Unfair that a 12th ranked player, winner of Australia SS, is not in Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by galaxyduo, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Just because one tournament is more important than the other does not mean the latter is not important at all! Why don't you get this?

Airos likes this.
  2. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    LCW, together with the other 2 players who is the most successful in SS tournaments : Jung Jae Sung and Lee Yong Dae, together with the Reigning World Champion from China in 5 disciplines, together with 35 other players from Malaysia, China, Indonesia and Korea...all skip Denmark - French SS just for Asian Games :p

3. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    OG / WC is important...SS / SSP also important ? :rolleyes:

4. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I have made myself pretty clear. We do not claim that Superseries is BWF Tournaments or Level 1 tournaments. We do not even try to deny the fact. However, we have to recognize the fact that the difference in ranking points offered by SSP and Level 1 is pretty insignificant, less than 10%; in practice, it makes that SS circuit has greatest influence over World Ranking.

What we said repeatedly is that the players who played in SSP is of highest level, which is mostly true. In case you didn't notice, it's not possible for players to focus in all 12 SS tournaments. That's why, since 2011, BWF created SSP and required all top 10 players to play in SSPs. The player who skipped SSP must present valid proof that he is unfit to play or face disciplinary actions; he has to pay for USD 5000 in addition to normal withdrawal fee. There is no such rule for any other tournaments.

It's ALWAY recognized by BWF that Superseries is major event in calendar, at least at the official channel, badmintonworld.tv

"BadmintonWorld.TV is the official live channel of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), where we bring to you live, catch-up and delayed streaming of the major events on our calendar such as the MetLife BWF World Superseries and the BWF World Championships."

Every time a video was posted on YouTube, BWF would leave this description.

Airos likes this.
  5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Can't you figure that out for yourself? Olympics and WC are more important. That is the difference. Which does not by any means justify the opinion that SS/SSP are not important at all.

6. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Asian Games no ranking point, but why king of superseries together with all 5 reigning world champion plus the other 35 players all at the same time SKIP denmark - french ss just for asian games ?

again, who is support your claim that SS / SSP is important ?
    self claim only ?

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I'm not looking from that point of view.
    I'm looking from this :

AG > SS ... according to your idol aka king of superseries aka LCW

8. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    thlcjl,

In BC, which BWF tournament garnered the most users views in each of it's BWF calendar year and 28,000 discussions in 2008, 18,000 in 2012, and already very heated arguments even 30 days before the start in 2016?

I'll give you a hint, it's not a SSP :D

#648 badlove, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Fortune likes this.
  9. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

Again, not surprisingly, you used Badminton Central as proof. Or, the statements of some players or some people. My argument is based on BWF. Strictly speaking, it's not my argument at all.

10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    why top 10 players have to pay USD 5000 if they were absent ?

because of China National Games that makes China players skip Japan and Denmark SS 2009 ?
    or because China Badminton League that makes China players skip Indonesia - Spore SS 2010 ?
    or their winter training that makes them absent in Malaysia - Korea SS 2009 ?

if SS / SSP is important, no way China players would skip the tournament...the reason why there was USD 5000 as a fine since SSP era in 2011

11. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

It's rather narrow-minded. It didn't change the fact that right now BWF SSP is of highest level of competition.

Airos likes this.
  12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    so who support your claim that SSP is important ?
    self claim only ?

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Wow, not a very clever move to avoid the point I just made. I already stated that Olympics and WC, even AG, if you will, are more important than SS and SSP. But you keep on saying that SS and SSP are not important, which makes no sense to me.

14. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    it didn't change the fact that for king of superseries aka LCW, Asian Games is even more important than SS / SSP

15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    according to BWF :

The world badminton tournament structure has four levels:
    Level 1 (BWF Major Events),
    Level 2 (Superseries Premier and Superseries),
    Level 3 (Grand Prix Gold and Grand Prix Series), and
    Level 4 (International Challenge, International Series, and Future Series).

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14904

I quoted Fortune.

My argument is based on BWF. BWF of this earth. Which planet's BWF is yours? :D

16. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I'm not sure that you even read my posts. Still, I would want to reply to you. Asian Games thing does not even worth discussion here. So, I just use Olympic Games as example.

Repeatedly, you misquoted me as well as LCW. What LCW actually said,

"Olympic is different from Superseries because it was held once in every four years. Superseries is held practically every month. That's why I have to be mentally prepared."

LCW never said anything special about Olympic other than it is a rare event. In practice, the greatest challenge the player face is mental pressure as well as much less opportunity to win compared with Superseries.

The journalist did a poor job of reporting the news. But what is important here is what LCW said.

Airos likes this.
  17. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

We don't deny this overview at all. But we do have a greater in-depth look at the tournament structure in general. The argument that Superseries is top-tier is based on BWF. At this stage, only highest-ranked players are allowed/required to play at SSP. This is not even true for OG/WC.

"The MetLife BWF World Superseries is a circuit of 12 tournaments attracting the top 32 world ranked players in singles (men’s and women’s) and doubles (men’s, women’s and mixed)."

http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/about/

http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/2012/11/30/bwf-world-superseries-heading-down-under/

Yes, we are all based on the same BWF. But we accept the entire truth, not cherry-picking the partial truth that suit our interpretation.

18. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    ^
    thlcjl

LOL even your Malaysia's TV1 mentioned Olympic as "Kejohanan Major" or major titles where LD and CL will usually shine. :D

Fortune likes this.
  19. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

Ok. I have to admit that this station did a lousy job of reporting news. It mentioned "Taiwan Open".

20. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    which post ?
    give me again.

"No matter how much the difficulties, this is the 5 months. I will try my best for the Olympics that I have waited for 4 years."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-04/10/c_135265467.htm

waiting 4 years for something which is the same with SSP ?
    for what ?

21. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    if SSP is really important, then why LCW skip China open / SSP 3 times (2010, 2012, 2013) ?

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=50152&id=2

huge prize money and ranking point, then why he skip china open which he never won it before ?

what about WC / OG in the same year ?
    he was there...no doubt !