from the main tension. while keeping the same tension at the ends to reduce stress and lower effective tension.

- one piece vs 2 piece. i believe the Victor pattern is rooted on the Gosen school so they prefer 1 piece

- center string first. leaning towards getting the center strings done first (default on main, slightly so on the cross) to add tension symmetry.

i have tried the 80 holes pattern on my MX80 and the result is favorable. a more responsive and powerful string bed compared to the plain pattern. however, i only done this once and more longer term experiment as well as A/B comparison will give a more definite answer.

14. gavias

gavias Regular Member

The Victor stringing pattern its not a regular 2 knots stringing. So, perhaps the disadvantages normally associated with the 2 knots stringing pattern don't exist in the Victor method. This is your opinion?

miki likes this.
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what disadvantage are you referring to?

the main disadvantage is the longer string that needs to be managed. it takes much longer time to have to pull that much string through.

are there anything else?

16. gavias

gavias Regular Member

Some people say that the tension are poorly distributed, because is more asymmetric then with 4 knots, and the tension loss is higher.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't see how 1 piece is more asymmetric than 2 piece given that we are doing the simple center out main, and bottom up cross.

perhaps if you do more fancy flow like 50/50 cross, then it is more symmetric. but i don't see many people doing that regularly. most people do top down or bottom up.

and with one string segment and fewer knots, the tension loss should be smaller.

18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

that's right boss ...
    many people just quote someone's, simply because they didn't do stringing service.
    nowadays, mostly I do Haribito Professional ....

19. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I've tried out this method and the 4 knot regular pattern on MX80's and from my experience on my 6 point mounting machine I prefer throwing the standard 4 knots method on it. Victor seems to try and address frame shape and tension sweet spot all in one go. Adding 2lbs extra on my machine leads to narrowing of the frame, and having two tie off knots on the cross especially the top leads to a loose top cross.

Performance wise, my friends actually preferred the 4 knots as it felt it had more consistent power. Durability wise, the Victor pattern didn't last as long either. At any rate, I feel that this pattern is only for purists who want to go with manufacturers recommendation. Use it if you want, but thank god victor added some extra shared grommets for those who want to keep 4 knots.

20. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Do you mind if I ask where you tied your mains ? I strung a MX70 with 4 knots and when it was the time to tie off the mains, I was confused :p There is no dedicated holes for the extra knots, so I had to tie off at B10, which felt weird because there is already 2 strings in that grommet, making it 1 main, 1 cross, 1 main knot.