Unfair that a 12th ranked player, winner of Australia SS, is not in Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by galaxyduo, Jun 13, 2016.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

After all, badminton is an english invention, it is proper that AE keeps something special, for the roots

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    These are the winners of 2009 Super Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_BWF_Super_Series

And the winners of 2009 World Championships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_BWF_World_Championships

I believe the winners of the 2009 CNG can beat most winners of 2009 BWF Super Series.

As for 2009 CNG vs 2009 World Championships, I think it's 50:50..

(i) Lin Dan of CNG is about the same as the Lin Dan of WC
    (i) Wang Lin of CNG is certainly better than Lu Lan of WC
    (ii) Yu Yang / Du Jing of CNG can beat Zhang YW/Zhao TT of WC
    (iii) for MD, I will concede Cai/FHF of WC is better than Cai/Xu Chen of CNG. (No debate is necessary here.)
    (iv) for XD, I will concede Laybourn/Juhl of WC is better than HE/Zhao TT of CNG. (But obviously, the point is debatable).

At any rate, no one can say with confidence that 2009 World Championships were more competitive or tougher than 2009 China's National Games.

#682 pcll99, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I think I have to talk like Fortune to make my points.

If you notice, LCW does not even mention world championship unless someone brought it up.
    So by your logic, for LCW
    Commonwealth Games> World Championship
    So basically
    Parupalli Kashyap > Chen Jin.

Precisely.
    Also, if an event is once in 4 years, and is your last chance, then naturally you choose it over other higher rated events that are annual.

In 1985 Morten Frost was quoted as saying that he would much more prefer to win AE than world championship.

thljcl likes this.
  4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

No, he said of the 2013 CNG:
    "If you look at who they defeated on the paths to the finals, there cannot be any doubt in anyone's mind that 2013 National Games of China was one of the most coveted and challenging badminton tournament in 2013, if not more challenging than London Olympics 2012."

And to claim CNG in '09 was stronger lined up than say AE the same year, is outright ridiculous.

You have the same top-4 Chinese players, and then instead of all the Chinese nobodys, you have the world elite.

Try this:
    Pick which one CNG you feel was the strongest, then line up the participating players - just the 20 best ones - in order of strength.
    Now pick any SSP tournament you like from that year, and do the same - line up the 20 strongest players, in order.
    Try to simulate the two fields play against each other.
    If China gets even 5 points, you're cheating...

5. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Indonesia :

[JAKARTA] Taufik Hidayat will not be fielded in any tournament after the recently-concluded Invitational World Cup in China as he has to concentrate and focus on AG in Doha 2006 scheduled for 1-15 December 2006. As such, Taufik will not be participating in the 5-star Denmark Open held this week.

"It is enough for him now because forcing him to play too much will not make any good to his stamina," said Head of PBSI's Player Development Center , Rudy Hartono in Jakarta, Monday (30/10).

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-asian-games-for-taufik-hidayat.38326/

Malaysia :

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said: "The most important thing now is to be fully prepared for the Asian Games and aim to achieve our one-gold target. So the World Cup will be our last warm-up tournament," said Kim Hock.

"The only reason we are considering Mew Choo and Pei Tty-Eei Hui for the World Cup is so that they get a chance to play the top Chinese players.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/shuttlers-to-skip-euro-circuit.36891/

"On paper, the three silver should come from men’s singles, men’s doubles and the men’s team," said Kim Hock.

"The players must assume responsibility. Minor issues like Chong Wei’s accident should not arise at all as he is targeted to achieve silver."

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-malaysias-player-in-doha.37893/

how about China ?
    no need to tell too much

Chen Hong is not in the AG 06 squad
    Wang Yihan as well in 2010 edition

Denmark open 2006 / 2010 :
    Chen Hong and Wang Yihan was there to compete

Lin Dan, Bao CL, Chen Jin, Chen Long, Fu Hai Feng, Cai Yun and others...all was absent in Denmark open twice in Asian Games year

#685 Fortune, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    read post 685

Taufik is absent in Denmark just for Asian Games, though Denmark open held 3 weeks before Doha AG.

Swiss open & AE both only 4* events, even Germany only 3*,
    while Denmark is 5*
    Denmark open = higher prize money and ranking point

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?forums/2006-tournaments.129/

above is about 2006 AG
    now is for 2010 AG :

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...super-series-ms-q-list-version-1.89694/page-2

enough ?

Denmark - AG 2006 = 3 weeks
    TH and so many asian players skip Denmark for better result in AG

3 weeks is too short for them for stamina recovery
    how about All England that held in between other events ?

Swedish - AE - French 1989 : 3 in a row, won by Li Lingwei

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/find.aspx?a=8&oid=209B123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=309&id=2

even 3 weeks is too short for them, but now, 3 events in a row ??

Swiss - Germany - AE : 6 or 7 Korean players

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/find.aspx?a=8&oid=209B123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=8245&id=2

Germany GP - AE SS - Swiss SS : won by Wang Yihan, 3 in a row
    is this the tournament that they want to win the most ?

even I wanna ask, where is their respect to All England ?

#686 Fortune, Jul 8, 2016
  7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student

if even you can say which one is major and which one is minor,
    then why LCW can't say his own view ?
    again, who are you ?
    are you even greater than LCW so only you that can speak your view ?

remember, LCW never won WC
    but he is the two times CWG champion, also the defending champion.
    it is normal if he is proud of what he already won.
    just like Morten Frost Hansen

if for BWF : OG / WC > SSP, and even Asian Games not BWF official tournament...
    but if according to the player (LCW) : CWG > WC, so what is the problem ?

even TH publicly said : AG > WC

at least until now, except Morten Frost and for sure Rudi Hartono, and maybe Liem SK, no other player say SS / SSP include AE > OG / WC

now I ask you :
    how many players think SS/SSP incl AE > OG / WC ?

do you want to compare with how many players / head coach say OG / WC...or even AG > SSP incl AE ?

do you really want to know ?
    I can post in here, and let's count it.

but after all, at least LCW already say about WC and TC is among his main priority in 2014, but not about your SS / SSP that he win the most.

he is the king of superseries. where is SS / SSP from the list above ? :p

no mention at all about SS / SSP
    for him, AG > CWG > WC > SSP ;)

1. source please
    2. it is normal since Frost never won the prestigious WC
    3. it is normal since Frost know, he may never win the prestigious WC

age is catching up, because in 1985, he already 27 y.o.
    the best chance to win it, for sure, at home, two years before :

look at this :

1983 IBF World Championships in Copenhagen (Denmark)

MS #1 seed : Morten Frost Hansen (Denmark) : lost to Icuk in QF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_IBF_World_Championships

#687 Fortune, Jul 8, 2016
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Here re the winners and runners-up of 2009 CNG and 2009 All England.

Why do you say the 2009 CNG is not stronger than 2009 All England?

cng.jpg eng.jpg

9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Pcll99: You cannot say that one field is stronger than the other, just from who won it... CNG quickly become thin soup, where as AE has plenty of high level players.
    But even from the top two. You are saying that LD and BC are clearly stronger than LD and LCW?

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Looking at the past AE winners for the last 8 to 10 years, it comes as a bit of a surprise in women's singles:

Wang Shixian won twice, in 2011 and 2014;
    Wang Yihan once, in 2009;
    Tine Baun thrice, in 2008 (as Tine Rasmussen), 2010 (as Tine Rasmussen) and 2013 (as Tine Baun);
    Xie Xingfang thrice, in 2005, 2006 and 2007;
    Li Xuerui once, in 2012;
    Carolina Marin once , in 2015;
    Nozomi Okuhara once, in 2016.
    I understand, but first he said " one of the" and then " if not more challenging than LOG'12", not SSP such as AE.

Arguably, it's debatable your following counterclaim as you obviously have the advantage, at least on paper. Still, during those years, didn't we often see top players from the rest of the world such as Tine Baun being unceremoniously bundled out in the early rounds by some relative unknown CHN players in China? Like I said, pcll99 exaggerated but we get his point.

I think what he's trying to say is that, it's one thing to compare the relative strengths of tournaments like what you suggested but winning any tournament where the likes of Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai , Chen Jin of 2009 strength are on duty is as difficult as you can get anywhere relatively speaking. Anyway, it's just a minor issue no need to squabble over it. I believe he gets your point too.

pcll99 likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

pcll99,it's obvious you're comparing mainly the top-place finishers, winners and runners-up,whereas FeatherBlaster looked at the overall strength of the tournaments from top to bottom - both of you have different emphases hence the disagreements. No point wrangling further, I'd say.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

pcll99,it's obvious you're comparing mainly the top-place finishers, winners and runners-up,whereas FeatherBlaster looked at the overall strength of the tournaments from top to bottom - both of you have different emphases hence the disagreements. No point wrangling further, I'd say.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, I agree with you on that. It is not a good idea to compare just the best 2 or best 20. It is better to compare an average player of CNG against an average player of All England.

(i) An average player who had qualified for CNG started training for badminton by the age of 6 or 7 (latest 8). The average starting age globally is later.
    (ii) By the time they reached 12/13, the Chinese would be training full time.
    (iii) By 16, many if not most of them would be trained by former Olympic or WC medallists.
    (iv) By 18 to 20, many if not most of them would be training with or trained by a number of reigning or former Olympic or WC medallists.

But I concede that many if not most of them have little experience in international competition, unlike their counterparts in All England, which is why they have low or no world rankings.

Lastly, LD/BCL are not as good as LD/LCW. But Wang Lin/WSX are better than WYH/Tine; while Yu Yang/Du Jing are better than Zhang/Zhao.

#692 pcll99, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd find it strange that any player would think it easier to win the OG than any of the PSS when your aim is to get a medal at least, if not the title itself. Don't you think it's cold comfort to any player, esp the lower-ranked and unfancied ones who is fully aware of his chances just to progress to the QFs in either the OG or PSS, as if that's his/her only target?

Let's say, put yourself in Kevin Cordon's shoes, currently WR49, do you honestly feel it's really for him easier at the OG than in the PSS where practically the same consistent top 8 or 10 players are in attendance, for sure, Lin Dan, Chen Long, LCW, not to mention the rest ?

I mean you go to the OG or WC or PSS, or SS for that matter, to make your mark, win a medal of any colour, not to be knocked out in the early rounds, as if a R2 elimination is any better, a consolation, than a R1 loss. If that's your ambition, I feel sorry for you - you will never go far, even winning a GPG may be out of your reach where often players like Chou TC, Sho Sasaki, Nguyen Tien Minh pose serious obstacles though not insurmountable like the Super Trio.

By the way, I should warn you that Kevin Cordon is no shabby player for any R1 opponent. Chen Long can attest to that.

If you think Kevin Cordon is not a fair example, how about someone 'easier',say,Scott Evans, now ranked 71, was as high as 23 June last year, for those who think WR matters a lot ? If that's how you think, pathetic.

Even for Lin Dan, Chen Long and LCW, I'm absolutely certain, damn if I don't, the last thought on their minds is not who will be their R1 opponents, whether it's a Kevin Cordon or a Scott Evans, and upon learning it's a nobody ranked 150th from a god-forsaken country, immediately heave a sigh of relief. Needless to say, uppermost in their minds, is who will be standing in their way, their greatest threat, to mount the winner's podium for gold. Nothing more, nothing less.

I believe, the same applies to any tournament, China National Games included. Why do you think LCW cared enough to prepare for the Commonwealth Games, isn't it supposed to be a cakewalk for him? An event he can win hands down without any sort of preparation or whatever his form (70%?) or shape as long as he's not somewhat injured or sick, no ?

#693 Justin L, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...I guess with the Rio Olympics less than 30 days away, we're all getting restless.

Perhaps, we should've a thread titled " Everything or Anything about Rio'16" - that is, that doesn't fit into any specific or narrowly defined topic.:)