Training partner in Greenwich area, S.E. London

Discussion in 'UK' started by Jun_W, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Hello all,

I am a beginner level player situated in South East London (Greenwich Borough area) and looking for a training partner to practice with; mainly to improve on serves, drop-shots, smashing, positioning, etc. I'm a full member of a local decent leisure centre and have free court booking privileges; but also don't mind travelling to nearby places. I have a few months playing experience, and wouldn't mind practising with someone above or below me. If anyone is looking to improving their playing as well, and need a practise partner, let me know! :D

Jun.

2. Ronald

Ronald Regular Member

Jedi Apprentice
    Partner?

Hi there,

I am too looking for a badminton club around london. Are there any clubs in Greenwich?

Cheers!

Ron

3. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Hi,

There's a club in Elephant and Castle (Crescent badminton club), and they accept players from intermediate level. I don't think there are any clubs in the Greenwich area though .. Are you looking to play matches, or just to train, or both? The only other official club i know of is Wimbledom badminton club in SW London.

4. Ronald

Ronald Regular Member

Jedi Apprentice
    Hi there.

Jun,

Its a bit far though, if its fun , i wouldnt mind traveling. Are u a member of that club? Wat other clubs do u go to?

Im an average player, but would like to improve. Dont mind playing any, doubles, singles. Whether, social games or matches.

If u have more info, please let me know...thanks!:)

5. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Ronald, i saw your name on the bbc forum board aswell, are u the same person?? sounds like it... i live in bexleyheath :) thats close to greenwich

6. bluesky

bluesky Regular Member

civil engineer
    hi, i;m up for a knockabout aswell, i;m also in SE london. give me a shout if your interested.

vien, i also saw your name on the bbc board! man, this is a small world :eek:

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

bbc

Excuse me guys, but what bbc forum? Is that the Olympics forum or is there a bbc badminton forum I don't know about?

8. bluesky

bluesky Regular Member

civil engineer
    hi... nah, nothing to do with olympics or badminton... just a british born chinese forum :)

9. Inlandice

Inlandice Regular Member

I am at Canary Wharf

I can play I am a beginner level. I go to the Reebok club it is £7.50 for non-members. I can also travel if you are not to far.

10. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Reebok

Isn't the Reebok club a health club? I didn't know they had badminton courts there.

What kind of club do they have? Is it just an anyone can turn up and play sort of deal? When do they play and how many people are there?

Thanks

11. Inlandice

Inlandice Regular Member

Reebok is a health club. It just recently allowed non-member to play badminton. Court is £4 and each player pays £7.50. Link: http://www.reeboksportsclublondon.com/

You need to book court in advanced. I am available this weekend if you want to play.

12. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Wimbledom does seem like a bit of a trek from East London.. I'm not a member there myself (or any other club), but have checked the website, and it does sound good. Crescent Badminton club prefers players of intermediate level; and i'd class myself as beginner so I haven't checked it out yet; perhaps later on with a few more months of practice. :p

Ronald, bluesky, I'm interested in having a knockabout locally.. Perhaps we could arrange a session and see how that goes. I could book the sessions if either of you are interested.

The Waterfront has badminton drop-in sessions weekly on Monday and Thursday evenings, between 8:30pm and 10:30pm. Anyone can turn up and players can be of any level. There are four courts available, and players take turns to play doubles matches it seems. Admission cost for each session is about £2-3 per person.

13. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    i wouldn't mind playing either

waterfront drop in sessions? who organises it?? can complete strangers go in and play such as me?

14. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    cool, more interest :) ok, we'll have to see what the others say first and arrange accordingly. Im also up for singles games.. bearing in mind im still a beginner.

Im not sure who organises the sessions; but I do know that a coach called Leslie is usually there and gives advice. I got a chance to speak to him yesterday and he mentioned that anyone (of any level) can turn up.

#14 Jun_W, Aug 27, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  15. bluesky

bluesky Regular Member

civil engineer
    i'm up for playing aswell :) if it's at the waterfront then even better!

16. SamYeung

SamYeung New Member

IT
    Me too ( SE London - Abbey Wood :( )

Hi All,

Did you guys manage to get together for a game? Im in Abbey Wood (work in the City) and would really like to get back into Badminton. A casual club or just a bunch of friendly people meeting up in SE london (preferably near public transport) would be ideal.

I used to play a fair amount when I was a school/college/uni - but havent touch a racquet in nearly a decade, and pretty out of shape :(. If anyones got a spot open for another rusty beginner, please give me a shout.

Sam Yeung.

17. Ronald

Ronald Regular Member

Jedi Apprentice
    Hi Jun,

Cool.......

If u can organise it, im more than commited to come on a regular basis. Monday or Thursday will be fine.

Please leave me a PM if u can confirm this with the others interested aswell. Cheers!!

(alternativly, my email/msn is chilungkan@hotmail.com);)

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Probably more than a few are in both forums! :)

19. SamYeung

SamYeung New Member

IT
    woolich/plumstead badminton sessions

Hi, Just thought I'd share some info with others who might be interested.

I've just rung up waterfront leisure centre and plumstead leisure centre to find out about their badminton facilities. Both centres have 4 courts, and have open/coaching sessions on Mondays and Thursdays.

Just to confirm what Jun mentioned earlier, waterfront leisure centre has coaching sessions on Monday and Thursdays from 8.30pm. The lady I spoke to also mentioned a club on Fridays at 8pm.

Plumstead leisure centre (about 5-10 minutes away) also has 4 courts and open coaching sessions on Monday, starting at 7.40pm, and Thursday starting at 8.20pm. Although she did mention that the comming monday being a bank holiday, it was going to start at 1pm.

(more details about both leisure centres at http://www.gll.org/borough/borough.asp?CategoryID=56 )

I think Im going to go along to both centres on Monday to see what its like - hopefully I'll see some of you there?

Sam.

20. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Thanks Sam for the full details. I'm thinking of going to these sessions as well as I live nearby.