Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Megatop

Megatop Regular Member

No problem faced so far hand carrying one racket on board Singapore Airlines.

2. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    So a 6 racket Yonex thermal bag would not be able to be brought onto the plane? How about a 3 racket bag?

I understand that the 9 racket bag is too large, just wondering if the other sizes would work.

*Taking the plane from the US to Hong Kong to China

#162 Jing09, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    6 racket bags is fine... 9 racket is too big.

4. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

I have just confirmed that the process was FREE and i did not pay any extra charges. I wasnt the one who sent the racquet off to the staff so i cant really remember. Sorry for the error!:p

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    when i was traveling around the pan american region from canada to trindiad and then to puerto rico and suriname in south america i had no problem carrying my badminton bag on the plane. i had a black knight 9 racquet bag but i did not pack it full all i had was my racquets, shoes, 3 shirts and 2 shorts and a track suit in it thats it so it was really thin and didnt take up much room since it could be "compressed" and i had no issues carrying it on any of the planes or anything but ill be going to asia this summer taking air canada though and i will be fine for taking it onboard the plane i have a smaller racquet bag this time for that but still wont be packing it full or anything.

6. jamiec269

jamiec269 Regular Member

Thanks for all your help

Im leaving at London heathrow airport, don't have a clue if they going to let me bring my 9 racket bag. but putting into a suit case is a really good idea but i prefer carrying all my racket with me.

is there any1 that just fly from london heathrow airport to HK??

7. ants

ants Regular Member

I have not flown from Heathrow to HK before. But Heathrow to KL ( Malaysia ). No problem with bringing racket on board. Even Swissport , Emirates, KLM , MAS is lenient.

8. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Bringing rackets on board

The other time i bring my racket bag to put clothing in it and checking it in at the airport( i like that bag as it has thermal compartment); the lady fr Jetstar ( at hong kong airport while return back to sg. While at Singapore JetStar, front desk girl didnt ask me when i check in n just put in together with other bags! Hong Kong is professional:D) put my bag specially aside, after asking her why my bag wasnt put together with other bags, i found out the airline can help us make special arrangement if we buy racket back from Hong Kong or bring racket t travel from Hong Kong to some where else:)
    Hereby i m of course not saying Hong Kong is best or the Jetstar lady from Hong Kong is very professional in what she do:D
    It is possible to bring racket back in one piece. It is just like some bringing their favourite desktop from one place to another. Of course i think to purchase insurance is important too!

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Just flew in to Tokyo this morning from Singapore.
    At the SIA check-in counter, I popped the question....

...and, guess what, they refused to allow my racquets in as cabin baggage! :(

10. jamiec269

jamiec269 Regular Member

is a 9 racket bag, is quite big, how many racket or how big the bag did u bring??

11. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    SIA wants to be known for bad service!

If budget airlines provide that service, shouldn't SIA must look into it:D
    OldHand, u must lodge a complain to SIA when u are back or do it while u are in Tokyo via email. Then u hand carry the racket mah or how u deal with the rackets?

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Here is some pictures of the badminton bag that i carry on board whenever i travel.
    As you can see its in the cabin. And how long and large is the bag when i put it up straight on the chair. Usually i have to hand carry. Badminton bag and laptop bag.

Took the pic just for you guys to see. Was reprimanded to switch off my phone. Hahha.. :)

Attached Files:

13. jamiec269

jamiec269 Regular Member

thats pretty good, I think I should be fine going to holiday with my bag then, Thanks ants...

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#174 ctjcad, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    merged. thanks for finding them.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Dont worry about it. Even if you guys feel insecure about checking in your rackets. Just ask the staffs to Label is as Fragile. Your items be safe. Being a frequent flyer for the past decade, i dont have any bad experience with any airline. Except once for lost luggage... however the airline found it and sent my luggage back to me in good condition. The luggage was diverted to another location.
    2nd incident was that the luggage was soaking wet as it was raining hard when the guys was transferring the items from the plan to the main terminal. I assume that they didnt manage to cover the luggage.

17. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Never a problem with traveling with my rackets before. Most airlines should be fine.

18. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

travelled a handful of times with my badminton bag checked in (with fragile tag too). no problem thus far, and hopefully never in the future.

i think as long as your bag has a fragile tag, those people would place it on top of other luggages. when it comes to handling a bag, i don't think throwing the bag would do much harm to your rackets. the only worry i have usually, is the bag being put on the bottom and the rackets getting crushed into those nano pieces that shaped them in the first place.

19. szekt

szekt Regular Member

They probably worried you might use it as a weapon; I once tried to bring a walking stick as hand luggage and they refused! btw, that walking stick wasnt for me :)

20. vanilla.

vanilla. Regular Member

Amazing.
    Fudge me then. I'm doing Singapore Airlines to SFO via HKI.
    I need to carry it on board. Do I ask if it's fragile? I hope I can get the same lady as you.

If I can't how much will it cost to send it not on carry on?