Two more female foreign-born players quit SBA

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Mas WS is now concentrate in higher level of tournaments rather than the Cap Ayam's:D:D

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

but you didnt missed me today though:p

3. dawei

dawei Regular Member

Zhang Bei Wen only 18 years old, there is still much room for growth. Her 13-year-old to the Singapore national team. Last year, leaving a period of time, there is no systematic training. She left because the coach could not adapt training methods Wang Junjie, Wang Junjie individual to coaches, training methods and crude,Zhang Bei Wen his personal prejudices, deliberately restrict his game.If Wang Junjie remains his coach,Zhang Bei Wen will have to leave. Now changed coaches, two months ago,Zhang Bei Wen been recalled, the coach is the ultra-small, she rose quickly achieved.

4. dawei

dawei Regular Member

Sorry! Now the coach of Zhang Bei Wen is DING Chao.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i hope u are correct...:rolleyes:

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cannot understand much of what you say, sorry.:D

7. dawei

dawei Regular Member

I am very poor standard of English.

8. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Doesnt matter your english is poor. U will still be able to survive.:D

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I am very sure you can speak a language that we, especially me would be very poor at...english is not be all and end all. Take it easy on yourself, nothing to apologize for.:)

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttler (Zhang Beiwen) grounded

TODAY

Zhang claims she's not allowed to train with national team

[​IMG]
    by Low Lin Fhoong
    05:56 AM Feb 25, 2011

SINGAPORE - She was once a bright young talent, but national shuttler Zhang Beiwen's fate now hangs in the balance.

The 20-year-old was suspended last month for disciplinary issues, and MediaCorp understands that coach Luan Ching has recommended that the full-time player be dismissed from the team.

The player told MediaCorp yesterday that she had attended a New Year's Eve party at a friend's house on Dec 31 and returned to the Singapore Sports School hostel on Jan 2, as training was only scheduled to resume the day after.

She claimed she had not flouted any rules, but Luan had informed her that he was suspending her from all training sessions effective Jan 5.

Said a clearly upset Zhang: "I feel I have been treated unfairly and I feel wronged. I explained to him (Luan) that I didn't stay out to defy him. I have done all I can and have apologised to him.

"The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) have not told me anything. It's really very upsetting to see my team-mates training, while I can't do anything apart from keeping fit on my own. This will affect my playing at the SEA Games (2011) and Olympic Games next year, as I need to chalk up ranking points."

The suspension has resulted in Zhang missing out on the Malaysia Open (Jan 18-23) and Korea Open (Jan 25-30).

The SBA declined to comment on Zhang's position in the team, but a source told MediaCorp that the player's contract is up for renewal next month and the association are still undecided if they should offer her a fresh deal.

Once ranked the highest in the national women's team at world No 31, Zhang was part of the 10-member squad that clinched a bronze medal at the 2007 World Junior Championships in New Zealand.

The 2008 Vietnam Grand Prix Open champion made her SEA Games debut in Vientiane in December 2009, winning a team bronze medal.

This is not the first time that the China-born shuttler, who obtained her citizenship in 2007, has had issues with her coach and association.

In April 2008, she left the national team to play in Malaysia and Taiwan, but returned to the fold seven months later.

Last May, she was suspended without pay for three months for poor attitude during training and tournaments, and for failing to carry out instructions from her coach.

Asked if her attitude had led to her current predicament, Zhang said: "I know I have a strong personality, but I haven't done anything wrong. I'm a direct person and I will say what I feel and maybe some people cannot accept that."

Should the SBA release Zhang, it will be a further blow to the national squad, which lost eight players after their 16-member Team 2 was disbanded last month, in what the association explained was part of their restructuring plans.

#111 Loh, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  12. george@chongwei

She should come and represent MAS then.. LOLX

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Why don't you send her an invitation?

On second thoughts you better not. Some of your countrymen frown upon FTs although they don't mind foreign coaches! :eek::rolleyes::D

#113 Loh, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  14. george@chongwei

I would give this honour to BAM;)

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Very generous of you! :D

Personally, I feel sorry for Zhang whom I consider to possess the greatest potential among our current batch of women singles players.

Despite being given another chance to repent for her past shortcomings, she has not learned to become a better professional and she is not very young at 20. :(

But the SBA will have a hard time deciding whether to drop her from the National squad as she was brought to Singapore when she was around 13 and the SBA is like a mother to her all these years. Just like any parent it is very difficult to 'disown' one's child for bad behaviour. :crying:

Zhang probably still doesn't realize that the famous ex-champion Luan Jin is trying to instill in all his trainees the need to "sacrifice" to be a true professional in order to achieve success. Luan Jin has been there and his experience is invaluable. Zhang should count her blessings to have such a respected coach!

And this makes it more difficult for the SBA. To make another plea for Zhang and to make Luan Jin forgive her misdeeds. I would think the decision now rests with Luan Jin.

And Zhang must apologise to her master sincerely once again or she will miss a gem of an opportunity to be great one day!

#115 Loh, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    End of the road?

The Straits Times

Mar 7, 2011

Shuttler may be out of national squad after being suspended again

By Lin Xinyi

[​IMG] Zhang was Singapore's highest-ranked female singles shuttler last year but her world ranking has since plummeted. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

NATIONAL shuttler Zhang Beiwen has been suspended again - the second time in six months the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) has punished her.

And, it remains to be seen if she will be retained in the national set-up when her contract is up for renewal later this month.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The rest of the news on Zhang Bei wen from the same Straits Times source

The 20-year-old has been suspended from all national training sessions since Jan 5 for disciplinary issues and is a notable absentee in Singapore's seven-member squad for this week's prestigious All-England championships. She has already missed the Malaysia Open (Jan 18-23) and Korea Open (Jan 25-30).

When asked if the SBA would renew her contract, high performance manager Chew Keet Hou would only say that a decision has not been made.

But The Straits Times understands that Zhang's future is all but over as singles chief coach Luan Ching no longer wants her in the national set-up.

The latest fall-out between coach and player took place at the turn of the year, after Luan felt that Zhang had defied his orders again.

According to a source, the coach had advised his players to take care of themselves over the New Year. He added that it was not within his control how they spent their holidays, but told them they had to get back to their hostels.

Zhang reportedly attended a New Year's Eve party on Dec 31, and returned to the Singapore Sports School hostel only on Jan 2 - the day before training was scheduled to resume.

"Because the coach said he was not in control, she assumed she could stay out. It seems like a misunderstanding," said the source.

The incident follows Zhang's three-month suspension without pay last May for showing a poor attitude in training and tournaments, and for failing to carry out instructions from her coach.

Zhang, who was the Republic's highest-ranked women's singles shuttler at world No. 28 last year, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

However, her ranking has since plummeted to No. 75, and she in now the lowest-ranked in the SBA stable, behind compatriots Gu Juan (48), Chen Jiayuan (51), Fu Mingtian (53) and Xing Aiying (57).

The China-born Zhang came to Singapore in 2003 under the Foreign Sports Talent scheme and became a citizen in 2007, the year she was part of a team that won bronze at the World Youth Championships.

But in April 2008, she left Singapore to play badminton for various clubs in countries like Malaysia and Taiwan.

She returned just seven months later and made her South-east Asia (SEA) Games debut in December 2009, winning a team bronze medal.

In her last competitive match at the Hong Kong Open in December, she stretched then-world No. 1 Wang Xin of China to three sets, before losing 15-21, 21-19, 16-21.

Although there is talk that Zhang will be allowed to take part in the trials for November's SEA Games, it remains uncertain if she will ever represent Singapore at another major event.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just found a picture of Zhang Beiwen when she was in her early teens.

Attached Files:

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Controversial China-born shuttler’s contract will not be renewed

NATIONAL shuttler Zhang Beiwen has paid the price for her string of disciplinary problems.

The 20-year-old, who has been serving a suspension since Jan 5 – the second time in six months the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) has punished her – was informed by the association that her contract, which expires next Thursday, will not be extended.

“It was not renewed,” Zhang confirmed to The Straits Times last night. “I have a lot of thoughts about this decision but I don’t want to talk about it... There’s no use talking about it.”

Officials at the SBA declined to comment when contacted yesterday.

Zhang’s latest punishment arose after an alleged falling-out with singles chief coach Luan Ching, who felt that she had again defied his orders by breaking curfew over the New Year period.

Described in the past as a “problematic player”, Zhang was subsequently dropped from the national squad and barred from all training sessions since the start of the year.

Last May, she had received a three-month suspension without pay for displaying a poor attitude in training and tournaments, and for failing to carry out instructions from her coach.

The China-born Zhang came to Singapore in 2003 under the Foreign Sports Talent scheme and took up citizenship in 2007 when she was part of the Singapore squad that clinched a team bronze at the World Youth Championships.

But in April 2008, she walked out on the national team to play for various clubs in countries like Malaysia and Taiwan.

She was eventually persuaded to return seven months later and made her South-east Asia Games debut in December 2009, helping Singapore to a team bronze medal.

Once the country’s highest-ranked women’s singles player at world No. 28 last year, she was a notable absentee from the Republic’s team sheet at both the Malaysian Open and Korea Open in January and also the prestigious All-England Championships earlier this month.

Her ranking, however, has since dropped to No. 74, making her the lowest-ranked shuttler in the SBA stable that include compatriots Gu Juan (No. 32), Fu Mingtian (42), Chen Jiayuan (48) and Xing Aiying (59).

But her ability on the badminton courts is unquestioned. At the Hong Kong Open last December, her last competitive outing, she took a set off then-world No. 1 Wang Xin of China before losing in three games.

While her chequered past has been well documented, Zhang’s future remains murky. When asked if she intends to stay in Singapore or return to China, she was again evasive.

“I’m still thinking about it, nothing is confirmed yet,” she said.

24 Mar 2011
    The Straits Times
    BY JONATHAN WONG

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D I guess you guys can skip that part of the newspaper already when you pick it up in a few hours ;)