@ Vancouver Sept 13-15....

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by kwun, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Re: Re: Don't Forget Your Racquet, Kwun

The airlines have guidelines stating that tennis and squash racquets are not allowed as carry-ons. They make no mention of baddy racquets, but from my personal experience, airport security (at least the ones in Toronto and Vancouver) will not allow us to take them into the cabin.

Security measures seems to be a little more lenient in Asia, as a few of my friends have brought their baddy racquets over as carry-ons before. But to be perfectly honest, I agree with the policy. Our racquets may be delicate and fragile, but it could be used as a weapon.

-Rick

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badrad, you think we are superman? :)

playing saturday night sounds cool. either gym is ok. will let you guys sort out which gym is more plausible regarding limited drop-in (C1) / guest drop-in (VRC). didn't you guys do a big BF meet before in VRC?

janet isn't too keen on Sun AM, i think she needs her beauty sleep..

i mailed ChiHo and he is leaving for a company event on saturday night, he suggested that we go to VRC in the afternoon. and then he leaves and you guys go join us in the evening.

Traum, thanks.... i think it depends on the airline + luck , i managed to bring it in sometimes but sometimes we get turned down as well...

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    oh c'mon! certainly children of your age can go on endlessly? hey, just a few weeks ago mrs. badrad and I had a 24hour badminton session with a few Japanese visitors. Are you saying you can't keep up with aged people? Ahhhh..... sounds like a challenge....

ChiHo's plan sounds good tho'. Saturday afternoon at the VRC, then take dinner break, and we meet up with the other group later the evening. Your fee for VRC is good for the day, so you have in/out priviledges.

Just note that Saturday afternoons have some time reserved for juniors, and there tends to be a lot. The evening, seniors have the priority.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Seniors have priority on Sat evening???!!! I don't see any. :D

The Japanese guests were very good especially the leaner one who jump smash all the time.

#24 Pete LSD, Sep 7, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  5. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    please let me boldly assume "seniors" means "adults" per badrad.

6. SChan

SChan Regular Member

#26 SChan, Sep 7, 2003
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so here is a plan. (woo...)

ChiHo , PeteLSD (+bro?) , Janet&Kwun , (badrad?) will be playing at VRC from 3-6pm. then we all head off to dinner.

then at 8pm, we head back to VRC, the main gang of BF'er will be there and we will play till our legs falls apart. i will make sure i bring extra powerbar / gatorade / water, and also ankle/knee braces for the extra support. if possible, i will bring a oxygen tank in case i collapse on the floor and need help breathing.

if interested, anybody can join us for dinner as pre-badminton social. probably light dinner as it will be before the game... or if there are 24hr food (noodles? pho?) places, we can have snacks afterwards.

janet is concerned about the dinner. she said she need to be fed well to play good badminton. help me out here guys. got any suggestions?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in the case of badrad, either definition of "senior" fits... oh i am in so much trouble... ;)

9. SChan

SChan Regular Member

are you talking about saturday or sunday?

#29 SChan, Sep 7, 2003
  10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Fed well? HON'S Chinese Restaurant is fabulous for that (Robson location - close but no parking, Richmond location - car parkade + good food), and for 24 hour eatery, No.9 Restaurant in Richmond is good for congee's, noodles, fried rice etc.

-dave

11. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Hey Kwun I hope you'll have a good time here in Vancouver. I just hope when you come, it won't rain. It was raining yesterday. If your girlfriend likes shopping, you can't miss metrotown centre. Its located in Burnaby though and I'm sure fellow BF members can guide you there if both of you are interested.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    saturday.

not sure about sunday plans yet.

wood_22_chuck : thanks. actually, i think i will let the locals decide where to go for food...

sgt_strider : i am keeping my fingers crossed.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I just found out I will be taxi-ing little badrad for a small fun tournament on Saturday afternoon over in West Vancouver. So I will have to meet up with you later at 8 or 8:30, or we could link up during dinner depending on your timing and choice of eatery.

If you want to stay close to the neighborhood at the VRC, there are plenty of decent little restaurants along Main street, Cambie or even Fraser, all within 5 to 10 minute drive from the club.

And there are also many late night (early morning) snack places as well to keep the hungry warriors fed. Variety is there suit any taste and pocketbook.

14. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Wow! Kwun's coming over here? :D
    another week off the computer and I would've missed this news! If there are enuff members to take another guest (me) into VRC then I wanna come and play until my arm falls off too! :D

15. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I probably will be able to make Sat evening (probably around 9:30ish) and hopefully can stay for the late night snacks too! :D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think i'll pop over too. I have booked the plane trip, now looking for a hotel around burnaby area. I'm aiming for arriving on sat. morn to noon time (13th) and return on next monday (15th) pm. You guys better tightens your badminton strings :p

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Tight String

mid 8 - 26 lbs (rest -> 24 lbs) X mid 8 - 27 lbs (rest -> 25 lbs) semi- proporational string job by Gary at Tad's. :D

#37 Pete LSD, Sep 8, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  18. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Cooler! Dude!

This will be a significant BF party! This really warrants Lower Mainland BF'ers to show up and participate.

I think we can stick with the Saturday afternoon/evening with the VRC plans. If you all still have enough energy we can plan some additional play activities for Sunday - that is after Janet's done her shopping...

Just a note though, Sunday afternoon several courts at the VRC have been booked for a fun tournament, so 3 courts will be tied up from 2-6 pm.

PeteLSD - what the????

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Cooler asks us to tighten our strings so I did. J/K :D :D :D

PeteLSD - what the????

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Okay - steam your shuttles...

PeteLSD? Get the kettle boiling? We're going to be going through plenty of shuttles this weekend!:p

#40 badrad, Sep 8, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2003