Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    I just carry it on board, so far no problem, but on domestic flight, might be it is restricted on international flight

#141 NisroL_JR, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

It depends on de company and your destination. Cathay Pacific wil nog allow it as hand luggage.

I often put de racket in the same suitcase with cloths. Also two times with the special baggage handling for odd sizes of fragile items. They were ok.

3. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I was carrying a single racket from HK to LHR London, BA allowed me to carry it as hand luggage as I only have another small bag with me.

Otherwise, if I have big enough suitcase, I would just put it between two layers of thick clothes. I have yet to break a racket by doing that. Honestly, the shaft of the newer rackets can stand pretty high stress. Unless have something hard inside your suitcase that can press on the racket, there should not be any problem.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Use a large enough suitcase (for check in), and sandwich the racket with loads of clothes, blankets, or pillow. I've been using this method for quite a few times, and so far, so good.

5. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    but if you're carrying 2 or more make sure the rackets dont grind against each other ;)

6. jamiec269

jamiec269 Regular Member

I am planing to go Hong Kong in the summer holiday, I want to bring most of my racket to restring in HK, because is hard to find someone that can actually do it properly in england

but now Im worrying about I cant bring it because my Pro Thermal 9 (9829) is too big to bring it on to the plane, and thats the only bag I got to cary around 6 -8 rackets.

so is there anyone been to holiday recently and know theres a chance of that badminton bag could get away with it??​

7. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    from what i have heard, you can use a small hand bag carry for your racquets, at least that's what my friend used when she went back to HK

i say use 3 racquet bag and use a cloth bag to put in all your racquets.

8. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    depends on which airline company you travel in and how picky the the inspectors when you board the plane. i remember asking the front desk and she said i cannot carry any on board but i've seen someone carry a single racket bag on the plane to and from hk tho but i can guarantee ~8 rackets will get you into unpacking your luggages. good luck.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The Hard Facts

Here's a guide from someone who always carries two racquets :p

Officially, the US NTSB has banned only a few sports goods from being taken on board as cabin baggage. These are Baseball Bats, Archery Gear (Bows & Arrows), Cricket Bats, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks, Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Cues, Ski Poles and Spear Guns.

Of course, these items may be carried in your checked baggage. But should you ever bring one of these to a security checkpoint without having packed it inside your baggage, you could be detained for quite a while and even prosecuted.

Since the 'NTSB's List' doesn't include racquets, some people (who are particularly good at persuading check-in staff) take the racquets along to the boarding gate either in their hand or in a racquet bag or backpack. This is when things turn ugly, especially when the TSO on duty or the airline staff are not into racquet sports.

Either the TSO will be ignorant of his own employer's rules or he will quickly make a new rule prohibiting the racquets' entry into the cabin (and the TSO is empowered to do so). Since this cannot-win argument develops just prior to boarding the aircraft, you have only two good options:

1. Allow the airline to check-in the racquets (and they will probably end up under someone's 30kg suitcase)
    2. Request special carriage - this means the racquets will travel separately as unaccompanied baggage within the cabin. There are three problems with this:
    (a) the TSO and the airline staff must both agree to this request
    (b) you can collect it only from the airline's counter at the destination... and the item will take at least an hour to reach the counter)
    (c) the airline might not have an open counter at the destination airport

The unfortunate part about international air travel is that the US NTSB's measures are widely and quickly adopted by aviation security agencies in other countries. So, these hiccups are to be expected in any country that zealously subscribes to NTSB alerts and updates.

Most international airlines will NOT allow racquet bags as cabin baggage because they exceed the length limit for hand-carried luggage. (With slight variations, the limits are 22 x 18 x 10 (inches) or 56 x 45 x 25 (cm) provided the sum of these three dimensions does not exceed 45 inches or 115 cm. By the way, these limits include wheels, handles, harnesses, protectors, grips, side pockets, etc)

Until last year, I used to optimistically approach the staff at the check-in counter with my racquets in a backpack (with the grips and a bit of the shaft protruding visibly). Except for Polynesian Airlines which flew me to Samoa, not a single airline ever agreed to let me take the racquets in as cabin baggage. (Sadly, I found that Samoans prefer wrestling to badminton :eek:).

The strange thing is, in Bangkok and Istanbul airports, I have seen backpackers with tennis racquets within the secure departure area! It's a real relief that at least a few countries aren't that paranoid.

IMHO, the safest bet is to arm yourself with a hard suitcase with a flapped upper compartment. (I use a very hard 31-inch Camel Active suitcase.) Note that the length of the suitcase must be at least 27 inches or 68cm to fit a badminton racquet.

Sheath your racquets in their covers and encase them within cardboard flaps before placing them inside your suitcase. Then check them in.

At least you can rest assured that when you arrive at your destination, you and your racquets are ready to play :D

PS: For Hong Kong too, the 'hardcase' method is my choice. Both Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have said 'No' to my hand-carry attempts :(

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Im surprised that Spore Airlines and Cathay dont allow you for handcarry. Reason i asked is that i didnt encounter that situation before when i fly Cathay and SA.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Last Monday, it happened with Thai as well.
    I'm taking Singapore Airlines tomorrow... and, having lost all optimism, I've already packed my racquets.

You must be special :)

12. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I took my two racquets with me from China-HKIA-Vancouver Airport. No oppositions there. I travelled with Cathay Pacific. But my racquets are in my backpack, not in a designated racquet bag.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i specifically asked the Singapore Airlines check in counter lady about bringing badminton racket as hand carry. and the answer was "YES". but this particular lady was especially nice and courteous so i am not sure if that is the real rule or she is being nice.

i have kept my large hardshell suitcase that i have used since i was 14 specifically to put badminton rackets. i found that either wrapping them in clothings or put them in a 6 racket bag and then into the suitcase works fine for me.

many modern style suitcases are either not hardshell nor large enough to comfortably fit badminton racket in them.

14. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

im going back this summer to HK but i'm buying more racquets instead of bringing my current ones to HK :D

15. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I buy racquets from HK too. I only bring my racquets back for restring and when I don't feel the need to buy racquets.:D

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I suppose the reason these airlines are singling me out is because I look mean and intimidating (kinda like jamesd20), more so when armed with a racquet :(

Anyhow, I feel more comfortable when my precious racquets too are comfortable within the confines of a hard suitcase :p

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Well.. its not the airline's fault then. :p So smile more bro. :)

18. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

Hi all

I bought a Yonex AT900T from Singapore last December and travelled back to Sydney via Jetstar Airywas (a budget airline company part of Qantas). Despite the fact that i was only carrying 1 racquet in and 1 racquet bag, the staff did not let me hand-carry it into the plane, and thus I had to pay extra to send it toagther with the luggage compartment. I was quite angry at first, and got even angrier later when i arrived in Sydney to find the staff saying that my racquet was missing:mad:. They only found it a few days later and immediately sent it straight to my house.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Flight to Australia and even flights within Australia is very strict. They dont allow you to bring any hand carry that contains racket to the cabin.

20. ongbenghui

ongbenghui New Member

Mind if I ask how much do you have to pay for it ?

Will be going to china soon and will be bringing my rackets along. 2 badminton and 2 tennis. Dunno if they will fit into my hardcase.