training before tournaments

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by lkomarci, Apr 28, 2007.

1. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

hey coaches,

what kind of training do you make about a day or two prior to tournaments? do you tell your players to do footwork and stuff or just light trainings?

i work with this kid who's been playing really great in the past year or so, and he's got this tournament on monday. i was thinking of a bit of defense, drive and some basic attacking style exercises.

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Just remember, with only 1 or 2 training sessions, your student won't be learning much. So, instead of focusing on building up your skills, focus on making sure that whatever your student can do, he/she can do very well and with good reliably. Make sure that confidence is good going into competition, and that the body has some chance to recover.

3. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

aah jeez, sorry. What I mean was..a week or two :)

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It can take up to 12 days for your body (nervous system in particular) to fully recover from intense or intensive training. So, your last heavy training session should be around two weeks from the competition. Don't worry, if you've been training hard your muscles won't atrophy from additional rest. Even bodybuilders will take 1-2 weeks off every 1-2 months and come back bigger.

In the remaining time, play some short matches, use them to figure out what to fine tune, then fix those problems to build up your confidence.

A problem with many people is that they push themselves too hard leading into a competition. Then when they finally get to the competition, they start off a little bit tired, though that fatigue is often masked by adrenaline. By the time they make it to the finals, that added fatigue can take its toll. Or if they don't make it far, they wonder why they couldn't turn it up a notch. Then, a couple of weeks after the tournament, after lots of rest, they suddenly find themselves able to play very well!

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D:DI would make it a light trainig session. I would suggest play some matches , and highlite Positives and negatives then work on the negatives.:D

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    I set myself timeframes until tournaments. So my next tournament and my first tournament this year is the Brisbane Badminton championships. On 23rd and 24th of May.
    So i will be training very intensively up until 1 week before. That final week before the comp i will be going from training to gameplay. Thinking and focusing on purely playing matches and gameplay.

7. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    How about do heavy training that you think it is light training?
    What I mean is , thing that should be heavy training , it turn to light training because you use to it
    Is it ok?