Veteran to play in four events

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    March 12

PETALING JAYA: National shuttler Wong Choong Hann, at 29 an aging veteran, has been thrown into a very taxing situation in his final Commonwealth Games.

Choong Hann will, for the first time, take part in four events in a badminton competition.

He has been fielded in the singles, doubles (with Choong Tan Fook), mixed doubles (with Ooi Sock Ai) and the mixed team event.

And Choong Hann is bracing himself for a gruelling time ahead.

“I have never competed in three individual events in a competition. Often, I am fielded in two events. This is going to be a new experience for me,” said the 1998 Commonwealth Games men's singles and team gold medallist.

Although the quality of the badminton competition in Melbourne will be lower than last December's Manila SEA Games, Choong Hann will certainly have his hands full running from one match to another.

“Hopefully, the matches will not be held too close to one another,” he said.

Of the three individual events, Choong Hann has a better chance of a podium finish in the men's singles and doubles events.

“This is my last Commonwealth Games and my aim is to reach the final in both the men's singles and doubles,” said Choong Hann, who won only a bronze medal in the men's singles at the last Games in Manchester. Hafiz Hashim was the gold medallist.

“It will be great if Malaysia can make it a 1-2 finish in these events,” added Choong Hann.

World number two Lee Chong Wei is the favourite to win the men's singles gold while Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat are tipped for the gold in the doubles.

“I have only trained four times with Sock Ai in the mixed doubles. I only knew recently that I would be competing in the mixed doubles event. But I will give my best,” he said.

Malaysia's top mixed doubles pair are Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty but the favourites for the gold medal are Athens Olympic Games silver medallists Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms of England.

After missing out on a medal in the mixed team event at Manchester, Choong Hann also hopes for better results in Melbourne.

Barring any upsets, Malaysia should take on defending champions England in the final.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I've never seen or heard a player play in all 4 events. Choon Han is definately a Yes man. It will be sad to hear if he doesn't land on any medals in the Games. Which i think will be unlikely. Just hope that he doesn'g get injured along the way.

3. terry

terry Regular Member

Well very hard to say pal! hope he can take at least one medal. Wish it will be MS too :cool: