Training partner in Greenwich area, S.E. London

Discussion in 'UK' started by Jun_W, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Guys and gals(?), :]

Thanks for the replies.

For the casual knockabouts, I'm thinking that we could hire our own court in the weekends between 4-6 people? If we hire a court for, say 2 hours at first, we could do doubles (or singles) matches and rotate/spectate; then see how that goes. I had in mind to have the badminton meets on Saturday 1-3pm but any other time of the week would also be fine for me (e.g. tues, wed, fri).

Inlandice, would you be able to meet at the Waterfront in Woolwich?

If any of you guys are interested, let me know and i'll book the court and confirm the times. You could either reply here, PM, or e-mail me on: thomasvong@f2s.com

Thanks

#21 Jun_W, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    i usually have a knock about with my friends on sundays, so i would like to play on wednesday but any other day would still be alright, i don't think i will be going to the coaching lessons, but i would like to have a doubles knock about with u guys :)

i only live about 15mins away from waterfront as i live in bexleyheath so travel isn't an issue for me

3. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Hello all,

I've received some replies via PM/email, and it seems that weekday evenings will be the most suitable for most of us. (e.g. due to weekend job, or other weekend commitments). As of this, I've managed to book a court for Wednesday evening from 8:30pm-10:30pm at The Waterfront Leisure Centre. (consists of three 40 min sessions).

Each session costs £6.55; and as a full member I get one session for free, so the total cost of booking for the evening is £13.10. We'll split this between the number of people who turn up?, so it shouldn't cost too much individually. Entrance fee for non-members is £1.55.

The chosen timeslot should allow as many interested players to join in. I apologise for those of you who cannot make it for Wednesday evening, but we'll see how this goes.. and adjust the times later on if required. However, (and for those who are extra keen in playing/training :)) I'll be up for arranging another meet-up on another day of the week (just let me know). Also, i thought id mention that, off-peak court sessions during the afternoon/weekend are 1 hour long (as opposed to 40 mins during peak time) so it means extra knockabout time, or lower cost.

Again, if you have any questions or suggestions, you can contact me via PM, email, or phone (i'd give that out via PM). Anyway, I look forward to seeing you guys on Wednesday.

#23 Jun_W, Aug 29, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  4. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    I forgot to mention, the booking is on Court 4; and I will bring some shuttlecocks.

Regards,

Tom.

5. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    erm.... could u let us know on here how many people are going? well how many people u know are definitly going and where do you meet up before going in?

6. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    3 for definate (bluesky, Ronald, and myself).. and if the 4th person doesn't change their mind (currently awaiting email confirmation), then 4 people. I'd expect a turnout of around 4-6 people. :]

hmm... shall we say, meet outside at the entrance at 8:20pm?

#26 Jun_W, Aug 29, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  7. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    hmm i think i might turn up, but it'll be a late decision.... are we all chinese here?

8. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    no probs.

as for meeting up, it'll be a better idea if we meet inside on the court (no.4); it'll be less hassle i reckon, and if the court is already free we could start playing early. :]

9. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    hey i was just wondering... how did this go? how many people turned up?

10. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    vienly, i've sent you a PM..

11. katuskak

katuskak New Member

Hi!
    CAn you write here more info about that club (Elephant and Castle (Crescent badminton club). I'm in SE london and I'm looking for badminton club where i can play.

Hi,

There's a club in Elephant and Castle (Crescent badminton club), and they accept players from intermediate level. I don't think there are any clubs in the Greenwich area though .. Are you looking to play matches, or just to train, or both? The only other official club i know of is Wimbledom badminton club in SW London.[/QUOTE]

12. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Ive never been to the club so I can't say what its like, but this URL should provide some info: http://www.crescent.badmintonfans.co.uk/

13. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Badminton @ The Waterfront - Tues 14th Sept.

Hello all,

As dicusssed after our last successful badminton meet, another court has been booked at 'The Waterfront Leisure Centre' in Woolwich for Tuesday evening (14th Sept), from 8:30pm to 10:30pm.

For others who may be interested, we had 5 people turn up for the last session, and got some good doubles matches in. Our level of play is beginner-intermediate level, and anyone of any level is welcome.. just let me know via PM if interested.

Entrance fee for non-members to Leisure Centre is £1.55 (free for members), and court fee shouldn't cost more than £1.65 each, between 4+ people, for the evening. Shuttles will be provided.

Regards,

Tom.

14. ahkleung

ahkleung Regular Member

Hi all,

I have just moved into the Docklands and am interested in joining you guys to have a knockabout :) Is there any more sessions coming up ?

Drop me an email at ahkleung AT hotmail.com (Replace the AT with @)

Anthony

15. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Hi there ahkleung

I've been there for the past 2 weeks and have met Jun_W and SamYeung, both very nice people, I think Jun_W/SamYeung are the people to contact (pm) if you would like to know more, although they haven't posted anything about this coming tuesday

16. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Badminton @ The Waterfront - Tues 5th Oct.

Thanks vienly for stepping in.

Sorry, I've been out of action lately due to an injury, so didn't get round to organising a session for the Tuesday just gone. However, I reckon I should be fine by next week. I will send out a confirmation email, with details of next Tueday's session, to those already interested.

Again, any other interested players are welcome to come along. The session is from 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Just let either myself or SamYeung know via PM or email if interested.

Tom.

17. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    update

Update:

Due to ongoing replies and messages, I should inform others that unfortunately, this group doesn't play on Tuesday evenings anymore. :(

However, if anyone is still looking for a group/club to in the evenings, there are open badminton sessions at the same leisure centre on Monday and Thursday nights. These run from 8:30pm till 10:30pm and are open to anyone.

They have players of mixed ability playing mixed or men/women's doubles games. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

18. kevin.kga

kevin.kga Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi guys,

I've just discovered a place in island gardens just outside of the Island Gardens tube station where courts can be booked per hour (£7). All I need now are players. Anyone interested? Island Gardens is only 10 mins away from CanaryWharf. This is ideal for anyone in Island Gardens, Mudchute, Crossharbour, South Quay, Heron Quays and Canary Wharf.

I am mainly a singles player and this is one of the rare opportunities to get singles games in the UK. I noticed that singles isn't very common in this country. Please contact me if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Kevin