Training with Stiffer Racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Azmi Yusof, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

So here's my situation, my current main racket is the Astrox 88D 3U, but my previous main racket before that was a Voltric LDF 3U. Comparing this 2 racket, i find that VT LDF is stiffer of the 2.

I want to start doing wall drills frequently and i don't want to use Astrox 88D since it would wear out the strings/tensions fast (i play 1-2hrs session 3-4 times a week). Since i have a backup VT LDF lying around, i figured i could use that for wall drills since the string/tensions won't matter as i'm not using it for playing.

I'll also increase the tension on VT LDF by 1lbs so it'll settle to a higher (than my normal) tension since i'm going to use it frequently.

Since Astrox 88D (due to NAMD) acts like a stiff racket during compact stroke/swing like drive and smash defense (which a good technique requires a compact stroke/swing based on coach Lee@Youtube), i figured it won't make much difference and won't affect my timing etc.

Is there anything to be concerned about by doing this?

Here are few extra details on my motivation to do this:
    1) I am currently 100% Men double player.
    2) The main reason for wanting to do wall drills is because i want to improve my smash defense (which i find lacking) with also hope of secondary benefit of sharpening my drive stroke (which i'm not bad at).
    3) I acknowledge that on the court drills with a partner is a much better option, but due to lack of coach & shuttle feeding partner, this is not an option. Plus, i want to find something to do to improve myself at home.
    4) This will be done on top of my regular home drills like shadow footwork, shadow stroke (smash/clear) drills & quick feet exercise.

#1 Azmi Yusof, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Azmi Yusof

Any advice?

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Just sell the VTLDF and buy another AX88D?

I'd just use the main racquet, the wear will be minimal on wall drills anyway since you won't be putting much power through.

4. Azmi Yusof

Still like to keep my Vtldf since it was my previous fav racket (I tend to collect fav rackets and only sell those that was never fav)

As for wear, I'm using BG66 Force which kinda loose tension pretty fast.. 3 weeks tops with 2hr session 3-4 times a week.. So a more frequent activity like the wall drill will definately wear out the tension faster..

In saying that..all 3U version of the 88D is out of stock at my local area and Im kinda waiting on more astrox 99 review to see if u did just get another 88d or not..

Plus.. Am also curious if training with a stiffer racket have any benefits if at all..

5. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Some badminton academy in Malaysia are doing shadow footworks with a squash racket

Fyi

6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I'm saying wall drills are low power, so although it's higher frequency, it's much less wear on strings. It's like many of the female players in my club (particularly mixed only players) break a string maybe twice a year even strung at 26lbs+ playing 2-3 times a week with BG66UM.

It's not just what you're using, but how you're using it.

As for a stiffer racquet on wall drills, anything that isn't your main racquet is likely to be detrimental if in prolonged use. Like mentioned, a squash racquet can help if you limit to 10-20 mins work and switch. A stiffer racquet will make minimal difference except possibly throwing off your timing and/or giving you the wrong feel. Same with a more flexible racquet or one with a compact head.