Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

should be not big problem, just put into your normal racket bag (for 6 or more rackets) and have it checked.
    the last airline who didn't allow to carry even a one racket is AirAsia. It started on January 2011.
    I got them wrapped at the airport, and pay 10 ringgit, get a sticker, and arrive safely.

2. NeoDestiny0

NeoDestiny0 Regular Member

So, from skimming through this thread, I realized that each individual's experience varies depending on the airlines and the people in charge of security, right?

This worries me, as I am heading to Taiwan over the summer and I was planning on bringing back one to two badminton rackets back to the US. Therefore, for my situation, what is the best viable option for me to take?

-Make an attempt to hand carry the rackets onboard in their original soft case. (Although, I also have a backpack with me, so I'm not sure if the racket cases count as additional carry on bags)
    -Stuff the rackets in my check-in luggage bag, right in between some layers of clothes, and pray that the rackets survive.
    -Or check the rackets in separately and label them as fragile?

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    so.. you are saying checked the bag and put it as fragile item?

what if, I use hard plastic luggage like this?
    [​IMG]

and put my badminton racket in there and cover it with clothes

is it safe? because I will hop 3 times, to London, Singapore and then Indonesia
    you can imagine they will throw the bag 6 times (when they load and unload it)

maybe I should carry it.. but it's too much hassle, not only because it is big, but also because of Indonesian custom

4. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

Indonesian customs is easy to handle ...
    but you can try .....

5. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

So let's say I travel with my BR-309 (9 racket bag) from Toronto - Philippines, would it seem safe that I can manage to squeeze everything inside the overhead compartment (assuming I only bring a couple clothes to put in between my rackets (4 of them with cases, but 2 RSL racket cases are REALLY skinny) & also just in case luggage gets delayed)
    Or does it all depend on the airlines dimensions of the overhead compartment?

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

a week ago i traveled from Beijing to Bangkok, handcarrying my badminton bag. the bag was enough to fit 4-6 rackets (2 compartments) but i managed to squeezed 9 rackets (8 rackets were strung at least 26Lbs, and 1 new racket ordered by friend of mine), then i put some clothings, socks, grips, a rolled-poster, few nokia handphones, and other small stuff inside the bag. i weighed the bag was about 5~6Kg overall. All safe by the time plane landed... probably because i handcarried them. Otherwise if i had placed them as check-in baggage, one or few of the rackets would have been crushed.

7. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering that I'm traveling to Taiwan in few days and going from Los Angeles to Taipei taking China Airline. Will I be able to hand carry my bag on the plane? my bag will have probably 4 rackets in there.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is best for you to contact China Airlines

It is best for you to contact China Airlines to get your answer.

9. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    They said they allow it but it all really depends on the security check at the airport :(.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Now, you have to contact the security check at the airport to get your answer. :):):)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Last year, I took Cathay Pacific to London from Hong Kong (after the Olympics ). I had an ordinary back pack and carried two racquets in a thin cloth bag as hand luggage. No problems in HK.

On the return, check in with the racquets was not a problem. However , at the X-ray section, the security guy picked up my racquet bag and the conversation went something like follows :

him : Badminton racquets, sir? (serious look on his face )
    me: yes (me nodding and now thinking the worst )
    him: (in a sudden gush of words) I love badminton! Did you see the Olympic final between the Malaysian and the China guy?
    me : Lin Dan? (amazed at the now smiling security guard)
    him: Yeah. Fantastic match.
    me : do you play much?
    him: only once a week. I bet you are really good. Do you coach?
    me : erm, okay . I coach a bit.. (a bit shocked at talking about badminton coaching with this guy )
    him: Can you coach me then? (now looks back and next person is coming along ). OK, sir. Have a good flight...
    me : bye (pick up stuff and move on in a slightly stunned fashion )

London Heathrow, you made my day. :)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "the China guy"?

he need to show some respect!! :D

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

He was hoping that Cheung was the China guy. ;)

14. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I guess the security scene has changed a lot since 911. I don't have issues with customs whenever I hand carry my rackets. In fact, only my bag went through the x-ray machine. My rackets are on my hand.

But carrying scissors is another issue.

15. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

[MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION], you could've totally used this moment to own him... assure him you can make him better if he follows your instructions, and make him do some weird Twister-style warmups right there haha (j/k ofcourse!)

16. Bluberry

Bluberry Regular Member

I know this is a long shot and raising up a thread back from the graveyard but I just want to ask if anyone has had any exp going from LA back to the Philippines with their rackets as handheld. Asking because I suddenly have to go back mid high school season and I dont want to just idle while my team mates are fighting hard back here in US while I'm at PH. Oh and Im planning to use an RSL explorer backpack that holds few rackets and my shoes if that helps.

thanks in advance
    -Dan

17. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I think with the current security climate in the US, it would be impossible to hand carry more than 1 racket aboard. It's also down the the airline I guess, I have seen people being rejected for carrying rackets, i.e. has to checked in as fragile/oversize/heavy baggage. Best thing to do is to contact your airline in advance and make special arrangements, just like in the case of a disable passenger carrying a wheelchair.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Phone in advance, and they will invariably say not possible to cover themselves.

Would racquets in Philippines be cheaper? It might be better just to buy a new one there.

19. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I read some people said it is more expensive in Philippines. plus it seems there are a lot of fakes there.

I used small bag from bank / travel agent (you know it) and put my racket there with the end sticking out
    no problem from and to China & Indonesia

20. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Would i be okay to hand-carry Victor bag ACE690 (square looking one) with 6 rackets on it to the plane? I'm sure the dimension of the bag itself is oversize enough as what they allowed except the weight less than 7kg.